Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Does that mean you have spent next years tenner as well Rob. Like the Prestwin wagon. 

I had that tenner in the bank Brian. The shop does lay-away with pay by instalments, so I can pop in and deposit my pocket money until I see something I like.

I am not into weatheirng but that wagon looks far too clean for general use. I must Google it and see what they carried.

RAF96,

I'd be interested in knowing what you find out about the Prestwin, I've got one sandwiched between a couple of Fisons wagons, in memory of my father who worked for Fisons for many years./media/tinymce_upload/26c65b047854412abd5e1fb4934e422d.JPG

I've also got a few Grimsby Fish & Norstand as a reminder of my birthplace!

I have finished my rather crazy collection of what I believe are all the Llanfair PG (Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch) Hornby OA wagons./media/tinymce_upload/5f2b62831ee0fbfe41c17e50cd902da7.jpg

Must be a by product of 'Lock down' and living in North Wales, not so far from the place..... Now back to some 'Proper' railway modelling.Kevin Fisher

The Prestwin wagon was introduced by British Railways in 1960 and came in two slighly different designs. the first to diagram 1/274 had 10' 6" wheelbase and the twin silos were higher and closer together as a result, Hornby's model is like this, The later version as depicted by the Airfix / Dapol kit diagram 1/277 of 1962 had 12' 0" wheelbase and the silos were further apart and lower. Both versions could carry 20 tons of powder. 

They carried a variety of products, Sand, Lime Tripolyphosphate and Alumina being typical. They were not used for cement because the Presflo was specifically designed for this. These were always painted brown, and private owner liveries are fictitious.

/media/tinymce_upload/2977a53552e001bdf42814afaf3c9502.jpg

These were the very last two in existence, seen here at Broughton Lane in the Sheffield area on 2nd October 1983 just before scrapping.

Twin silo wagons did not really catch on in the UK although there were quite a few in mainland Europe and HO scale models of these appeared here in a variety of liveries by overseas manufacturers.These too were ficticious.

Just missed out when Rails had a super deal on the Lord Nelson a year or so ago ... but finally managed to 'win' an 'excellent used' example for a reasonable price ... not certain if it is excellent yet as has yet to arrive.

Just arrived is a Markits 10" Westinghouse pump I'm going to try to install on the LHS above the bogie of my Royal Scot.

I fitted a similar one to my Britannia at the front behind the smoke deflectors.

The pump for the Royal Scot will require some 'surgery' - drilling a 6mm hole so I need to confirm it'll fit before I start - again, it'll be behind the smoke deflector.

Al.

It appears I've the incorrect Westinghouse pump - the smaller #8 is more correct, without fins.

Scottie won't be modified - it would require major changes to the LHS deflector as well, which I'm not capable of doing to an adequate standard, but also I'm not a fan of the modification - I like the cleaner lines of the original pre-pump deflector.

Can't wait for the Lord Nelson .... !!

Al.

Two boxes containing brass and whitemetal loco detailing items (chimneys, safety valves, cylinder blocks, snifting valves whistles vac pipes and so on) and wheels of all sizes so that I can upgrade my roster of locos. That's my evenings and weekends sorted for the next 6 months or more.

Just ordered the following with birthday money.

Dapol - ex Airfix of course - Meat Van, 2 x Cattle Wagons and a Presflow. Quite like theses kits as it is a model to construct and to be used on the railway. 

Bauxite paint for the above

3 PECO rail built buffer stops.

Hornby BR Maroon 12 wheel dining car. Hornby site says it is era 5 so I hope it will be fine with Hornby BR MK1s in Maroon. 

Ten x ESU speakers in enclosures to be wired in series pairs as they are each 4-Ohm.

Also a yard length of 25 x25mm square plastic extrusion from Homebase to chop into 1” lengths to make into speaker enclosures for some bare speakers I have laying around. Enough to last me forever for a couple of quid.

Worked out some money, and along with my preordered Beatles Yellow Submarine Eurostar train pack now shipping from Hatton's, I also purchased the 00 Hogwarts Express set and on Etsy found an unopened Night Mail Express set (looks like late 1980's or early 1990's?) for a fantastic price.

Looks like I will have quite a choice to make for under the tree running this Christmas!

Been a while since I was here; and my most recent acquisition came from Britain; a second hand LNER liveried Gresley A1 Gladiateur, seperated from the 2007 Queen of Scots limited edition train set it had been created for; there was some damage to the coal rails on the tender, and the reversing rod was on the wrong side (a common issue I'm lead to understand?), but otherwise, a very charming addition.

To complement the existing 2MT and 4MT standard tank engines I have of Bachmann, I managed to find a very-recent 3MT standard tank for 'a reasonable price'.

Expected to arrive tomorrow ... 

The 2MT's an older, split chassis (!!) model, but has a really good weight and is a superb runner.

Al.