What’s Next?

12 hours ago, Froobyone said:

I'd really like to see a three-car Class 101 DMU at some point in the future.

Perhaps in Blue/Grey, Green and Provincial.

It would open up a lot of options away from the mainlines.

Best

Dan

I also liked them in Network SouthEast livery and Strathclyde PTE (orange/black) as well

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’d like to see a smaller LMS released (biased here!), fingers crossed for 31, 37 & 47s. 
Some non Pullman LNER coaches would be nice.

Edited by Tim Allen

Most important of all... BR Blue Class 47! 😁

I could also take a DMU too. I agree with the calls for a BR Class 101/102/111. They were long serving (1956-2003!), appeared in many liveries, had hundreds of prototypes, and worked in nearly every part of the country. Add to that a large number in preservation, and it seems like a natural option. Of course, the Class 108 has many similar advantages. Honestly, if they announced either of those models I would be thrilled. 

And my campaign for Eurostar remains as fervent as ever!

Moving forward, I'm hoping we see them get the Castle Class, Pannier, and GWR coaches released ASAP. Hornby already has the wagon toolings ready for GWR rolling stock. This might be controversial opinion, but honestly I wouldn't create SR products yet. Not because I have a hatred for SR, but because I think it's in Hornby interest to expand the LNER, LMS, and GWR product ranges. Preferably, Hornby should have a small loco, a medium-sized loco, and a pacific for each one of the big four. LNER will be 2/3s of the way there with the J50. Adding the 3rd medium-sized loco should be the next priority. GWR is also on track to be 2/3s of the way there with the Pannier and Castle. 

Once Hornby has firmly established support for GWR, LNER, and LMS they can begin to the process of adding the SR locomotives. 

Honestly, the obvious next choice is the LMS Black 5. While there has been groaning about the manufacturing quality of the new OO model and its headlamps, most people concede that the model beautifully captures the original. While the designer is still on the team and fresh, why not have them work on the TT version? If I could approve any steam locomotive, I think a the Black 5 fits the bill. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Black 5 has my vote! Jubilee class also. Once more LMS locos are released the Flying Scotsman and Mallard will be display only or just visiting. 

Edited by Tim Allen
  • Like 1

Having just got my Trigo back from repair, my  Blink Bonny also having been repaired and noting the comments on Stanier coaches, what next for me would be better quality control.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tim Allen said:

We should do a TT:120 bingo 😁 see who make the most correct predictions

I couldn’t possibly participate in any such thing! 🤥

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Martin-369195 said:

@Peachy  - If I take either Wed 3 July or Thu 4 July off as annual leave and travel the three miles to Malc's Models, which would you recommend?

Martin

If you’re interested in new TT120 product releases (btw, not Locomotives) from three separate companies… then Thursday the 4th, definitely 👍 

• Like 1

My guesses for the 4th...

1) Malc's Models announces exclusive 7-Plank Wagons for TT:120 in partnership with Peco. These will feature new liveries not seen before. It will allow Era 3-5 modelers more choice and variety in making long trains. It should be a welcome addition! 

2) Peco announces new TT:120 models. When Peco created their 2022 7-Plank Wagons in N Gauge, they designed the tooling to be usable for multiple wagons. So far, the tooling has led to 7-Plank wagons, 5-Plank wagons, and 16-Ton Mineral wagons. I would not be surprised at all to see 16-Ton minerals added now that we have our first BR Blue locomotives. These would compliment 21-Ton Minerals, the Class 08, and the Class 50. Alternatively, it could be a 5-Plank wagon. TBD. I could also see the announcement of more TT accessories. 

3) West Hill Wagon Works announces all sorts of stuff we've never even thought of! 

I'll see how close I am! 😂

• Like 1

I would be hugely interested if Peco announced 5-plank wagons, and BR 16-ton mineral wagons to add to my meagre British Railways era 4/5/6 wagon stock.

Also West Hill Wagon Works first rolling stock kit 

After inspecting Peco's N Gauge and OO Gauge wagon product lineup, I'm pretty excited. It appears the same basic chassis can be used on the 5 plank wagon, the 7 plank wagon, the 16 Ton Mineral Wagons, BR Clam, the BR VEA vans, and the BR Vanfit. By making their first TT:120 wagon the 7 Plank wagon, Peco has set themselves up for an expanding range of rolling stock across many eras. This is great!

This is also why Hornby originally went for the 7 Plank wagons back in 2022. Not only were they ubiquitous wagons, they can be used as the basis for many other wagon types. This explains why Hornby had the BR VEA vans in the original range release. I was puzzled by their inclusion (they were niche MoD wagons), but as part of a larger tooling project it makes sense. See Hornby's OO 7 Plank wagon and Hornby's OO VEA wagon. Notice how the chassis is the same:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/5004/hornby_oo_vea_vanwide_van?instock=true&onorder=true&soldout=true

https://www.hattons.co.uk/198643/hornby_7_plank_open_wagon_hawkin_s_bazaar_special_v2/stockdetail

We also now have a pretty good idea of why the VEAs were cancelled by Hornby... Martyn said that only a single wagon in the entire original TT launch has been cancelled. After comparing the 2023 and 2024 catalogues, the one wagon missing were the VEAs. They appear to be the one product Hornby cancelled. Why? Originally, I thought it was because they were a niche product. But now that we know that Peco can also pretty easily release a VEA of their own, I'm beginning to suspect that Hornby has decided to cede the product to Peco and avoid duplication. Why should Hornby continue to invest in a tooling suite when another firm can do it for them? Hornby has other TT:120 fish to fry. Plus, Hornby probably isn't looking to scare away other companies from adding wagons. 

I think the roadmap for Peco is pretty clear. Peco recently relaunched their N Gauge 5/7 Plank wagons in 2022. Their old N Gauge tooling was a whole 51 years old! So, the new N Gauge 5/7 Plank wagons were a welcome update. They followed up those releases a few months ago with the 16 Ton Minerals and the BR Vanfits. That means they already have CAD files ready to go and the designers who worked on them capable of adjusting them to TT. In a choice between the 16 Ton Minerals and the BR Vanfits, I think they'll go 16 Ton Minerals. But either one would be welcomed by TT modelers (They could also do both! 😉🤣). 

I'm pretty excited about this. While it's probably premature to assume they absolutely adding a new wagon type, the fact they chose a wagon that can support many variants really is worthy of excitement. It suggests that the 7 Plank Wagons represent a longterm interest in the scale. 

We shall see on the 4th! 

On 08/06/2024 at 03:38, Generic Hornby Username said:

I think the roadmap for Peco is pretty clear. In a choice between the 16 Ton Minerals and the BR Vanfits, I think they'll go 16 Ton Minerals. But either one would be welcomed by TT modelers (They could also do both! 😉🤣).

My money is on the 16T mineral as well. It’s a really obvious choice. And the chassis is right for it. 

• Like 2

Yes we need the 16 tonners,  I think there would be a market for both Hornby and Peco for these wagons considering the various designs and modifications over the years.  Also they cover a very large time span lasting well into the 1980's.