Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Not Much this month

R3766 NCB, Peckett B2 Class, 0-6-0ST, 1426/1916 

R3852 DVLR, Ruston & Hornsby 48DS, 0-4-0, 417892 'Jim' 

3x R40124 BR, 6 Wheel Coach, 3rd Class, Fitted Lights, E31070 

1x R40126 BR, 6 wheel brake 3rd Class, Fitted Lights, E31185E 

And not forgetting the hand painted B2 Peckett Locomotive Footplate Crew.

Tito, our little dachshund passed away at the beginning of July aged 16. (Broke our hearts.) A few of days later I happened to find a bloke on "that auction site" who produces etched GWR name and number plates. I have a 1966 Tri-ang Hornby "Albert Hall" which had long lost its stick-on name plates and there was some rubbing to the numbers so I had some new ones made up for it as a tribute to the little chap and have just fitted them as shown below. I know the number, (3721), really belongs to a pannier tank engine, but that was the date he died, (3rd July (20)21). Incidentally the loco was the first electric steam train I had, it being given to me for my sixth birthday and it's still going strong.

forum_image_611be1ae025cf.thumb.png.1dce5dcd908f97cf01f32e451900ede6.pngforum_image_611be1b3b9a19.thumb.png.8814b4a908a9f3051ea7f797e7541ed8.png

As stated earlier - Golden Plover R2340 Class A4 BR green. - double chimney - has arrived.

One curious thing observed, never previously was the oiler on the RHS had popped out of the running board - all connected.

There's no damage, just a careful couple of dabs of glue to resolve.

Runs well and looks as advertised - basically as if it had never been out of the box.

I'm going to rename / renumber this to Union of South Africa - keeping my 'preserved only' preference to locomotives.

Al.

I managed to get this clockwork set off ‘that’ auction site which has my favourite picture on it. the box is battered so I am going to frame the lid. The only contents were the wagons and two working clockwork mechanisms. Shame it’s Hornby and not Tri-ang Hornby. Also the wagons posed with a suitable loco.

forum_image_611d09b1d2e6c.thumb.png.a79a3c3ee84c1f80f264ee6b31157f90.png

forum_image_611d09bcd6d64.thumb.png.e703cc91173a42760299b29e15b6212f.png

Just ordered another used locomotive - R3119 Duchess of Abercorn ...

Not preserved? OK, it'll be another 'project locomotive'.

I want to prepare Duchess of Sutherland as I prefer her, and remember her when riding on the footplate at Bressingham Steam Gardens in the mid-70's - looks much nicer without blinkers.

Al.

Hi

My latest buys are two more electric locomotives

A Lima class 87 in BR Blue Winston Churchill

A Hornby class 90 in Freight Grey.

So far I have brought 4x Hornby Class 86, 4x Lima class 87 and 2x Hornby class 90 all older models with working pantographs average price £40 each

Next job save to buy some wood to make a new base board for my planned modern era layout with working catenary using the Triang phase 2 system.

Why has this thread changed title to 'Hornby - What's your latest Acquisition?'

Is it an attempt to restrict mention of other manufacturers' products, or that they exist?

I do understand it is a Hornby forum, but we all have a mix of different manufacturers' items - locos, rolling stock, buildings, vehicles, etc.

If, as, when I purchase other manufacturers' products, I'll still mention here, as members have a right to see and understand what is available, and whether or not they're any good.

Al.

@atom3624 I'm glad you posted that Al. I thought I was losing it when I saw the title thinking "I don't remember seeing the word "Hornby" in the title before. scream

I agree. Whilst acknowledging and appreciating the fact it is a Hornby site, I for one would be sorry to see this thread restricted to Hornby only items. Personally speaking, I enjoy seeing what other people have purchased, manufactured, achieved, etc. Also, as you say, it is useful to learn other peoples views on all products.

The mods will have to correct me if I’m wrong…

But I believe that the introduction of ‘Hornby’ into the title is purely because the Airfix/Scalextric/etc. sister sites have very similarly named threads - which were causing unforeseen issues for the new website.

However I can imagine that if members post images and/or review-style comments of competitor current products - that these posts could be seen as advertising/promotional.

@atom, Potterton and LT&SR_NSE

I changed the title purely because, exactly as LT says, the same title was used on the sister Forum pages and as Moderators when we approved images, or first posts, it can be difficult to ensure we are only approving posts for our own Forum.

Fair points all and well understood.

About that Bachmann .... grinning

I have actually just made another acquisition, Hornby R3119 Duchess of Abercorn.

I've a preference for 'preserved steam' and have 2 Royal Scots - BR Green as is now, and LMS Crimson Lake, but as she should be, and I remember having ridden on her footplate, with blinkers of course.

Abercorn is as I remember 6233 Duchess of Sutherland, which is how I plan to change her - without blinkers.

With those raised steam chests (??) she just looks bigger, meaner - and was great fun blasting up and down that little track in Bressingham through the woods!!

Al.

BB - very nice she'll be too.

I've recently purchased 'the blue one' - super smooth runner.

Well, time for my wallet to recover a little I think ... I just purchased a Crab - Bachmann mogul type of course, as seen on the East Lancs Railway 42765.

This one's in B.R. early logo black, but looks fine just the same.

Very good price for 'new', but the postage was a little extortionate - I can handle that!

I was tossing the coin between a Crab and a Stanier mogul - the Crab won.

Transfers and nameplates received to complete the transformation of Golden Plover to Union of South Africa as well.

Transfers and nameplates also received for Abercorn, to rename Sutherland - Abercorn not received yet - due tomorrow.

Al.

R3119 LMS 6234 Duchess of Abercorn has arrived - looking superb.

She's a little dusty.

Won't remain 6234 for long - will renumber / rename 6233 Duchess of Sutherland.

Precisely as I remember her at Bressingham.

I just believe the Duchess / Coronations look bigger, more powerful without the blinkers.

forum_image_61262f8a3cabd.thumb.png.6f48a12b96cbe2e7dd921df097af266e.png

Al.

Abercorn came with the front steps, the rest I have as 'spares' all over the 'work area', so once completed, she can be detailed up to match the other locomotives.

I may add the small side windows as well, like I have with my loco-drive previous model, as preserved Lizzie 6201 and blinkered 6233. It's quite easy to do.

Al.