Class 50 era 7 Digital Discontinued

Tim Allen

Looks like the digital version of the Class 50 era 7 has now been discontinued and removed from the website. You can still find it on the site if you search on google for TT3014TXSM and its status is discontinued on the meta data tag. 

Looks like it’s gone the way of the Class 08 era 7, Mallard DCC and the LNER brake van.

Whilst they may return in the future under a different number or livery i think it’ll be a good few years before they do. Hornby have a back log of new stuff waiting to be released first.IMG_0218.thumb.png.b1d3526b4d465794dd3cf0bb5390154c.png

• Like 1

The metadata shows TT3014TXSM will be available 23-02-2025 if I've made sense of the HTML.

As a newbie can I ask if this is normal for Hornby, that things go out of stock meaning there will be replacements (with different numbers, possibly) at some point or does the fact that the model has disappeared from the web site mean it has been discontinued? 

And is there any point to the 'Last chance to buy' page when it only shows three TT120 items that are out of stock and discontinued models like Leviathan never appeared there :classic_blink:?

I might have asked a variation of this question before but as I don't have an infinite budget I find it difficult to decide what I might buy next. Is it just safer to assume that when it goes out of stock that it is unlikely to reappear, particularly for named locos such as Leviathan?

Hi @Martin-369195 I am relatively new at this too and I am sure some others, more experienced in the ways of Hornby (and model makers generally) will be able to go into this further.

What I have become aware of is:

1. Models like the Class 50 Leviathan will have a planned production quantity (say - 500) in a particular livery with an anticipated sale rate.

2. Once the planned production quantity has been achieved, no further models in that livery are scheduled for production and the sales rate then dictates how avilable the model remains.

3. The exception to this is where the manufacturer has a "special" or trade mark model that is regularly bought, i.e. the Flying Scotsman, Mallard.

This approach allows the manufacture to repeat points 1 & 2 for new loco/rolling stock designs and increase their variety of model in the market place

I would hazard a guess that manaufacturers then plan for the model to reintroduced a few years later in a new guise.

Hope that helps.  i am sure that someone else with a better undersatanding will put us in the picture 🙂 

• Like 1

Personally I’d say it was safe to assume that particular named locos (aside from ‘famous’/popular ones) are unlikely to be restocked.  However it is almost certain that the model will appear again in either a different livery or even possibly same livery but different name/number.

Edited by LTSR_NSE
  • Like 3

Hopefully some further BR Blue identities incoming so I can add to the one I have.

It would be Superb(50002) if Hornby were Courageous(50032) and went for a locomotive of some Renown(55029) such as:

50021 Rodney (or Dave if you prefer)
50025 Invincible (scrapped after a collision with an object placed on the line by vandals
50043 Eagle ( or Eddie if you prefer)

It would be Glorious(50033) if some Resolution(50018) can be found to provide a Bulwark(50042) to their TT120 range.

I could go on but I'm sure you'd all prefer I stop there.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

Given the cost of tooling, I would expect that there will be a good flow of 50s but in different liveries, just like other models. There are plenty of 50040 about and always option to pop a decoder in a DCC ready one. 

100% they’ll return eventually. We know the GBRf livery is due next year, I’m hoping they do a small logo era 7 but I’m sure once I see the 31 and 37 running I’ll be class 50?!?!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Irishmail said:

@Craig-803583 That's quite a Formidable (50038) selection.  Some of us will be Furious (50034) if Hornby don't produce any more. 🙂 .  

If we were to be Hood (50031) winked, that would surely Repulse (50030) anyone.

We can only hope that they turn out to be Fearless(50050) with the heart of a Lion (50027) and show Howe (55023) they are no paper Tiger (50028) and will Triumph (50042).

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Tim Allen said:

100% they’ll return eventually. We know the GBRf livery is due next year, I’m hoping they do a small logo era 7 but I’m sure once I see the 31 and 37 running I’ll be class 50?!?!

I prefer the large logo, but a small logo one would work for me - the 2 would be different enough that i wouldn't need to look too closely.  I might also consider a NSE one.

1 hour ago, Craig-803583 said:

If we were to be Hood (50031) winked, that would surely Repulse (50030) anyone.

We can only hope that they turn out to be Fearless(50050) with the heart of a Lion (50027) and show Howe (55023) they are no paper Tiger (50028) and will Triumph (50042).

Class 50 jokes are my Achilles (50045) heel. You have put in a Valiant (50015) effort, if I do say so myself! I suspect you’ll gain some Renown (50029) on this forum for your Formidable (50038) creativity…

🤣👍

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

Class 50 jokes are my Achilles (50045) heel. You have put in a Valiant (50015) effort, if I do say so myself! I suspect you’ll gain some Renown (50029) on this forum for your Formidable (50038) creativity…

🤣👍

I think I've found my Collingwood (50005) you agree?

• Haha 2

It's funny, isn't it that in the olden days when I was a kid the manufacturers used to produce thousands, sometimes tens of thousands, of locos with exactly the same number, anyone remember Jinty 47606?! And we used to moan a bit but then get on with re-numbering or re-liverying it into something else... Nowadays they only produce a limited number of each number(!) and then produce another version, in different livery and number which is what we always wanted back then... Yet we still moan! Sometimes I do feel for the manufacturers, talk about can't do right for doing wrong! 🤣😉

Edited by Hobby11
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Hobby11 said:

It's funny, isn't it that in the olden days when I was a kid the manufacturers used to produce thousands, sometimes tens of thousands, of locos with exactly the same number, anyone remember Jinty 47606?! And we used to moan a bit but then get on with re-numbering or re-liverying it into something else... Nowadays they only produce a limited number of each number(!) and then produce another version, in different livery and number which is what we always wanted back then... Yet we still moan! Sometimes I do feel for the manufacturers, talk about can't do right for doing wrong! 🤣😉

Unfortunately, as you say the manufacturers can never win. 

There are always people who want different things and they will never be satisfied what ever is made.

In the old days converting/repainting etc was the normal and most people got on and did it, and usually enjoyed it, so there was no real need for manufacturers to change their number etc.

These days most people do not want to do any modelling as such, many will make buildings etc but seem to want manufacturers to do all the changes for them and have models from the box.

It is a no win situation and I am grateful I grew up in the old days of "make or do without". Plus, I doubt I will still be around to see Hornby produce all the different locos I would like or have.

1 hour ago, Hobby11 said:

Remember, when Hornby continued to make the Jinty, and other locos of that era, they had their own factory, so if they wanted to top up supply in the field they would just do another run when it suited. However, it’s not so easy nowadays to continuously turn out models even with different numbers. Now you have to book a limited run slot in a factory queue, which could be a long wait for a rerun. We had a single run of TTA’s and then nothing. No idea if or when a rerun of a very popular wagon will be seen