what has happened to all the oo gauge problems.

Has anybody else noticed that since new forum launch, it is dificult to find many 00  gauge posters. We appear to have been overtaken by TT20.  It is not a complaint, simply a surprise to me, that given the tiny fraction of product they have, in relation to us oo guys, they can find so much to go on about.

Hi Yelrow. OO gauge modellers do still exist. We do get sidelined by the algorithm now it would seem. I often find lots of TT120 posts as well. I am an established OO modeller with a basic knowledge of electrics and a few years of experience. I rekon i got my first train set aged about 10, and now I am in my early 30s. my scale can't change now. But I do my best to help others and also I do really appreciate the help I receive. The forum does appear to have slowed though with the passing of some of the prolific posters of the old gaurd. Chrissaf and Graskie in particular are sorely missed. I think the reason behind the TT120 guys talking so much is teething troubles with their new system whereas we have established trackwork, sources of loco spares and in general lots of choice in our hobby. XYZ

I think @ModelerXYZ makes a fair point: TT:120 is attracting a high proportion of  new forum members and new modellers, and probably more than it's fair share of posts regarding new layouts and also the odd problem here and there.  

3 minutes ago, ModelerXYZ said:

and now I am in my early 30s. my scale can't change now.

Who says it has to change?   I have models in most of the major scales T,Z,N,TT,HO,OO,O,G plus narrow gauge in 009/HOe  🙂  Sometimes it's refreshing to change and work on something different for a while 🙂

There’ve been several highly anticipated models arriving over the past few weeks which have essentially doubled the number of locomotive toolings available.

You could turn the statement around and say it’s odd that despite the size of the OO range, it’s surprising that things are so quiet!

@ModelerXYZ I’m not sure there’re algorithms here in the same way as there are on Facebook or YouTube. If you go to the threads about the new forum format, there’re instructions on how to remove any TT120 posts from what you see. 

That’s kinda my point. The previous forums didn’t, which suggests we are losing/ have lost. Many of the old Brigade. Again, no criticism, as I do understand,  some one believes we should be dragooned into unnecessary change, and in so doing will increase our budgets. Sorry, Hornby, it has had the opposite effect for me. Just  sadly saying.

Given that the new forum has excluded a whole demographic (under 18s) from posting,  probably has also had an impact. Especially since the OO sets are (mostly) aimed towards them.

I didn’t post much for a while as I found the new forum very difficult to navigate. Thankfully it’s much easier now with better functionality plus I’ve gotten used to it. Maybe summer isn’t the best time to post things as a lot of us are doing other things outside?  Personally I find working on a model in the daylight outside with a large brew very relaxing as long as I don’t drop the bits. I can also solder things up without danger of burning a hole in the carpet (been there-done that), and use ‘proper’ solder without breathing in lead fumes in a confined space. 

TT does seem to have been a success, and has attracted new modellers as well as existing ones. Maybe us experienced OO (and OO9, HOe) modellers are not having any problems to post? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yelrow said:

That’s kinda my point. The previous forums didn’t, which suggests we are losing/ have lost. Many of the old Brigade. Again, no criticism, as I do understand,  some one believes we should be dragooned into unnecessary change, and in so doing will increase our budgets. Sorry, Hornby, it has had the opposite effect for me. Just  sadly saying.

It might be me but I don’t understand that statement,  can you explain please. I don’t see anything that Hornby has done to ‘dragoon’ anyone into increasing budgets. I set my model railway budget not Hornby. If I can’t afford it, I don’t buy it, or I make other changes to my lifestyle to enable that purchase. 

I think John has a point (I don't necessarily agree though).

Firstly the forum changes, for years there has been criticism on here regarding functionality of the old forum. Hornby have reacted to that criticism by migrating to the new forum which they freely admit via the mods, is a work in progress. 

We now have quick posting of photos and a direct messaging system - both of which were the subject of major complaint before. The underlying structure of the forum is the same as the old one, all be it with a different navigation process. It's just a different way of doing the same job.

In many respects it's no different to joining a new forum and having to work out how the system operates.

Now, being 'dragooned' into increased costs. Let's first of all remember that the world has experienced significant inflation as a result of a number of factors - pandemic, incompetence of politicians and some unpleasantness in Ukraine and the Middle East.

Into that financial climate, Hornby have launched two new products - HM7K and TT120 - both projects would have been started long before the world changed. I very much suspect that the prices originally estimated for these were lower than those the current economic climate has forced upon them. Can't blame Hornby for that.

Where, perhaps, we are having to pay more is for new innovation. HM7K decoders for example, are more than the old TTS versions - but offer greater versatility and usability. Against that the sound files are free and for many, no additional costs are required for a control system. Swings and roundabouts.

Other innovations are the steam and sound locos (although still cheaper if you got the preorder prices 😉) and the high fidelity models with lights etc. We can't blame Hornby for answering the calls for detail from modellers that have been made for decades.

I do agree that much of the forum comments appear to have been swamped by TT120 - maybe because, as Hornby hoped, the new scale has attracted many new modellers, who perhaps don't have the depth of knowledge acquired by the more crusty modellers amongst us? That's bound to generate questions on here. 

No different to when HM7K was launched, the forum was filled with questions for months almost to the exclusion of everything else. As that system has matured and the users have gained more knowledge, those questions have tailed off. TT120 will settle down but in the meantime I am happy that I have found tools within the new forum whereby I can exclude those questions from my view.

As with all things, the hobby will settle as time progresses. We just need to give it time.

• Like 4

The new forum is not an issue, I might complain that it is lacking in certain areas but it works. I definitely cannot see it putting people off. Possibly people are not getting the answers that they are searching for, is probably a bigger issue.

I’m going to say this, why will TT:120 settle down? It’s an active part of the hobby with people getting involved and doing railway modelling things. Look at the number of new layouts being built and the interaction between modellers. If OO is stagnating that’s nothing to do with TT:120 but OO modellers not being active and creative on the forum. Only OO modellers can influence the OO scene. We all share the same hobby and here is a secret, TT:120 modellers like seeing OO layouts and models…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe ‘settle down’ was a reference to the posts seeking advice/help with ‘teething troubles’ with new TT:120 releases. (This followed a similar comment about HM7k.)

Obviously modelling/layout update posts will continue for as long as those modellers are interested & wish to produce them!

Posted (edited)

I will rephrase 'settle down'. I fully expect TT120 to find it's natural level of activity and adoptees just as all other scales have done in years gone by.

Manufacturers will undoubtedly try to increase its footprint by introducing new models and probably new innovations (smaller decoders and Powerbanks) as the scale matures.

LTSR_NSE hits it on the head. New modellers attracted by the new scale will ask fewer questions as they gain knowledge and experience.

Edited by SteveM6

One fairly significant thing that has yet to be mentioned…

The new forum has a search facility that actually works!

This will have dramatically reduced the number of posts asking questions that had already been answered (multiple times) - but were almost inaccessible.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

... that’s nothing to do with TT:120 but OO modellers not being active and creative on the forum. Only OO modellers can influence the OO scene...

I'll say it again, I do not begrudge TT120 their fun.  In simple fact, I really appreciate it.  I think its a vibrant subsection with plenty of excited enthusiasts.  Crack on Rallymatt & TT120 friends!  Never stop!

In comparison, OO does not seem as active.  That isn't a surprise to me.  Lots of newly minted TT enthusiasts, sharing their joy.  Not as many newly minted OO enthusiasts.  

And to @Rallymatt's point, if you want to see more OO, then contribute more.  There is no need to lurk.  I notice plenty of names at the top of the page, with Hornby saying that they are "also here".  Yet they do not start a new conversation.  They do not respond to others.  Perhaps they are shy.  Perhaps they are afraid of saying the wrong thing, thinking they will be judged.  No sir (or madam)!  No need to hide in the shadows, the vast majority here do not bite.  Pretty evenly tempered too.  Judgement free¹ zone.  

I would like to see what you are working on.  Your layout, your models.  That's what the TT group is on about. Sharing.

Bee

¹certain exclusions apply😉

• Like 2

OO modellers and fans can create a similar community to the one that’s developing in the TT:120 area if they want, Hornby has provided the platform it’s just up to us how we use it. There is a very different dynamic between the two scales and is reflected in the forum. 

@SteveM6 appreciate the rephrase, I was having visions of being told to ‘settle down’ in class… (long time ago) 🤣

I think someone also touched on OO layouts being more developed so modellers might not be so focused on the hobby especially when the sun is out and look to take time away from the hobby. In the past it has been noticeably seasonal. 

• Like 1

The TT world is new and vibrant with most everyone building a brand new layout for it. The 00 world is as stated mostly mature layouts with the odd new starter jumping in. As Bee says - don't be shy, make a contribution and expand the community.

• Like 2

I too had noticed the drop off in postings on 00 matters. I put it down to the seasonal effect mentioned by RanaT but it crosses my mind that present day 00 models are generally not susceptible to diy repair or conversion - they're too fragile and complicated - so there's not so much to post about except moans when they don't work. It tends to be old timers like me who insist on fiddling with ancient Triang stuff who come up with random queries. I have one brewing at the moment involving an ancient Stuart Reidpath mech and you don't see many of those these days. We 00 modellers are, I fear, a dying breed - and I know: I've just got away with a stroke that stopped me posting for a while. If I'm not be so lucky next time there will be one less poster.

50 minutes ago, threelink said:

I too had noticed the drop off in postings on 00 matters. I put it down to the seasonal effect mentioned by RanaT but it crosses my mind that present day 00 models are generally not susceptible to diy repair or conversion - they're too fragile and complicated - so there's not so much to post about except moans when they don't work. It tends to be old timers like me who insist on fiddling with ancient Triang stuff who come up with random queries. I have one brewing at the moment involving an ancient Stuart Reidpath mech and you don't see many of those these days. We 00 modellers are, I fear, a dying breed - and I know: I've just got away with a stroke that stopped me posting for a while. If I'm not be so lucky next time there will be one less poster.

I fix a lot of modern day Hornby locos especially broken ones I get secondhand, they are no more difficult to fix than the old Triang ones. There is the issue of spare parts but Hornby use a lot of common parts across models so quite often there is a part available. Even with the Royal Scot valve gear I found that there is another one that can be easily modified. I must admit if I have an issue I normally go to RMWEB, there is a wider range of people that know things and because there is a range of different people you can have a balanced discussion. I have noticed there are less and less people posting on this forum but as I always say it is voluntary to post here so if people don't like what they see they won't bother.

• Like 2

Remember us HO scale modellers! I do sometimes think I am the only person on the Hornby Int'l forum..........unfortunately there is a limit to the amount of models I can buy at a time and my posts are limited as I've never lost a driveshaft or had rubbing axles.

My KLV should be here in a couple of weeks so have the camera prepared for another post.