TT:120 Track Plan Book

Rallymatt

I seek help from the people who like to plan new layouts. I have a 6 by 4 foot baseboard and have been collecting the track to build the shown layout. The problem now is that the new LMS coaches don't seem to like 2nd radius curves. Is it possible to redesign the layout using 3rd, 4th and some 6th radius curves. I will be getting the J50's and a green 08 so 2nd radius will be OK for them to run on. Thanks in advance for any help.

Layout.png

Hi @david_watts1, I’m sure we can help. The image you are showing there is an early version of what I ended up with. That layout is 6’x3’ so you have more space, which is a good thing. Almost anything will run ok on 3,4 & 6 radius. Do you want suggestions for your space? There are some wonderful planners on here. R-

Posted (edited)

Any suggestions will be greatfully recieved, I've tried a few free track planners, but always seem to make a mess of it. RB51 if you are the original planner of this, then fine work, sir. It looks to have plenty of playability. PS. I do have the points and crossovers for this, and will be sticking to set track at the moment.

Edited by david_watts1
Addition of detail.
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, david_watts1 said:

Any suggestions will be greatfully recieved, I've tried a few free track planners, but always seem to make a mess of it. RB51 if you are the original planner of this, then fine work, sir. It looks to have plenty of playability. PS. I do have the points and crossovers for this, and will be sticking to set track at the moment.

I would think about keeping the rad 3 and 4 for both ends and moving sidings to the centre, using crossovers to get to the outer tracks.

Trouble is an "R6" (wish they called it a point curve or something as its not an R6 !) won't fit on a 4ft wide board. Best bet would be to use flex to make a "real" R5.

But as you prefer to stick to set track, I'll have a play in SCARM and see what I can come up with.

Posted (edited)

With some trimming of a couple of 83 and 92mm short straights, you can stick pretty close to your original plan without using anything less than R3 on the whole layout:

DWtp.thumb.jpg.55488792537aa0cba2a3c20f1ec4e5a9.jpg

I can upload and link to a larger version if its any use. and if you want a list of track parts I can upload that too 🙂

Edited by Too Tall
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am currently accumulating the parts needed for a small (115cm x 85cm) display layout to take to events and shows etc to show off the compact nature of TT:120. It is a rather simplistic layout but will allow for the operation of two DCC/sound equipped engines at the same time which will help catch people's attention. The scenery is going to have to do a LOT of heavy lifting on this one.

Curves are 2nd and 3rd Radius to allow for the use of an increased percentage of the range and will include a goods shed, station, footbridge, signal box and other misc structures but some of the finer detail parts, such as a loading gauge for the goods shed head shunt seem to not exist anywhere in this scale. I also wanted to include a two track engine shed and associated facilities but the space just did not exist for it.

The size of the layout is limited by the size of the cargo area in the vehicle that we plan to use to transport the layout so sadly the dimensions cannot be pushed out much larger. It might be able to go to 115cm x 90cm but that would be pushing it.

115cmx85cm plan 1.png

@Trevor-1284476 - I have added your planned layout to the TT-120 trackplans album in the Hornby gallery.

Others may wish to add their previously posted layout diagrams and any new items there as well for the benefit of everyone planning a TT-120 layout.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dBerriff said:

There's a Hornby Gallery? Oh, right there in the tabbed sections near the top of the page. 😳

Or you can add to or create an album using the +Create drop down at top right.

20 hours ago, 96RAF said:

@Trevor-1284476 - I have added your planned layout to the TT-120 trackplans album in the Hornby gallery.

Others may wish to add their previously posted layout diagrams and any new items there as well for the benefit of everyone planning a TT-120 layout.

Oh, cool. Thanks. I have also got a another simplified trackplan that I am going to be working on as well (likely first) but have 2 minor variations on it.

115cmx85cm Basic design trackplan.png

115cmx85cm Basic design with extra siding.png

115cmx85cm Basic design with twin track engine shed siding.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the layout I am designing.  The baseboard will be approx 1.5m x 1.2m / 5ft x 4ft - it will be in middle of room so accessible from all sides.

One of the primary design criteria was all curves to be R2+ (the 3 outer loops are approx R5, 6, 7)

The Grey track indicates stage 1 (already purchased & under construction.)  The White track is stage two (intended future development - incorporated into design to ensure baseboard is of adequate size.)

**I’ve had serious doubts about posting this as:
• 
there isn’t any current intention for scenery - I just like running trains.
• for that reason I purposely want to fill the layout with track!

However I’ve finally decided to post in case it helps/encourages any other ‘not-quite-modeller’ to enjoy the scale too!

TT120 layout.png

• Like 3

Completely with you on the scenery front. My layout has to be portable due to space restrictions which means any scenery, lights or terrain has to be minimal in height.

Quick question - do you intend to reverse traffic when changing loops?

R-

Yes that is the intention - although I could add opposing facing points between the outer loops on the other side - if I find it too restrictive by the time stage 2 is complete.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would have agreed on scenery in the past, because I either wasn’t allowed or not sure I could. Now I am a scenery convert although, that’s a brilliant layout and something completely different and for that, its great 😁

PS, I bet I could fit some scenery in 🤣

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So my planned model railway has suffered from 'feature creep' as the space allotted to it has increased. Initially it was to be a simple loop with sidings, station, headshunt and goods shed but, due to remembering that I had an old model railway table/baseboard in my garage that I had been given to strip down and re-use years ago, the space available has jumped from 120cm x 87cm all the way up to 181.5cm x 121cm (although i plan to cut that back to 181.5 x 95 to make it more portable/useable. Now all i need to do is manage to source all the parts needed to make this work due to low stock here in Australia. I likely will end up using Peco flexi track for the longer sidings and Hornby track for the rest.

The idea behind this layout is that of a UK based heritage railway who, like many others, took over an old, disused branchline after the Beeching cuts and slowly built it up again to include all the engine facilities and sidings that they needed for operations as well as re-furbishing the one main station remaining on the line at the time of purchase.

It will include such things as a 2-track engine shed, coal and watering facilities, carriage sidings, two stations (one twin platform with footbridge, one a single track station (added by the volunteers near their yard during reconstruction), a goods shed, signal box, water tank, road bridge and tunnel.  Motive power will, inevitably, be an ex-LNER/ex-BR A3 and A4 Pacifics until something more suitable for this layout comes along. Structures will likely be a mix of Hornby, Metcalfe N-scale structures (since they are rather overscale for 1:148 and seem fairly close to 1:120) and print-yourself card kits from Scalescenes as well as scratch built or kitbashed detail parts such as water colums etc

This layout is designed to be DCC/Sound equipped via HM7000 from the outset and will also feature things like working lighting on the structures where possible. HeritageRailwaylayout-HornbyForums.png.e1f2c892a85f76ab72fd698c4cf46794.png

• Like 5