Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

A set of new nameplates etc. for my Railroad County class loco.  Also a Zimo sound card for this 2 cylinder machine.  For a lower-priced model, it really looks good and sounds great.  An extragavance perhaps, but I am mightily pleased with it.  Very little space for the chip in the loco, had to relocate the speaker to the tender.

Rod

My latest aquisition has been a book, Southern Maunsell 4-4-0 classes L, D1, E1, L1 and V by David Maidment, published by Pen and Sword, and there are some lovely pictures in there, including quite a few in colour. Oh that the L1 could return to the fold in 4mm form!

• 2 weeks later...

My latest acquisition is the following:

X4 Oxford Rail OR763FO004 Mark 3 Coaches Mk3 FO Stobart Rail 11013

I pre-ordered these four coaches with Hatton's Model Railways, back in February 2017. Yes, a very long wait!  😆

The other week, my complete pre-order arrived, but not without any fauts, sadly! Two of the coaches were fine; However, one had a wonky under pipe that sticking out dangerousely out, to the side of the coach, meaning that it will get broken if it hit the platform. As it was glued in this position, I was not able to move where it's supposed to be.

Also, another coach had a loose buffer in the box. Hatton's Model Railways were supberb in arranging two replacements for me, which have arrived and have nothing wrong. I never had to contact Hatton's Model Railways much, but when I do, they never fail to impress me. Great custiomer service.

The coaches are very nice and well detailed, but suppose the extra detail does come at a cost of more faults being present. Other than that, they are better than I could ever dremed them to be and I hope that Oxford Rail release some more Mk3 caoches in the near future, with the same Stobart Pullman / Rail livery, with different numbers on and / or different type of coaches.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Hornby Terrier, the new version. R3767. BR Lined Black, Early Crest. 32655 (Stepney).General views....after I had installed a loco crew, and changed the colour of the reverser lever and regulator....and the gauge glasses./media/tinymce_upload/4e26e2c6b7b933f12cc154a742019972.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/9ad46aa2d903b6cccadcd2092e365246.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/1ed18333e39b0569c4deafa87a5e9174.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/cf26f3497284fdde35af0a9419860b5f.jpgThe extra pipes, which fit under the buffer beams...[/b]/media/tinymce_upload/e9aa69a240b5160fa93fe30f96e21b64.jpg

Initial modifications...All locos deserve a crew!

/media/tinymce_upload/3558b3252d0123b82fd4ea7cd071455c.jpgThe gauge glasses look better (IMO) in white than "Copper" or "Brass", and the Reverser is not likely to be made of Brass or Copper, as it would likely bend! (It is coloured "Copper" or "Brass"as it comes.

/media/tinymce_upload/bd13268681846d7ac398ff30b2e6aeb2.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/4f63bbad3ddde66080526656f3e534dd.jpgThe Regulator is plain black as it comes....I prefer it in red!

/media/tinymce_upload/9e98c7e3047ed9473e20003882078005.jpg

Getting into the cab...body dis-assembly.The body, boiler, side tanks, cab and bunker, are held onto the metal footplate by 7 screws. one into the smokebox, two each side into the side tanks, and two into the cab/bunker./media/tinymce_upload/c22ec621956f5920b74651a2cb1b5e6c.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/b1e7eb5918ed975e5bf4c4e234f435fa.jpg

The cab seems to be clipped to the boiler, but there are a few pipes from the boiler that are probably glued into the holes in the cab front....I did not try to part the cab from the boiler as I did not relish trying to get the pipes back into their holes, even if they were not glued in!/media/tinymce_upload/ad0c17b274105d03e333d9ab390e329d.jpg

DCC Decoder Fitting.The 6-Pin socket is in a position that precludes the use of most, if not all, direct plug 6-pin decoders.

There are two screws that hold the body and footplate assembly onto the chassis, as detailed in the instructions.

The front screw is under the NEM coupling pocket, which needs to be removed to access the screw./media/tinymce_upload/0eddd6e13b6eb1fd308dd943a9c146d0.jpgThe Hornby R7150 6-pin decoder has a short wire harness and 6-pin plug.The wires are just about the maximum length that can be folded over the decoder, and still fit inside the body.

/media/tinymce_upload/a9bce944ca304b485ba60d683850003c.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/bbbf4cfc6ba77dcd4863caf7bfc6d4d3.jpgSome insulating tape is a very good idea to cover the exposed connexions, and prevent the decoder coming into contact with any metal...

/media/tinymce_upload/7fa34f4b51199b97292516a86d61e3d5.jpgIt is one of very few 6-pin decoders that can be fitted, it would seem....I have got the Hornby decoder, and fitted it to mine. Less hassle for me.

Couplings.I have fitted Kadee NEM couplings to my Terrier. #19. The NEM pockets on the Terrier are at the correct height when seated properly, but the Kadee couplings require packing under the shaft inside the pockets, otherwise they are a bit of a loose fit and droop.

/media/tinymce_upload/b1008f10a67607ea3ea9e178827bdd9b.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e3d8eaa186f5d69994bc41b227abbd53.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/5a4c9a812025d750c40769c06c4e0ae4.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/d3dab981684d26e45163b1790d86f2cc.jpgCoupled to a Hornby Ex LNER Class O1 tender chassis...again the NEM pocket is at the correct height..../media/tinymce_upload/eaaddfb5c0eeec16cb04ddee3acc24da.jpg

My latest acquisition is a proper crimp tool and a tie wrap gun. Oh so much easier to use than pliers.

As for locos and rolling stick, sorry but the costs have gone up dramatically such that I now spend on infrastructure i.e. control systems that I have designed myself. 

Hi Jimbo...

I think that I can see what you mean...

But any similarity is purely coincidental! 😉

The crew are Bachmann figures from the Locomotive Staff set.

The fireman was a wheel tapper, he has lost his hammer!

I think that the driver was a cleaner, with his rag removed....

Lost his rag? 😉

A bit of re grading...

There is still a shortage of decent loco crew figures...

There are some very good figures available, but it can work out pricy...

I tend to look for sets like the BM ones, at cheap prices!

@Sarah,

The new Hornby A1 / A1X is a really excellent model,  I have now got two, the BR early crest 32655 and the SECR 751, and I am already  debating whether to get one in Improved Engine Green or not.

Some years ago I was given a footplate ride on one from Haven Street to  Smallbrook Junction and back. I discovered just how small the footplate is. I spent 70% of the journey just outside the cab, although fortunately it was a lovely sunny day, so probably I had the best position. The firedoor is actually below the level of the floor of the cab so shovelling coal is a backbreaking job for the fireman.

I have just ordered a "Cheap" Lima deltic in Blue with damaged body on ebay (around £25. It claims to be a good runner so I intend to use the bogies on a spare class 50 chassis. I have also ordered an Edward Elgar Body for the same project.

The bogies worked out cheaper than buying them separately. but the cost of the body might tip the project a few ponds over some complete Edward Elgars. Howeverm I might get a deltic chassis that I can use to replace a cracked one in my current deltic, which should result in a net saving

A Train-Tech Smart Screen for review, which I shall report on later about how to set it up and use it with Hornby kit, hopefully including RM.

Only when you unpack it do you realise how tiny it is - a mere 2cm x 1cm and capable of holding up to 10 different programmable messages, that can be accessed as loco or accessory addresses.

I also have a bargain but basket case Class 31 Minotaur that needs a replacement (i.e. missing) lighting board/drivers desk at one end and converting to TTS. A complete overhaul may be advisable as the wheels seem to have excessive side float and either jam up or the gears slip.

I managed to get these which is a Jouef clockwork set, this version I believe from 1970. The loco works perfectly and I know it’s a toy but my favourite train set of my youth was the Jouef/Playcraft clockwork D6100 with two red french coaches, car carrier, large oval of track, level crossing etc. This is the first one I have seen at a sensible price for some time. 

I have a number of Jouef clockwork locos, all perfectly working and just need the German loco to complete the set. 

/media/tinymce_upload/fb1049ac3191217c78f1cba96822c046.jpg