Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Class 58 EWS Livery

Absoloutly stunning loco, the detail such as the metal hand rails going up to the cab and the metal rail along the top blows some of the newer models out the water, I also have a New class 66 and although I love it to bits cause I like modern diesels a lot the detail on the loco is no where near as good as the class 58, and I paid half the price of the class 66 for the 58.

Going to get the class 58 converted to DCC So wish me luck, if anyone has any tips let me know or prices actually of what it should roughly cost.

Let me know what you think of the model

Regards

A new power supply for my Ecos, with the old power supply you only had to touch the controller and it would trip out, thinking it needed a costly repair I brought a new Ecos  I  tried the old Ecos with the new power supply all the problems disappeared.

Proper and logical diagnosis saves you a fortune.

Using box change logic is the wallet hurting method.

Edit - if you must use the box change method go down the cheapest to dearest route not vice-versa.

I've just taken delivery of the new Bachmann ROD 1918 - I thought I was buying a "British" loco but now I'm not sure.now as I believe ROD 2004 in Australia now carries 1918!

Does anyone know where the real 1918 operated and who it may have been loaned to.

Well it finally arrived - Midland Compound 31-930 NRM - 1000.

Took a little longer than anticipated, but had been packaged to withstand a nuclear holocaust I reckon - better safe ... as they say!!

A little dusty - not like me I know!

/media/tinymce_upload/1c485ce0832cec8b47b832ebfd8e3a01.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/bf1ac6e80f95e1f8c1d8227f8318918a.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/fd67894e36f0599ae2f6978a3af76ddc.jpg

If it goes half as well as it looks, it'll be superb!!

Al.

It's really during transit that the box will be exposed. If it arrived intact, then it did it's job - you can decide how you store from now.

Lights would be a bit of a let down as the rest looks so good, and they're definitely becoming the 'norm' for higher quality models ... but it still LOOKS great I reckon - nice buy.

Al.

Thanks guys.

I did something my enthusiasm normally stops me from doing this time ... before I started fitting everything I actually tested it and ... 100% agree - super smooth.

There is a problem - it has one sander pipe, 'though I have a lot of different-diameter piano wire and can see a hole where it probably fell out of, so if I get a 'quiet moment or three', I'll try and make one - how difficult can it be ..... !!!!!!!!!!

The rest as you say, what a fantastic little locomotive.

Al.

Sod's Law did win!!

Looking more closely, I fitted the front splashers - 3x I may add!! - the wrong way around! Rounded to the inside, squared off to the outside ...

Easily remedied and refitted.

The rest seems OK.

Space in the Victorian cab is very restricted, so the crew are having a fight for space!!

I could have left it without, as I doubt it'll run again in real life, but  ... done now anyway.

Al.

Last contribution on the Midland Compound 1000 topic from me, for now ....

The 'Cavalcade' I was talking about was the 150th Anniversary at Rainhill a few years ago ....

Some photos of mine 'detailed up' - without shovels, etc., for now.

/media/tinymce_upload/d8b2718a788063b6b4e7dd15e3806b06.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/aaa43b4ca9be21c610beae55023691f6.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/1ed0072a63209cca9c055813570bd541.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/12123ea427e50e597f7e737e9e128baa.jpg

Al.

I managed to get this at a nice price on an online auction site as I assume no-one else wanted it on the day. I had wanted one of these since it was reviewed in Model Railway Constructor in the 1070s (I was still at school so couldn’t afford one then). It runs perfectly,the seller said it has had hardly any use and I can believe it. the wheels are spotless. 

What I don’t understand is I seem to remember the short 4 wheel coaches being reviwed at the same time. I have some with Playcraft on the bottom and with Peco type couplings. The chassis on this loco was never designed to have any coupling other than the ones it has. Is this a later chassis or were the coaches and loco produced concurrently with different couplings?

/media/tinymce_upload/d947f330be408202d2becdddf87c3869.jpg

I splashed out on a Minerva Models Manning Wardle K class 0-6-0ST, which I have wanted for a long time ever since I saw one at the club. As I have gone full DCC and Sound on my Gauge O this has both fitted from new.

I am currently scratch building some contractor's side tip wagons (Manchester Ship Canal type) to run behind it.

'Won' another classic over the weekend - Bachmann City of Truro - I've gone for the 3440 'record breaking' livery as 'worn' in 1904. Brown frames.

Should receive tomorrow, so will post a couple of photos.

I'd read a couple of posts relating that a complete spare bogie frame is supplied, and none of the reviewers figured out why at the time. Turns out theres a non-prototypical-looking moulding in the front of the as-supplied bogie to permit a coupling - the 'spare' one doesn't have this.

I'm hoping mine comes with all of the bits, as it's described as 'new' ... we'll see.

Al.

Received a replacement for the new Bachmann class 90 last week, and fortunately only 1 tiny piece of pipe had fallen off.  It was so small, I thought it was a bit of black thread initially!  Shan’t worry about it now.  As I had bought the Legoman sound card, fitted that.  On trials on my rolling road the start up routine is very good, the pantograph rises up at a (to me) prototypical speed, and the engine start up follows.  Very good bit of kit, one day I might even have a decent run of track for it, rather than the windowcill of the conservatory lol

Rod

YReceived a replacement for the new Bachmann class 90 last week, and fortunately only 1 tiny piece of pipe had fallen off.  It was so small, I thought it was a bit of black thread initially!  Shan’t worry about it now.  As I had bought the Legoman sound card, fitted that.  On trials on my rolling road the start up routine is very good, the pantograph rises up at a (to me) prototypical speed, and the engine start up follows.  Very good bit of kit, one day I might even have a decent run of track for it, rather than the windowcill of the conservatory lol

Rod

Hi Rod would you mind measuring the height the panto rises to from the railhead. I wanted these locos but I was concerned looking at pictures that the panto wouldn’t make contact with my Hornby catenary system. Thanks in advance

Stu.

YReceived a replacement for the new Bachmann class 90 last week, and fortunately only 1 tiny piece of pipe had fallen off.  It was so small, I thought it was a bit of black thread initially!  Shan’t worry about it now.  As I had bought the Legoman sound card, fitted that.  On trials on my rolling road the start up routine is very good, the pantograph rises up at a (to me) prototypical speed, and the engine start up follows.  Very good bit of kit, one day I might even have a decent run of track for it, rather than the windowcill of the conservatory lol

Rod

Hi Rod would you mind measuring the height the panto rises to from the railhead. I wanted these locos but I was concerned looking at pictures that the panto wouldn’t make contact with my Hornby catenary system. Thanks in advance

Stu.

Hi Stu,

just opened the laptop, so sorry for not replying earlier.  The height from railhead to top of pantograph is 70mm  (as far as I can determine using a vernier gauge and 76 years of eyesight!)   it was most enjoyable watching the start-up sequence again, seeing the pantograph being raised.

hope this is of use to you

Rod