Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

I have just received five R7305 MagLight packs for Mk3 coaches. Each pack contains a self-adhesive strip with ten (10) LED's pre-wired to the switch and battery holder - battery is separate. It is interesting to note that these and I assume those packs for the four/six-wheel coaches, are different to what comes factory installed in the four/six wheeled coaches. Should be very easy to fit - once the carriage body is removedopen_mouth

forum_image_63bae3a52667a.thumb.png.e5b543138d35067533b08e5b748bb38c.png

Hornby have improved their packaging in recent times, but they still do stuff like this, and it's such a waste. This is just inefficient. The DPD driver had to scan them all individually.

forum_image_63c14c3278672.thumb.png.b4762ba85ac5537f88f848c3188fee7f.png

forum_image_63c14c34bf0b1.png.a82ee2bfabaa4e888aa57086aaf573f1.png

When these were first added to the website and I pre-ordered them, I emailed Hornby to ask if they had working lights, and I was told that they did not. I got the Hornby 2023 catalogue today, and it turns out they do have working lights, so that's a nice bonus. I got the whole rake of nine LMS Stanier Coronation coaches. The bogies have pickups for the lights, so it's not the maglight system. Somewhat explains why they were so expensive.

forum_image_63c14c37ec659.png.adf22b768ce617fb1fa7445ba9cd15ca.png

forum_image_63c14c3a317a6.thumb.png.9bd4363a288b47e4c62b7807498ba6de.png

forum_image_63c14c3c81a65.thumb.png.88a7ac7afd9bbac028328061f2010a35.png

As posted above, I got the Coronation Scot coaches R40051 to R40056B. I was told by Hornby they didn’t have lighting, but they do, which is nice. I got a chance to try them today, and the design is odd to say the least.

Unlike the Maglight system which lights the coaches from the ceiling downwards, the Coronation Scot lights are the tables. As in, the surface of the table is the light, and it looks really strange.

I’ve never had Hornby coaches with built in lighting so I don’t know if this is just how they do it.

There is a short video on the RMweb at almost the very end of the 'LMS Coronation Coaches' thread in the Hornby section: this shows all but one of the coaches in the rake video'd having lighting higher in the vehicle - perhaps the odd one, following the kitchen cars, is like yours?

Hornby have improved their packaging in recent times, but they still do stuff like this, and it's such a waste. This is just inefficient. The DPD driver had to scan them all individually.

Wow Lee, I hope you weren't charged for each carton or were at least able to get individual freight charges refunded?

In this day and age surely Hornby can find a better organisation to handle their retail shipping. It almost beggars belief that any current-day distribution company is running software so archaic that it doesn't automatically identify the common delivery address and combine the items to one or two boxes.

HK.

One of the latest 'hot properties' on the new locomotive market is the new Dapol Class 59.

Yes, it has it's limitations - exhaust location for one, sprung doors which open less than 1cm another - but is said to run nearly as well as the Hattons Class 66 - one of the additions to the newly available model diesel market in the last 18 months - I have one, axlebox fiasco ignored, it's a superbly detailed and capable locomotive.

I found a 'National Power' 59 204 Vale of Glamorgan for a good price - expected in a couple of days' time - will report findings but I expect some pretty good things!

Al.

Just had the body off in a matter of seconds!! No 'grief' either - wonderful!!

Actually just used my nails without collateral damage anywhere - loco or I - and the fit's certainly secure enough.

Weight - no suitable balances in the building where I am, but others have reported 'heavy enough'. I would guess ~Bachmann Class 66 weight, or slightly more, but less than Hattons' 66.

Al.

Just had the body off in a matter of seconds!! No 'grief' either - wonderful!!

Actually just used my nails without collateral damage anywhere - loco or I - and the fit's certainly secure enough.

Weight - no suitable balances in the building where I am, but others have reported 'heavy enough'. I would guess ~Bachmann Class 66 weight, or slightly more, but less than Hattons' 66.

Al.

There have been videos of 'load tests' of the Dapol 59, indicating it doesn't quite weigh as much as the Hattons' 66, nor is it quite as able to haul REALLY silly loads as said locomotive is, but it gets very close.

I have had mine on the tracks last night, and she runs like a dream, not derailing once, and once 'gently' hauling 10 LMS carriages at half power for 30+ minutes, given a quick cooldown, little touch of oil on the bearings, I added another 5 with lights for good measure - no problem at all - DEFINITELY recommend it!!

FINALLY received my A/Scale TPE coach set - photo attached so may take a little while to appear - and they look superb.

Ordered perhaps 18-20 months ago, fully paid up 6 months ago, so all they had to do was arrive. Packaging was amazing!

Whilst checking my inbox I noticed that Rapido have done a Hunslet industrial locomotive - so I added that to my 'new acquisitions' - the blue NCB one as I've a load of coal wagons.

Looks an absolutely beautiful model - cab detail looks like it's raising the bar somewhat!

Al.forum_image_63d14b6124e5f.thumb.png.05c94b80eb2398e60a7a2e80e870e141.png

This is (I believe) my first post in this thread. Apparently not!

However today I have received a model of a piece of rolling stock that I would never have heard about without model railway fora. Therefore it felt only fair to post about it here.

The model is of a BR Diesel Brake Tender (a Hornby Magazine exclusive commission). (Some basic info on the real thing:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/brake_tender

In my opinion it is a delightful model of a curious piece of railway history that has apparently been overlooked by the major RTR producers.

I obviously don’t wish to breach any forum rules so will simply state that they are only available direct from the magazine’s publishers.

(Beware ridiculous prices eBay sellers are asking - in the hope that people can’t locate the genuine seller).

I have no connection with any company - am merely a delighted owner.