First photos of Hornby Duke of Gloucester

poliss

I'm trying to reserve my judgement on the design clever approach, but I must say for my preferences I'm not very impressed. I applaud the effort to make the models more affordable and I'm sure for many this will be great, but I'd rather buy less and maintain

detail levels than lose the details in favour of lower cost. I've heard that somewhere there were assurances from someone that the handrails on DoG would be wire, but clearly these on this are not. I'm not interested in buying DoG, but I did pre-order Cock

of the North. I'll wait to see pictures of the final model, but I may end up cancelling that based on what I see here.

JohnnyGee said:

I'm rather disappointed, the detail on the body looks to be no better than an old Margate Britannia.

They had an early model painted a sort of mid green with no other markings at the Ally Pally show.
The detail

looked very good and remember it was just an early test sample. I think it is going to be an excellent model.

Clicking on the photos enlarges them and I think it looks very good. The handrails look fine to me. The only thing wrong with the photos is that the tender is not attached to the loco and the front steps are not fitted. On the whole it looks a good model.

The Stanier 8F is certainly a class 8, as are the Kings, Merchant Navys etc but non of them were included in the Standard range. From a practical point of view the 8Fs certainly were a standard class, even more so than than the Black 5s.

walkingthedog

said:

GeoFF03 said:

"** Were there any more Std 8 locos or just one?"

DoG was the sole example of this class.

I suppose the Stanier 8F 2-8-0 is a class 8.

From the Hornby Facebook page.

"Please note this model is hand built/ hand decorated pre-production model and not at it's final stage

On this model (Special Edition) the following will be provided in a separate bag:

Etched Name Plates

Vac Pipes

Front

Steps

Chain Guard

Drain Cocks

Cab Door

Brake Rods

Tender Brake Rods

Separate Hand Rails for Smoke Deflectors (the model shown does not show these)"

poliss said:

From the Hornby Facebook page.
"Please note this model is hand built/ hand decorated pre-production model and not at it's final stage
On this model (Special Edition) the following will be provided in a separate bag:
Etched

Name Plates
Vac Pipes
Front Steps
Chain Guard
Drain Cocks
Cab Door
Brake Rods
Tender Brake Rods
Separate Hand Rails for Smoke Deflectors (the model shown does not show these)"

Will this be Hornby's first loco in semi-kit

form?

I've often thought the best way to avoid the fuss about "fally off bits" is just to supply them separately. Helj@n seem to do this; the locos out the box are pretty bare, but all the detail can be added easily yourself.

I suppose some people will

just complain about that too though.

Archived