Hornby R3897 OO Scale BR Ruston & Hornsby 88Ds 0-4-0 No. 20 - Era 7 Decoder

@Brew Man The loco doesn’t contain lights, so should only have motor & pick-up wires attached to the socket (however if 5th & 6th pins on socket did have pointless/unused trailing wires attached - they could be removed from loco with socket!)

Once 6pin socket is removed & replaced with a 4pin there would be no extra wires.

53 minutes ago, LTSR_NSE said:

@Brew Man The loco doesn’t contain lights, so should only have motor & pick-up wires attached to the socket (however if 5th & 6th pins on socket did have pointless/unused trailing wires attached - they could be removed from loco with socket!)

Once 6pin socket is removed & replaced with a 4pin there would be no extra wires.

I've never seen the inside of this loco, but surely if it contains a 6 pin socket there will 6 wires leading to it. Is this not correct? If I am correct then, after snipping the socket away from the 6 wires, 2 wires can be moved out of the way, (or removed/unsoldered from their origin, either way they will need to be dealt with) leaving the 4 wires of interest to be connected to a 4 pin socket. Is this not so?

Edited by Brew Man

I believe Hornby are using 6pin sockets over 4pin (where space allows) in order to support their newer (HM7k) decoders.

Just because a socket allows for up to 6 connected wires, I wouldn’t assume unnecessary ones to be included, as it would involve wasted material & labour cost.

11 minutes ago, LTSR_NSE said:

I believe Hornby are using 6pin sockets over 4pin (where space allows) in order to support their newer (HM7k) decoders.

Just because a socket allows for up to 6 connected wires, I wouldn’t assume unnecessary ones to be included, as it would involve wasted material & labour cost.

Yes you are quite right. As I said, I have never seen inside this loco, but if there are 6 wires then it is as I said. Blimey this is hard work.

Doesn’t the 6-pin socket have only 4 wires attached, as per Ian’s description on page 1 (he describes them as motor wires).

Edit: Oops, thought I was replying at the bottom of page 1, I missed the intervening posts on page 2 above.

Makes you wonder why they used a 6-pin in the first place.

Edited by Fishmanoz

Well according to LTSR_NSE it is likely to make them compatible with 6 pin HM7k decoders, which is quite believable.

GS responded as I was typing.

Edited by Brew Man

5 hours ago, Brew Man said:

@LTSR_NSE and @Fishmanoz I'm talking about the 5th and 6th wires on the 6 pin socket in the loco. They need to be just got out of the way.

Just cap and stow wires 5 and 6 if present at the 6-pin socket.

IMG_2122.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Brew Man said:

Thanks, Rob, I'm sure that will be helpful to Ian should he wish to do the job himself.

Note that comparing 4 and 6 pin decoders it is not just a case of clipping 2 elements off the socket as the colours and pin-socket don't align. It will be a rewire job.

IMG_2123.jpeg

Might I refer everyone back to Ian’s on page 1 where he reports 4 only wires to the 6-pin socket (not incl white and yellow), then I refer him to Brian Lambert for the 4-pin socket arrangement for his re-wiring job?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Brew Man said:

I've never seen the inside of this loco, but surely if it contains a 6 pin socket there will 6 wires leading to it. Is this not correct? If I am correct then, after snipping the socket away from the 6 wires, 2 wires can be moved out of the way, (or removed/unsoldered from their origin, either way they will need to be dealt with) leaving the 4 wires of interest to be connected to a 4 pin socket. Is this not so?

That was my dillema at the beginning of this thread  - "I now have my Ruston & Hornsby 88Ds and the recommended decoder which is R7150 and there is my problem. They are both 6 pin and while 1. is clearly marked on the decoder, there is nothing on the loco or blank, ( have studied them under a microscope and there is nothing there).      The six pins on the decoder are  1. Brown 2. Grey 3. Red 4. Black 5.White 6. Yellow    on the motor it is  1. Grey 2. Brown 3. Black 4. Red with 5. and 6. no wires attached." - this was adequately explained by several members and I was successful in fixing the problem. 

ps I had the colours wrong which were also corrected

Edited by Aussie Fred
  • Like 1

On 30/06/2024 at 02:28, Aussie Fred said:

That was my dillema at the beginning of this thread  - "I now have my Ruston & Hornsby 88Ds and the recommended decoder which is R7150 and there is my problem. They are both 6 pin and while 1. is clearly marked on the decoder, there is nothing on the loco or blank, ( have studied them under a microscope and there is nothing there).      The six pins on the decoder are  1. Brown 2. Grey 3. Red 4. Black 5.White 6. Yellow    on the motor it is  1. Grey 2. Brown 3. Black 4. Red with 5. and 6. no wires attached." - this was adequately explained by several members and I was successful in fixing the problem. 

ps I had the colours wrong which were also corrected

Are you absolutely sure it is brown, it should be orange. As to the decoder I would stick with 6 pin it gives you more choice of make. If you were in the UK there are many that are smaller than the Hornby offering. Funny I rewired all my Hornby 4 pin decoders to 6 pin. I suspect on this you are going to need "stay alive".

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2024 at 16:37, 96RAF said:

Just cap and stow wires 5 and 6 if present at the 6-pin socket.

IMG_2122.jpeg

Hi there,

I'm glad you sent this cause the 6 pin decoders have got the Orange and Grey wires mixed up. So I ended up hardwiring the decoder to the motor itself and worked. I've also got a City of Sheffield train with decoder and sound included but it won't work cause I bought it through Ebay I guess this was produced by the guy i bought it from. So I was wondering how do I get to reset the decoder. 

Are you telling us the decoder has the grey wire going to pin 1 on its plug and the orange to pin 2?  What brand decoder?

To reset a decoder, write 8 to CV8 on the programming track.

Yeah I bought 2 6 pin decoders made by Hornby and the Grey wire was in PIN 1 and Orange Wire in PIN 2. When you say CV8 what do you do. Are the wires in attached to the Programme Terminals on the DCC Controller and train placed on track and Controller set to No.8 under the Address area.

What are the step by step instructions to Modify the CV Values cause the Program side I can't weight up whether it works or not has there is no power in the line when connected to the Program leads area of the DCC Controller as when the leads are placed in the Track side connects the line is live. So can you not modify the CV Values on the live track.

On the Elite you have two sets of connections at the back, not counting the auxiliary outputs. One is for the main, (running) track, the other is for the programming track. They are both live except the the programming output can only source a small current, not enough the drive a loco. It is the programming track outputs, connected to a separate piece of track that you use to set/alter CVs. What revision of the firmware do you have? the latest is ver. 1.45. If yours is earlier than that you should update it. The 1.45 manual, if you don't already have it is available here to download, and it tells everything about reading/writing CVs.

Edited by Brew Man

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2024 at 23:51, Ian-1301567 said:

Hi there,

I'm glad you sent this cause the 6 pin decoders have got the Orange and Grey wires mixed up. So I ended up hardwiring the decoder to the motor itself and worked. I've also got a City of Sheffield train with decoder and sound included but it won't work cause I bought it through Ebay I guess this was produced by the guy i bought it from. So I was wondering how do I get to reset the decoder. 

Are Pins 5 & 6 for Lighting Purposes. What do you do use the LED Strip Lighting with Capacitor and Rectifier Unit. And do you just connect the 2 wires that come off the lighting unit to the Yellow and White wires.