Out of Stock items no longer showing in Hornby store

Moccasin

It’s hopefully a temporary thing or glitch, but Out of Stock items aren’t showing for me in the TT120 pages. They don’t even come up in search results, for example the Easterner TXS set and straight platform.

It’s possible the two launch sets are about to be replaced by the British Pullman and the Mainline Express (both of which appear to be the same locos/carriages but swapped around and with different liveries). So Green BR A1 with MK1s and Blue LNER A4 with Pullmans.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2024 at 6:27 PM, Dodge1707823134 said:

The out of stock items, look like they are back...

Dodge - I am still waiting the BR Blue 08 and the Carless Petrol tanker - they are not showing and will more be produced? Anybody know?

4 minutes ago, Taff TT said:

Dodge - I am still waiting the BR Blue 08 and the Carless Petrol tanker - they are not showing and will more be produced? Anybody know?

Suggest you contact Hornby themselves as we’’d all be speculating. Neither the 08 nor the tankers are showing as “unavailable” which I think generally means discontinued, but I imagine that factories are currently busy producing the various other diesel models that are due and so another batch of either model may be some time away. They may do another batch of the Blue 08s with the Green 08 that’s due in the autumn.

• Like 1

I wonder if the Blue 08 has been discontinued? It's no longer shown in the shop and you cannot search for it. However you can still get to it via the following URL: https://uk.hornby.com/products/br-class-08-0-6-0-08489-era-7-tt3001m. It was still in the shop a few days ago.

The Carless tanker is still in the shop as an out of stock item.

My speculation about it being discontinued is based on 2 of the Crimson MK1 coaches being in the last chance to buy section indicating a rationalisation of the current range ahead of the April announcement although I am surprised if the Blue 08 is actually discontinued given how popular it was. Maybe the Green 08 is it's replacement a case of Hornby giveth and Hornby taketh away!

As has previously been mentioned by @96RAF the ‘last chance to buy’ is merely used for encouraging sales of slower moving stock, rather than an accurate indication of imminent discontinuation.

I’d be surprised if any items in the TT:120 range were at particular risk - considering the success of the range as a whole.

Edited by LTSR_NSE
Typo

I wouldn’t be so quick to assume that some items will become available again in the near future. As modern manufacturing dictates models are made in batches and the factories that make them have a set number of production slots, some models could take a while before they come back round again. The pre-order system does give a manufacturer some indication of demand but it’s not an exact science. 

49 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

I wouldn’t be so quick to assume that some items will become available again in the near future. As modern manufacturing dictates models are made in batches and the factories that make them have a set number of production slots, some models could take a while before they come back round again. The pre-order system does give a manufacturer some indication of demand but it’s not an exact science. 

This is true. As Hornby's TT120 catalogue says:

"The range shown will be varied in future years. Enthusiasts are invited to obtain their requirements while they are in current production."

The possibility of some of the products being phased out in April is relatively high. I'm thinking Trigo, Nighthawk, Silver King, and Falcon are the ones to go. They'll obviously keep selling the models they have in the system, but I think new variants of the A3s and A4s are high probability. I think they'll keep The Flying Scotsman and Mallard around for the foreseeable future because they're icons. They could phase out the A1 Flying Scotsman for the A3 version. And they could release Mallard under BR. That would give modelers (like PeachyTT120 😆) who already own the Flying Scotsman and Mallard a reason to purchase new versions. It would also allow them to release a new A1. 

Phasing out the MK 1s seems less likely. Never say never, but those are a critical building blocks for passenger trains in Eras 4 and 5. Interestingly, all the Pullmans (except one last Brake 3rd in stock) have been delisted from the Gaugemaster website (no preorders). New versions of the Pullmans with different names are a high probability 

Edited by Generic Hornby Username

Personally I hope Hornby discontinue certain items and renumber, rename, relivery etc. I want an A4 in silver, Bittern, Sir Nigel Gresley etc. new 7 plank wagons, Pullmans with new names. An 08 class in LMS black. Never mind actual new models like a crane or 12 wheel Pullmans, 6 wheel tank wagons. I'd actually be quite happy if once a model run has sold out it is gone for a long time if not for ever.

9 hours ago, PeterM67 said:

I wonder if the Blue 08 has been discontinued? It's no longer shown in the shop and you cannot search for it. However you can still get to it via the following URL: https://uk.hornby.com/products/br-class-08-0-6-0-08489-era-7-tt3001m. It was still in the shop a few days ago.

The Carless tanker is still in the shop as an out of stock item.

My speculation about it being discontinued is based on 2 of the Crimson MK1 coaches being in the last chance to buy section indicating a rationalisation of the current range ahead of the April announcement although I am surprised if the Blue 08 is actually discontinued given how popular it was. Maybe the Green 08 is it's replacement a case of Hornby giveth and Hornby taketh away!

<meta property="product:availability" content="Discontinued">
    <meta property="product:availability_date" content="2024-08-15T10:39:42+01:00">

from the web link you provided. Seems daft if they have due to its popularity. I was waiting for the restock for mine.

34 minutes ago, Tim Allen said:

<meta property="product:availability" content="Discontinued">
    <meta property="product:availability_date" content="2024-08-15T10:39:42+01:00">

from the web link you provided. Seems daft if they have due to its popularity. I was waiting for the restock for mine.

That metadata would indicate a resupply date of 15 Aug 2024.

Maybe a more appropriate tag would be "Out of Stock"

Good spot by @96RAF - interesting what the metadata can tell us (stock levels etc), for example the green 08 is showing with a stock level of -95, by which I assume they have 95 pre-orders and, with a quick check, seems higher than some of the diesels that have been in the range for over a year. 

8 hours ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

This is true. As Hornby's TT120 catalogue says:

"The range shown will be varied in future years. Enthusiasts are invited to obtain their requirements while they are in current production."

The possibility of some of the products being phased out in April is relatively high. I'm thinking Trigo, Nighthawk, Silver King, and Falcon are the ones to go. They'll obviously keep selling the models they have in the system, but I think new variants of the A3s and A4s are high probability. I think they'll keep The Flying Scotsman and Mallard around for the foreseeable future because they're icons. They could phase out the A1 Flying Scotsman for the A3 version. And they could release Mallard under BR. That would give modelers (like PeachyTT120 😆) who already own the Flying Scotsman and Mallard a reason to purchase new versions. It would also allow them to release a new A1. 

Phasing out the MK 1s seems less likely. Never say never, but those are a critical building blocks for passenger trains in Eras 4 and 5. Interestingly, all the Pullmans (except one last Brake 3rd in stock) have been delisted from the Gaugemaster website (no preorders). New versions of the Pullmans with different names are a high probability 

Yes I can't see new stock of the A3s and A4s arriving, other than the DCC-ready Flying Scotsman which is on pre-order and maybe Mallard. You're right that new Pullman carriages with different names would be a good move. The Trigo bundle seems to have disappeared but the other two are still available under Exclusives and Bundles, albeit Flying Scotsman bundle is on pre-order until new stock arrives,

I do think it’s possible that we’ll see some of the less popular first wave discontinued in favour of new variants. I’m still on the fence with Flying Scotsman and Falcon. I’m hoping for a new catalogue in April and that may well give us an answer as to the longevity of some items. I can see them changing up the initial wagons for new liveries especially as they need to compete with Peco. I also think A3 Flying Scotsman is a definite and is the reason I’ve not yet bought the A1 version (I have Blink Bonny to satisfy that need).

6 hours ago, 96RAF said:

Fingers crossed. I don’t know why they don’t allow you to back / pre order out of stock items. It would give them an idea of how many to order on a run. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 96RAF said:

I hate to say it but looking at all the out of stock items then apparently everything is due back in stock on 15 Aug 2024 with the exception of Plato which arrives a day later for some reason. It's as if they just kick the out of stock items 6 months down the road!

1 hour ago, Rallymatt said:

I have no idea what meta data is or how I find it. Am I missing out or blissfully ignorant? 

It's a bit like magic spells without the eye of newt.

Edited by Louisa-357406
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, PeterM67 said:

I hate to say it but looking at all the out of stock items then apparently everything is due back in stock on 15 Aug 2024 with the exception of Plato which arrives a day later for some reason. It's as if they just kick the out of stock items 6 months down the road!

I think the dates are holding dates rather than set in stone for example of the pre orders for summer I looked at stated 3/6/24 so I wouldn’t put too much on the dates

We'll see what happens next week. Do I get billed for an Exec HST + 8 matching coaches on or around 27th Feb as that's the claimed availability date. It's both useful and scary to know if the CC is about to be hit in a big way 😆

• Like 2