Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

I recently bought a Hornby Class 08 and a Bachmann Class 20, both from the early 2000s and both DCC fitted. Both were at a very reasonable, (to me) price and both very tidy models, though I haven't yet received the 20, just going on the pics and description. They are actually outside my modelling era but they are so iconic that I just had to have them.
Hattons Trunk service will have me bankrupt. disappointed_relieved

ditto on the class 08 - I got the R2425 BR 0 6 0 class 08 Saint Rollox No 08568; thought i'd got a bargain until I opened her up and found shes yet another mazac victim. We really need to be careful with anything in the 2000-2005 region don't we!

She was wired as DCC but I took that away; filed down some of the expansion and she was able to run for a couple of hours - but what I hadn't spotted was the worm hadn't clearly been flush with the gear as its worn the gear at the top - so it's going to be in the workshop a while :(

My only positive feeling is at least it was to a charity that I paid the money to.

Contacted hornby for replacement S4581 chassis and Matt says there are none... so that kinda limits my options.

Bad luck there. Mine is a R2417, so similar vintage. I haven't had the lid off yet but it runs and sounds good on a battery test. I said in my earlier post that both it and the class 20 were DCC fitted but on checking my order it was only the 20 that is DCC fitted, the Class 08 is DCC ready. That's OK though as I will be fitting a TXS anyway. Just hope I don't get any nasty shocks when I take the body off.

Couldn't resist a bit of nostalgia from a local buy/sell collectors shop. Takes me back a few years, although my first memories were Triang-Hornby wink. They had quite a lot of boxed items, maybe from old stock never sold as they do not appear to have been used, or else very well cared for?! Best part, says Made in England on it all grinning

forum_image_647a0814c06c9.thumb.png.8d906a2cd7100bffdda98dfe994537f3.png

forum_image_647a0818dfec3.thumb.png.a377345e6ed9f1f1412bdcb5f5bc508f.png

Bad luck there. Mine is a R2417, so similar vintage. I haven't had the lid off yet but it runs and sounds good on a battery test. I said in my earlier post that both it and the class 20 were DCC fitted but on checking my order it was only the 20 that is DCC fitted, the Class 08 is DCC ready. That's OK though as I will be fitting a TXS anyway. Just hope I don't get any nasty shocks when I take the body off.

I have R2438 (D3986) which must be of a similar vintage. It had been fitted with a Hornby R8215 decoder, which I have now replaced with a TXS 8pin and speaker. It sounds fantastic, and even when fitted with the old decoder, the slow running (creep) is amazing. At the moment it is my main test loco for TXS, and it has been running on the branchline, to which I have fitted a DCC Concepts ABC Shuttle Module, with some assistance from RAF96 on adjusting CV's, it is working perfectly, shuttling back and forth.

Yes, I think so too, Al. The one I have, (am getting) is the 32-027, which I think represents the original D8000 and has oval buffers. The others I've seen all have round buffers. Unfortunately one of the buffers is missing and Bachmann only supply the round ones. However, I have ordered a set of Hornby Class 31s which, reading around appear to be a decent replacement. So fingers crossed.

Just an update: I have now added a Class 31 buffer to the Class 20 and it is a perfect replacement. The 31 was silver but a spot of black acrylic soon fixed that.

I have R2438 (D3986) which must be of a similar vintage. It had been fitted with a Hornby R8215 decoder, which I have now replaced with a TXS 8pin and speaker. It sounds fantastic, and even when fitted with the old decoder, the slow running (creep) is amazing. At the moment it is my main test loco for TXS, and it has been running on the branchline, to which I have fitted a DCC Concepts ABC Shuttle Module, with some assistance from RAF96 on adjusting CV's, it is working perfectly, shuttling back and forth.

A year or two later I think, but pretty much the same. I have now taken the body off mine and discovered it is actually DCC fitted. Don't know if it's fitted with an R8215 or the earlier one, (can't remember the code). I couldn't read its address, so maybe the earlier one. As I said previously, I'm not really bothered as I will be fitting it with a TXS anyway. It has a red spot on one of the chips which I seem to recall is an indication of one or the other. Did you fit the stay-alive, BB? from what you say, it doesn't sound like it's necessary.

No I didn't fit the stay alive - I think it would have to go inside the cab. Perhaps I am lucky, but I soldered every single piece of track to the bus cable via droppers, and my Peco electrofrog points have had the minor wiring modification that means all rails are live. As I said, this loco creeps along at an unbelievably slow pace.

The TXS 8pin wrapped in Kapton tape sits on top of the motor - I did not remove it, but moved the capacitor to one side, and the speaker, fitted to the smallest speaker box, sat in front of the motor/behind the radiator with a dab of blacktac. It is a tight fit, but the body went back.

£50 find on eBay I’ll given it a new coat of paint and switch the tender to a Bachmann one to reduce dead weight and allow it to pull more wagons. Runs beautifully and will be converting a line on the layout to allow it to run on DC.

waited a Austin 7 for 40 years.. finally. forum_image_647b155d2706e.thumb.png.a1a84eae7b72f833dbebecee48ce4543.png

@ Brew Man - you need not be too concerned: your 08 R2417 is the super-detail version so, although of similar vintage, it has a totally different chassis to the generic 0-6-0 chassis used on Ande P's loco R2425.

Very good to hear that. Thanks, GS. Once I'd opened it up I could see what good condition it is in.

Yes I can see it would be a tight squeeze. I guess because it has a 5 pole motor the creep performance would be good. Just need the Android App now to realise its full potential sunglasses

You will not have long to wait!!thinking_face

I've recently acquired a couple of locos:

1. A Hornby class D49 4-4-0 Berkeley, unboxed but in almost mint condition. The thing that strikes me about this loco is the massive tender which is about 3/4 the length of the short wheelbase loco.
  2. A Mainline class J72 0-6-0 with North Eastern markings, unboxed but also in very good condition. Very heavy for its size.

Apologies if this posts up twice but I got a 505 error earlier….

Just got this loco, I’d been after one of a decent build quality and a decent price for quite some time. When I eventually get round to it it’ll receive an industrial livery, possible NCB but I might go for something a bit more extravagant. I have only been able to find one colour picture of one of the locos just before preservation so would have to go off that.

Come to think of it, Hornby could make an RTR model of this loco, available in Taff Vale, GWR, Great Western and Industrial livieries, they were also used over the ‘main lines’ when in Private ownership.

The actual model is a Will kit on a Dublo R1 chassis with Romford wheels fitted. One of the wheels was wonky but all fixed now, a great runner.

forum_image_647e2b1583266.thumb.png.4dfd6d6ae2cf0923ada1fa55bea7bf8e.png

Just finished a quick checkup of the Hornby D49 "Berkeley" I mentioned earlier. Put it on my test track to check the tractive effort and found that this old loco can produce 1 Newton at 8.5 V and 450 mA current draw. Higher current than more modern locos but not bad tractive effort for an old-timer. I didn't even check the state of the traction tyres.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this West Coast Railways class 37 up on Ebay, it is the exact engine that took up the rear on my recent trip from Cleethorpes to Morpeth. The intention is to recreate the train, I expected to need to renumber/rename everything so it was a nice surprise to find this one with the correct number.forum_image_648ef742d8807.thumb.png.47b31575df5c309d6f2b24728d7322c0.png

Very nice.

Plenty of Black 5's still around and in very 'rude health' - there were 842 made, so I suppose it makes sense!

Just ordered a Class 66 Evening Star from a certain Irish group of enthusiasts - should be superb - it is based on the 'superb but flawed' Hattons' H66 after all.

Al.

Brought in past three weeks. Add to my collection.

Task force action train set complete and unused date 1982.

Lord westwood freight large train set included system 6 tracks date 1974.

Large number of Dublo 2-rails mint and unused boxed with rings Rolling stocks.