TTS Sound engines released

Augustus Caesar

Some of you will have noted from emails that Hornby have released a TTS sound engine today (or whenever - as I have just come across this) and as I have other priorities for loco's and my layout I was wondering, who of you, is going to buy the 'Duke of Gloucester' and test and report its worth on here first?

Telling us all what the sound is actually like and how it compares to fitted loco's and is the price justified?

I'm curious more than anything at this point in time so any info would be helpful for the future... thanks guys! :-)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Click on the DoG in the newsletter then scroll down the web page and you can download the pdf manual and also see a video of the thing in action.

For the money and with no other sound locos to compare it with it sounds very good to me, even though the chuff maybe a tad out of synch at low speed. At high speed who could tell.

Or you could spend 40 quid and get a sound module that you have to drive your train to match the recorded sound. I know which one I prefer.

TTS sound quality and range of effects is definitely good enough for my old ears. Well fdone Hornby.

I would be happy with a generic steam and diesel retro-fit TTS at that price, even if it was limited in scope and not re-blowable.

A background channel and 16 sounds on the other channel is enough for me.

Even better would be a list of locos that could be selectively blown onto a TTS decoder to order when bought on-line from Hornby.

Having listend to the video I have to agree that the sound quality is not as good as a loksound chip I have but as everything else in life you get what you pay for. My other Hornby train cost £225 so I would not hesitate buying at this price to be able to enjoy sound.

Well, I must admit, as a sound only loco runner nowadays, I was pretty impressed. I thought it was going to be limited to just a few sounds but no, there are plenty to satisfy me, plus lighting and auxiliary possibilities. I watched the video and, having a 5.1 surround sound system attached to my PC, it all seemed very promising indeed. At that price I might buy two of them, although, on second thoughts, the real thing was a one-off, wasn't it? Sound is difficult to judge in different accoustic settings and at different volumes, the latter of which, as a great plus, you can apparently control individually with this loco.

Well, I took a look at the video of this as suggested and was impressed I must say. The sync issue may just be the video itself so I'm not over concerned at that.

The slamming doors worried me though... sounded a tad odd. And the sound of bacon frying for the fireman's breakfast... well, I'm hungry now!!!!!!!!!!

One last thing... when cruising at full speed or whatever it looked as if the loco was about to do a 'Back to the Future' jobby!!! Marvellous!

I'm gonna wait primarily for the Class 47 to see how that goes so I am being very patient guys... honestly! :-)

So far though I thank you for your imput and valued information.... cheers :-)

TTS promises to really shake the market up, until now DCC sound has been eliteist, limited to those with deep pockets.  If Hornby release the TTS decoders around the £25-£40 mark everyone will be able to have DCC sound fitted locos.  As for sound quality, some of the expensive decoders don't sound as good and of the sounds recorded onto them don't sound like the real thing at all.  From what I've seen and heard of TTS it's probably the biggest breakthrough in DCC for many a year. 

Cronan, not NMRA certified I wouldn't think, but quite likely NMRA compliant from the specification info released on them. Consequently, you are almost certain to find they don't just work with Select, Elite and RM, but with other brands of controller too. 

And note with Select that, while they will work, you won't be able to access all of the sounds due to Select's 10 function limitation, and you also won't be able to do any of the more advanced speed curve programming. Select users who buy these are likely to find they need to upgrade sooner rather than later. Although some will also decide that ditching the 4 least used sounds works for them without upgrade. Hornby advice on the best way to configure for Select would be useful here. 

Just so happens I've got the select I might upgrade next year either e-link or elite or if I win the lottery maybe the z21 lol. Ditching the least used sounds is a good idea I wonder if you can change the default sounds to different function numbers on the select.

Don't think you can Cronan and you also have the problem of not being able to switch the background channel from chuff to idle I think.  You may be able to get someone with an Elite or other to do it for you though, maybe your local model shop?

But that is why I suggested Hornby might like to give some advice to Select users. 

I visited my local shop today, and they had their last DoG TTS on their layout, having sold their stock almost immediately - even this demonstrator had been claimed and was awaiting collection.

Having had the oportunity to see and hear this new development in the flesh as it were, I defintately think Hornby have a winner here and personally can't wait for further releases of the TTS sound chip rolling stock. Steam isn't really my thing but the DoG sounds great to my untrained ear - the cooked breakfast a nice touch!  

Having recently spend a lot of money on sound for one of my DMU's, I'm hooked on sound and hope the TTS sound will be something that can be bought as a standalone product to add to my stock. 

Great product Hornby, this is a brilliant development and the price is tremendous. What is there not to love about this! 

Archived