Is this is any valuable loco

Deem

HORNBY R2142 Britannia Class 70038 ROBIN HOOD - LTD EDN

Just wondering if this is more valuable than others from that era being LTD EDN, only reason I am asking, because this is  an unused Loco, but have ring field motor in tender and I am not a fan of these tender driven Loco's. If this was Loco driven, even it didn't have special value I would have kept but right now I am not sure. So I am hoping more experienced Modeller can shed some light on this being worth keeping or not?

"Limited Edition" is a phrase Hornby marketing uses to create a sense of rarity and fear of missing out among customers.

It has been repeatedly shown that this has little distinguishing value as compared to an item that is not called "limited edition" but it sounds marvelous! 😉

Deem,

I get the sense you are trying to decide which locomotives to sell, in your quest for a new controller.  

If this is one you don't like, for what ever reason, then out the door it goes.   Make sure to use the "limited edition" phrase in your title, for the exact same reason that Hornby does.

Just make two piles.  One pile is keep.  The other pile is sell.  I know you really want to keep them all, but requirements drive the issue.

Bee

• Like 1

Thanks for your advice, but I still want to know more about this particular Loco, I also know the true value is based on what a person is willing to pay for what they like and how much they want? I already have few loco on sale at eBay so if they get sold, I should be OK to buy Elite but brand new this time.

1 hour ago, Deem said:

Thanks for your advice, but I still want to know more about this particular Loco, I also know the true value is based on what a person is willing to pay for what they like and how much they want? I already have few loco on sale at eBay so if they get sold, I should be OK to buy Elite but brand new this time.

The other factor on "LTD EDN" locos is the box it came in - a prestine box is a good selling point.

There WAS one on Ebay Australia for under $200 now sold, but it was also analogue.

Edited by Aussie Fred

R2142 was a limited run of 1000 made for wholesaler A B Gee in 1999.  At the time of Pat Hammond's last Catalogue of British Model Trains in 2013, it was valued at the same level as other versions issued at around the same time (just before the model received an slight upgrade in 2000), several of which were also 'Limited Editions'.

• RB51 changed the title to Is this is any valuable loco
5 hours ago, Brew Man said:

Seems like people aren't as daft as Hornby thought then.

I am not so sure about that, I suspect a lot of buyers that bought it thought it would be an investment. Even now go onto EBay and you will see some people charging well over the odds for them, fortunately they are still on the site. Hornby did make a motor in loco one which fetches a lot more, I think in that form it is desirable. The issue with the later ones is that get through final drive gears because the drive is on the end wheel, so it does more work than if it was off the centre wheel and the valve gear is very easy to break. It sits on some hangers from the chassis and it is so easy to break when you are putting the body on.

4 hours ago, ColinB said:

... I suspect a lot of buyers that bought it thought it would be an investment...

One of the true benefits of being a regular correspondent here on the Forum is the wealth of knowledge present and if that correspondent is paying attention, that knowledge can be absorbed.

Plenty of buyers exist who do not have the discernment to know what has value, what does not.  They could get some of that discernment right here, but may skip the Forum.

I learned that a Hornby "Limited Edition" certificate has little value, right here.  So could others.

Buyer beware

Bee

As has been stated in other threads, value is simply in the eye of the beholder.  Unfortunately unless you plan to keep your purchases in pristine/unopened condition for over 100 yrs, you are unlikely to realise much from model railways as an ‘investment’.

• Like 1

Sorry this is going a bit of track, but I have a number of loco's bought twenty years ago, that have never been out of their boxes, but would probably fetch more than twice what I paid for them (bought new). Certainly not bought as an investment - heaven forbid - but it's nice to think that, one day, they can be sold, and not at a loss, not that anyone will give a thought as to what they originally cost.

Edited by Bulleidboy

2 hours ago, What About The Bee said:

One of the true benefits of being a regular correspondent here on the Forum is the wealth of knowledge present and if that correspondent is paying attention, that knowledge can be absorbed.

Plenty of buyers exist who do not have the discernment to know what has value, what does not.  They could get some of that discernment right here, but may skip the Forum.

I learned that a Hornby "Limited Edition" certificate has little value, right here.  So could others.

Buyer beware

Bee

Actually there is a couple of locos that are a bit of an investment, not to that greater level but fetch a reasonable amount. Wrenn original build West Country/Battle of Britain and the Royal Scot. These regularly fetch high prices. I was looking at the going rate for my Wrenn City of Wells and was really surprised at how much it would cost to replace it. Those two loco designs were the better of the Wrenn Locos, so perhaps that is why they fetch so much. The rebuilt version of the West Country fetches nowhere near as much. 

What things cost to replace and what people are prepared to pay are two different things. Two years later I am still trying to sell off my late Father’s collection. Dealers want to pay nothing, I tried a swap meet, the only sensible option is eBay where SOME of the items get somewhere near what could be expected. Seriously I am just getting what I can for items now as job lots. The amount of time it takes is unbelievable, especially as the Post Office seem to have recently decided to destroy a lot of the items I post. Ok they refund me but I have to put a claim in first which is more time. I have probably got through half the items, but at least I have finally brought myself round to dismantle his layout. Hopefully the people who get the items appreciate them!