Class 50 locomotives

Mulsanne88

Greg, a few people reported slow running, Try and CV8 reset, that should line everything up and remember to refresh CV list and power cycle. The other thing that is well worth doing is a motor calibration after running in. Details are on the HM DCC pages, very easy and all locos benefit from the fine tuning of the control system to the specific motor. Make sure you have a good length of track available as loco will fire off at full chat when the process is initiated. 

2 hours ago, david_watts1 said:

You need to open the video in Chrome or other browswer, not Microsoft Edge, it's a codec issue.

Nope, not working for me in (up to date) Chrome on Windows 10. Video codec I presume as I get audio.

6 hours ago, david_watts1 said:

You need to open the video in Chrome or other browswer, not Microsoft Edge, it's a codec issue.

Worked for me in Edge.

Many thanks for that RM - I will try it and hopefully it will resolve the issue. It almost feels as if the shunting mode is turned on right now. 

Posted (edited)

Rails of Sheffield have informed my that my Class 50 is being post out to me.  Looking forward to its arrival.

I will have to run it in, on the track loop that comes with the Easterner set.  The layout build wasgoing to be in the garage but we are having it converted, so the layout build is on hold for a few months.

Edited by Stephen-1260829
added section on the layout build
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim Allen said:

Sam’s Train gives a nice detailed review of the class 50.

Not a fan but yeah I watched most of it as it came up following something else.     I can't agree with his daft thoughts over the price "it's smaller it should be cheaper!". It's a well engineered and hefty mechanism on new tooling.  Just try buying a Marklin Z loco and see how much it costs ya!
Strange his sample was obviously jerky at slow speed even after running in. 

• Like 2

On 02/06/2024 at 09:38, 96RAF said:

Set CV148 to value 0 in the app.

I rather suspect I am blundering here, but for some reason there is no CV148 showing for me. When I refresh the CVs it goes right from 147-149. What have I missed?

It’s daft things like saying a small scale loco should be cheaper is where people lose credibility. The Märklin Z range is a great example. Even T gauge that is good but not finely detailed at all is not cheap

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ntpntpntp said:

Not a fan but yeah I watched most of it as it came up following something else.     I can't agree with his daft thoughts over the price "it's smaller it should be cheaper!". It's a well engineered and hefty mechanism on new tooling.  Just try buying a Marklin Z loco and see how much it costs ya!
Strange his sample was obviously jerky at slow speed even after running in. 

Yes. I didn’t agree with the price criticism and jerky. 

7 minutes ago, GMD said:

I rather suspect I am blundering here, but for some reason there is no CV148 showing for me. When I refresh the CVs it goes right from 147-149. What have I missed?

CV149 not 148

make sure all sound lighting etc off, setting 149 to 0 will arm auto calibration, power cycle 

V mid is set low to replicate the speed curve of the real loco. A rough approximation is that at half throttle the loco is at 25% of its potential maximum speed. Acceleration isn’t linear. You can play about with all these settings to suit the running characteristics or how you find it easier to control. 

• Like 1

It's quite often recommended NOT to fiddle with the speed CVs or the speed table with DCC sound fitted loco, as you could upset how the sound correlates to the speed: ie. steam chuff rate, diesel throttle notches etc. 

24 minutes ago, Irishmail said:

Is he going to 'hoover' his  carpet? 🤣🤣🤣

I’ve noticed another inflammatory YouTuber has cleaned his act up, looks like all the TT hate videos have gone.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tim Allen said:

I’ve noticed another inflammatory YouTuber has cleaned his act up, looks like all the TT hate videos have gone.  

Was there a class 50 named Revenge?  the level of anti-hate/anti-rivet counting responses on YouTube may have been a cause for reflection by some.

1 minute ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

Was there a class 50 named Revenge?  the level of anti-hate/anti-rivet counting responses on YouTube may have been a cause for reflection by some.

From reading the comments to his Sam’s Trains copyright infringement I think the penny dropped as almost every comment was against him from folk being pro Sam and/or pro TT. 

1 minute ago, Tim Allen said:

From reading the comments to his Sam’s Trains copyright infringement I think the penny dropped as almost every comment was against him from folk being pro Sam and/or pro TT. 

I've not watched ny of his videos since his TT120 rant.  I am not aware of the issues around the copyright infringement.  i will have to have a look.

Did you get anything back from Hornby about your class 50 issues yet?

16 minutes ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

Yes, 50020. First one Lima released in the early 1980's along with 50043.

2 minutes ago, Irishmail said:

Yes, 50020. First one Lima released in the early 1980's along with 50043.

I might have to look for a good re-numbering service for my Leviathan.  Hood or Ark Royal perhaps.

I don't plan on getting as many class 50s as you though @Irishmail 🙂 

21 minutes ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

I've not watched ny of his videos since his TT120 rant.  I am not aware of the issues around the copyright infringement.  i will have to have a look.

Did you get anything back from Hornby about your class 50 issues yet?

I’ve had a package delivered but I’m currently waiting for a flight home so it’ll be Saturday morning before I can be sure. 

Just now, Tim Allen said:

I’ve had a package delivered but I’m currently waiting for a flight home so it’ll be Saturday morning before I can be sure. 

I am sure that everything will get resolved satifactorily.  Looking forward to you posting a  video of it on the rails.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2024 at 19:37, Stephen-1260829 said:

Ahh but will it be a green class 37??

The latest catalogue gives the Class 37s as:

BR, Class 37, Co-Co - Era 6

EWS, Class 37, Co-Co - Era 9

So presumably not green...?

I think it is odd that they've gone for Era 6 when the Class 08, HST and Class 50 are all Era 7, but I guess an Era 6 Class 37 should just be a quick renumbering job to upgrade it to Era 7.

At least the Class 31s is given as Era 7 (as well Era 6 and Era 9 EWS).