Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Well my final buy for this year has arrived safely, it is my 4th Class 82 named "Britten".

All I need now is for Hornby to order the production of some more replacement X8013 working pantographs then I can replace the fine scale plastic ones on both "Britten and Milton" for the working metal ones like the ones on "Elgar and Charles Dickens". (they are the same ones also used on Classes 86, 90 and 91.)

I thought I'd treat myself to a SE & CR Terrier. I've been looking for something of the like to run a branch line for a while and this was on at a good price and DCC fitted from Peter's Spares. It came today and looked great so I eagerly put it on the track and turned the knob on the Elite set to Address 3 and - nothing. Tried resetting via CV 8 and still nothing - GRRRR. Tomorrow I'll open it up and test the motor and decoder. Another example of suppliers not testing things before they leave the shop.

Just picked up a Hornby Clan Stewart and a Bachmann class 24 in experimental livery.

Straight from the box they both run beautifully smooth, quiet with no damage or bits fallen off. The paint work and the shade of green on the Clan looks exceptional. Well done Hornby. The quality of the class 24 is what I have come to expect from Bachmann and also a really good accessory pack with all items fitting very well. I also picked up a lovely nine car Avanti Pendolino pack which I haven’t run yet. I hope it’s as good as my ten year old Virgin Pendolino set which still runs as good as new.

I have to agree with you Atom, all of my Bachmann diesels are superb runners. I disregard anything ‘rivet counters’ have to say about any model, my only slight moan about the latest class 24 is the fact that Bachmann have stopped fitting drivers in one end which I always thought was a good feature. Going back to the Clan as I said it is a superb runner and really looks the part.

Recently bought an older Hornby 125 set from that auction site for $20 U.S and $15 for shipping.

This now gives me 2 125s this old one from the 80s and a super detailed set with 2 coaches which I also bought off auction site for $200. I think I did ok price wise with both.

.........Tomorrow I'll open it up and test the motor and decoder. Another example of suppliers not testing things before they leave the shop.

Sorted. Turned out the decoder wasn't properly seated in its socket. Running beautifully now. I wonder about the QC of these things in the factory.

Re the Bachmann diesels, I have two 25s and a 24 and all run very well. They are heavy, 8 wheel pick up and 8 wheel drive, plus must have a flywheel as they run on after the power is shot off, so that must prevent stalling over point work. Class 20s are the same.

However, I have had issues with the 25s - and my class 44 and 46 peaks in that a plastic collar on the driveshafts splits and so the driveshafts spin. All mine could be 20 years old, so some faults are expected, but clearly a weak point.

I managed to fix them with some araldite, but it is a very fiddly job to do, but more than worthwhile to get the superb machines running again.

I am fortunate as I have no idea how many rivets or detail there and no interest in finding out either so am happily oblivious to any omissions or errors in the detail !!!

I suppose it may be a case of driving 'more prototypically' perhaps?

The drive cups and dogbones are plastic, which does seem to work, but with that momentum of the spinning masses combined of the twin flywheels and the armature its something I'm always wary of.

Just in the process of fitting lights into one of my 25's - not certain about the surgery required for the overhead headboard - may just insert directional cab lighting and the tail lights I have fitted so far ... or read the instructions!!

Al.

Just brought myself 4 x MK3 Tourist Second Open coaches in later intercity swallow livery.

OK they are the eight window short length versions but they were affordable £70 for all four including p&p.

Just a couple more of each Tourist Open firsts, seconds, buffets and MK2 brakes or DVTs to get.

My Christmas present to myself arrived today, a four week journey from Canada.

It is a train pack TS 902, should be a trainset but no track or controller came with it.

The contents in very good condition and date from 1969. I bought it mainly for the Switcher locomotive, very rare in UK as most models went to Canada.

Only need a few more switchers now to complete the set. Triang also did the Canadian Pacific livery in the Class F7 , R0552.

forum_image_61dc43784f148.thumb.png.14b16c4b97d80daa6143b4ae62026296.png

forum_image_61dc438d69461.thumb.png.fb8d084383f689af0e4baa7db1846fa9.png

Hi New Lad

Looks like you got both of the rare versions of the Canadian Pacific Locos there.

Have you got the 4 coaches to go with the Class F7 loco?.

In my collection I have the bright red versions of both, I have a number of CP good wagons but no coaches yet. I would like to get a full set of Series 2 CP coaches either Danff or Banff I have got both types of CN coaches and CN wagons, 4x F7 in Zebra stripes and a CN Switcher.

Hi Tony, over the years I have seen examples of the CP coaches, but always very expensive.

I concentrated on locos before the coaches.

I have the early non sun-roof bodied first editions of R155. Also managed to acquire the maroon version with the 3rd. Body. Once again bought that from Canada.

If you are interested in transcontinental locos, will start a new post tomorrow and upload some of my collection.

Regards

My birthday is coming up in a few days and someone asked me what I wanted, and if they could buy me a loco. I didn't want them to spend much, so I just chose the cheapest one I had on my wish list.

I wasn't expecting much from this loco (naively) and I'm completely blown away. This little loco is beautiful.

Would you guys run this, or keep it in the box?

forum_image_61e1d644de5e6.thumb.png.6118d048f90d7c7e7ea4709c780fab2d.png

forum_image_61e1d647503e0.thumb.png.d0a20217d9aafbe079931fb13c13e9c8.png

forum_image_61e1d64936156.thumb.png.d922f251de0c89c7d265e5dc28adc8cc.png

forum_image_61e1d64b64b00.thumb.png.4f0d29cf25b53319e5f97ce1da2546dd.png

Say for example you win the lottery, you buy a reasonable house, grounds, a decent garage, and 'reasonable' car ... then you get a collector's Ferrari - say a pristine, low mileage Ferrari 365GTB/4 Daytona coupe, one of my all-time favourites ...

Do you drive it - dry, good weather, of course, when relaxed, on weekends?

Do you leave it locked up in a garage, to open the door, every whim, look at it, perhaps take a few photos, then close the door again?

Call me reckless, but that car's made to be driven, so I would definitely drive it.

Likewise, that Peckett's a little gem, I agree, but personally, mine would be on the rails ...

Al.

They only made 2000 of the centenary version, which they class as a limited edition. But then I got thinking about the way Hornby do production runs and once a loco is out of stock, it rarely comes back in, so in a way, every Hornby loco is a limited edition collectible.

I’m glad you agree Al, I wasn’t planning to keep this as a shelf queen, but was curious as to how others treat limited editions. Can’t wait to see this thing shunting wagons around.

My latest acquisition is Clan Class Clan MacDonald but I have renamed it Clan MacLaren and renumbered it 72010. I am aware that 72010 is being built in reality and will be named Hengist but I'm happy to use the next number in the original series for an actual Clan. Does anyone know why they are using the name Hengist? - so far as I was aware he and his brother Horsa had no connection to Scotland, but I may be wrong.

forum_image_61e7f4ffcf489.thumb.png.5e5089f3b8f6716c46e558907a24139b.png

I've just received the Intercity 125 Last Goodbye train pack R3957 but have yet to open it for fear of disapointment with the paint quality I've seen via an online review.

I'm loathed to open it and then return it, thereby perhaps causing a problem for a respected retailer.

My most recent purchase that's currently running around my track is the beautiful Bachman Class 57 with DRS 'Cable Thieves, We're Watching You' livery.

Absolutely stunning.forum_image_61e9c1b5c77b0.png.339e8d305fba26623548548db5c452b2.png

My latest buy has just arrived.

A set of replica 3D printed canopies and chimney pot for the Triang R60 station building.

The seller does a number of replica 3D printed parts that are normally missing on old Triang stuff like fuel tanks and pilots for Transcontinental diesels both early and late versions.