TT:120 HST Swift Is Here

Dodge1965

28 minutes ago, Skelton Junction said:

I’ve a notification from DPD that they’re expecting my parcel from Rails. Hope it’s the HST preorder and not the peco wagons ordered yesterday. 

Expect wagons and you might have a lovely surprise 😁

• Like 1

I see that the Exec Mk3 restaurant buffet is showing as "last few" with 4 remaining in stock on the website. Not surprising that this is the first to go but suggests that more may be buying these specific coaches than are buying the HSTs themselves.

• Like 2

Got my HST and 4 Mk3’s today and 1 decoder (explanation below) - I know others have already said, but these models are fantastic, really impressed with the detail.

anyway, quick check on DC to check runs freely then opened up to fit HM7k decoder, lifted cover to check motor wires on flywheel (thanks Richard) and fitted single decoder and speaker, routing wires to avoid screw (thanks Peachy). Paired up, updated and all good to go so been running in this evening.

so I have it running with one decoder, blanking plate left in dummy and still get lights on Dummy though will are not directional i.e. they will stay on same colour irrespective of whether your going forwards or backwards, suits my needs at the moment as majority of time being pulled and happy as sound from front is more than ample and saves expense of 2nd decoder, but will see how we go - I may well add later and definitely be adding a stay alive and coach lights 😉

IMG_2296.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peachy said:

Hello Simon, do the lights switch from red to white in the dummy if you physically lift it up and turn it around 180? 

Yes they do, and as there is constant power to the rails the dummy lights are always on moving or stationary 

• Like 1

The level of detail in these TT models is quite impressive from what I've seen from photos / videos!

Ignoring stay alive benefits from the power pack, how does performance of a TT HST compare against a OO HST in terms of track pickup, i.e. resistance to stalling on dirty track / points etc?

Looks like the power car is running slightly higher than the coach in the above picture? (probably more noticable because of the livery stripes). Also seen a couple of vids where one power car looks to be slightly higher on the bogies.

1 hour ago, mr2002 said:

Looks like the power car is running slightly higher than the coach in the above picture? (probably more noticable because of the livery stripes). Also seen a couple of vids where one power car looks to be slightly higher on the bogies.

That's true, my HST has the same problem. I had yet no chance to check in detail why is it happening, but it is triggering my perfectionism!

Thank you to all that contributed on this thread to the setting up of my HST. Decoders and speakers installed without issue, profiles installed and I’m happy to report that the red coach lines from power cars to coaches match up perfectly. 
Now just waiting on the ability to consist at the next app update. 
oh, and by the way, it’s a toptastic model 

2 minutes ago, Skelton Junction said:

Thank you to all that contributed on this thread to the setting up of my HST. Decoders and speakers installed without issue, profiles installed and I’m happy to report that the red coach lines from power cars to coaches match up perfectly. 
Now just waiting on the ability to consist at the next app update. 
oh, and by the way, it’s a toptastic model 

When i contacted George the other week and we spoke about Consist, he said Q2. So a good few months away.

BTW my lines match up as well.. Odd that some don't..

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Dodge1965 said:

When i contacted George the other week and we spoke about Consist, he said Q2. So a good few months away.

BTW my lines match up as well.. Odd that some don't..

Will check mine again later - could be track imperfections causing difference in height as my photo above is where baseboards join where the power unit is on one side and the first coach is on the other 

11 minutes ago, Les-345151 said:

Do I see a corresponding wiggle in the adjacent track?

Actually you do! Picture makes it look much worse than it actually is - on the joins there is a slight dip hence the height difference. Should have taken picture on better section of layout 🙄, another job to the list, straighten the joins( on the plus side I get no derails on any of my Loco’s or rolling stock) so not all bad. 

• Like 1

Great to see the work progressing, and thanks for taking the time to explain the wiring system. Always interesting to see how folk manage their control. 

• Like 2

Not loving the couplings on this nor on the coaches. I’m finding that they won’t couple easily and separation is nigh impossible as the hooks become entangled. I’ve had to remove them from the pocket in order to separate them. I’ve read on another thread that there are alternatives (I think it was one of @Rallymatt’s posts) Tillig I believe. So would these be suitable - TILLIG 8840 TT COUPLING FOR NEM COUPLING POCKET? It’s driving me to distraction! 😕

32 minutes ago, Andrew-372848 said:

Not loving the couplings on this nor on the coaches. I’m finding that they won’t couple easily and separation is nigh impossible as the hooks become entangled. I’ve had to remove them from the pocket in order to separate them. I’ve read on another thread that there are alternatives (I think it was one of @Rallymatt’s posts) Tillig I believe. So would these be suitable - TILLIG 8840 TT COUPLING FOR NEM COUPLING POCKET? It’s driving me to distraction! 😕

Odd.. Not having any issues with the couplers at all. Yes they are what they are, but they are the same on all TT120 products. But i have no history with couplers, maybe that helps me... not sure, i use a 3d printed decoupler or Starbucks stirrer.

4 minutes ago, Dodge1965 said:

Odd.. Not having any issues with the couplers at all. Yes they are what they are, but they are the same on all TT120 products. But i have no history with couplers, maybe that helps me... not sure, i use a 3d printed decoupler or Starbucks stirrer.

Interestingly I don’t have a problem with my other rolling stock (Pullman coaches and various goods wagons), just this set. I note there are also magnetic couplings on the market, does anyone have experience of those?

• Like 1

I received 6 HST coaches today and not one would couple up like the Mk1's or Pullmans.

Trying to couple normally they would randomly uncouple, an issue which I never had with any others.

To cure this I had to physically hand push each pair together quite hard and since I have had no problem being able to leave the set running like I can with all the others.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

I received 6 HST coaches today and not one would couple up like the Mk1's or Pullmans.

Trying to couple normally they would randomly uncouple, an issue which I never had with any others.

To cure this I had to physically hand push each pair together quite hard and since I have had no problem being able to leave the set running like I can with all the others.

I need to try mine more then. Do yours look different to the other coaches? Mine look the exact same. But i've not run mine much as track still in bits.

12 minutes ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

I had to physically hand push each pair together quite hard and since I have had no problem being able to leave the set running like I can with all the others.

Same here, but I can’t leave them on the layout and hence the difficulty uncoupling.

6 minutes ago, Dodge1965 said:

I need to try mine more then. Do yours look different to the other coaches? Mine look the exact same. But i've not run mine much as track still in bits.

From being on the track they did seem to be random heights, not much in it but not like all the others. The main difference is they dont seem to centralise as they should and seem more softer in the lateral swing.

Certainly different to everything else I have, which is a lot.

• Like 1