Class 50: are you pleased with your model?

dBerriff

11 hours ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

As far as I know they were BR corporate blue with twin arrows, but, using modellers licence I say the green one is acceptable to run with steam as they entered service in 67 hence me buying one.

At sometime I want to paint out the upper yellow from around the windows and put a BR late crest on.

I really wish you hadn't mentioned the green one as it does look good and now I think I need one for my collection even though I swore I would stick to era 3, 4 and 5.💸

• Haha 5

Desperately fighting the green. I never really like the livery on 7, both in model form or when I used to see the real thing (personal choice and probably in the minority I accept and probably tainted at the time by the renaming). However, there are only so many large logo renumbers/renames I can justify.....look at Lara black roof options or Monarch with blue roof perhaps, now there's at least 1 or 2 more then, even though my future TT120 layout is aimed at the midlands. Oops! You may guess I like the 50 model a lot and maybe lucky but no shaft issues or falling off bits amongst the lot of 'em. Happy camper.

Edited by Rustyjt

Initial impressions are very positive. Plenty of detail for me without adding any extras and I like the green finish. I am running it on DC initially and it is very quiet and smooth. Now that I understand why the shafts can pop out I believe I can take steps to stop that happening. So a first "big" diesel-electric for the collection and I am pleased. A Class 66 is on pre-order at the old price and that will probably be it for the diesels unless I get an early BR Class 08.

• Like 2

Check out the video Richard has done on class 43. It shows another scenario for ‘shaft ejection’ If one does make a bid for freedom, it’s a good idea to see which cause it is, Drive cups too far apart or catching on the slots in the drive cup. The shaft upgrade is same, just you might also need to tweak the spacings. I mentioned it in passing on my video but wasn’t the issue on the 50 I had in front of me. Richard shows a really easy way to adjust the drive cup on the bogie without needing a bearing puller to move the flywheel and de solder motor etc. 

• Like 1

I tried out the locomotives in my display cases.
Yes, the coupling is strong, but not stronger than the other locomotive couplings from Hornby, Arnold, MTB, Tillig, Roco and Piko. It's well within the average range.

What radii are we talking about? Is it perhaps an S-curve?

In that case, we have more of a general problem.

31 minutes ago, david_watts1 said:

Been playing with Eddie again today, and is it just mine, but are the springs in the couplings too strong, so as the loco goes around corners it derails the lead wagon because it's too light.

You need to watch the video I did on updating the cardan shafts, Inalso show you how to ease them off, if the cab floor is to tightly screwed down it stops the KK system moving freely, usually on does it on one end

Standard rad 3 curve on a test oval. I thought swapping out the lead Peco wagon for a Hornby one might cure the problem, it didn't. None of the 3 new Duchesses pull the lead wagon off of the rails. I am currently using Close Hunt couplings, I wonder if the longer Imtermediate ones might help since they would have more leverage on the mechanism.

Just now, david_watts1 said:

Standard rad 3 curve on a test oval. I thought swapping out the lead Peco wagon for a Hornby one might cure the problem, it didn't. None of the 3 new Duchesses pull the lead wagon off of the rails. I am currently using Close Hunt couplings, I wonder if the longer Imtermediate ones might help since they would have more leverage on the mechanism.

Ok, that's not normal, check the locomotive based on Rallymatt's hint.

Well that was a joy to fix😠. I took out the 4 body screws and lost one to the floor for 10mins. Slackened off the cab screws, no effect. Put longer shanked couplings on, no effect. Tried to stretch a spring to lessen its effect and accidentally dismantled the coupling mechanism. Then the spring pinged off. I stretched it and then it wouldn't go back on the pegs. In the end I just reassembled the coupling without the spring. The other coupling I managed to stretch the spring slightly without too big an issue. Testing each step with a small wagon train. You can get quite fed up waiting for the bluetooth to connect. So, I was right, the springs are too strong for the job and derail the wagons. A slackened spring and no spring work fine. How to kiss 2 hours of your life goodbye😣.

On 10/09/2024 at 16:58, david_watts1 said:

Been playing with Eddie again today, and is it just mine, but are the springs in the couplings too strong, so as the loco goes around corners it derails the lead wagon because it's too light.

I've had that happen as well.

That appears to be the case. The lightness of a vent van or 7 plank truck is the reason for skew whiffing off on the tighter corners. I put a 50’ brake in there to stop it. So, Sir Ed with coaches shouldn’t give you a problem 

Edited by Skelton Junction