What's on your workbench?

81F

Sort of model railway related.  Myself and a friend built a show jumping timer with infra-red starting and finishing gates in our younger years at weekends. I am revisiting the design with the aim of using it as a circuit timer for the layout.  Today I had a little time so tested the display 7 segment LED's.

/media/tinymce_upload/a0d92ac1326b0742fc7ee23b68a44032.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/131f40b0f75fffa284e0a96b10993037.jpg

Decided to fit the TTS decoder to my Railroad ‘Tornado’ so stripped bodies off the loco and tender.  Found that there was a location for the speaker under the weights in the tender, lovely.  Test-run the fitting, speaker was a reasonable fit, but the leads to the decoder were far too short!  Only reached as far as the connecting bar ‘tween tender and loco.  Looking at the loco, I have decided to find a small round speaker to fit in the space in the smoke box.  So, reassembled the two, and packed the decoder away until I source the speaker.  Frustrating, eh?

Decided that as I was stuck indoors due to the snow, I would repair an old airfix Royal Scot whose tender motor was on it's last legs. Spares are almost impossible to find. I obtained a new hornby 5 pole class 5 ringfield tender from the well known auction site and adapted it to run with the loco. Some rewiring and the fitting of a decoder has resulted in a smooth and powerful runner. A pleasure to save a loco from the scrapheap.

Just repaired a Playcraft D6100 diesel that I had bought as a totally dead non runner to strip for spares as it had the early Lanal Tri-ang type couplings and all my Playcraft stock has the Dublo type. When I tested the motor it worked perfectly so I stripped the chassis down and cleaned every contact and wheel, 15 mins later it was working as well as when it was new. Not bad for something from the early 60s with the original motor! I doubt we'll be saying that about the current Hornby motors in 55 years. 

For those who don't know these locos were HO and had a large can motor in the body which drove to all axles through brass gears but pick up was only from one bogie. They had a moulded plastic body and Playcraft had gone to the trouble of (incorrectly) moulding different grille styles on each side. One side had the original style while the other had the later modified type. This was available in BR Green or Blue. 

Later versions had the original brass gearing replaced by plastic and even later versions had drive to just one bogie using Jouef's X04 type motor, although the motors are fine, this version is usually a very poor performer as the pick up arrangement was not great And requires constant cleaning.

It was re-introduced by Jouef with changes to the body moulding to have all the original printed BR logos and numbers replaced by raised detail. Drive was now using a single axle and the running of this version is usually atrocious. 

This body was also used in a 4 wheel clockwork version. 

There is a lot of suggestion which is probably true that they forced Tri-ang and Hornby to produce cheaper starter sets as Playcraft produced extremely cheap sets which were available in the high street in stores such as Woolworths. Just imagine if they had produced the models in 00, the history of UK model railways may have been totally different!

• 2 weeks later...

Another go at fitting sound in my Railroad ‘Tornado’ (without frying the new decoder!). Resorted to cutting the speaker cables midway, and then inserting the requisite length of new wire to allow me to fit the speaker in the tender.  No soldering, said I, after the last debacle, so I taped the joints together and ran the loco - blimey, it worked, phew.  So, refitted the bodies on the loco and tender, retested it, still working!  Will ensure I buy sound-fitted locos now.

Rod

@RAF96

The mind boggles as what your excess baggage charge might have been.....    😉

All carried in hand luggage by the prestigous Ryanair.

I have had some interesting conversations with the security check people as the contents of my bag was tipped out for inspection. They showed me the x-Ray screen once and my comment was - Yes I would definitely want to see what all that lot is - tangle of wires, various electronic items, locos, decoders, rolling road, etc.

Rob

You can certainly see some 'interesting' items on the x-ray screen. The hand baggage shows up well, with the advantage of having the owner on hand. The suitcases, and larger items can show up interesting 'bits 'n' pieces' as well.

Perhaps not to be mentioned in mixed company!!               😆

This is sitting on my bench asking for some progress..

/media/tinymce_upload/b43609591ceedcef01f330360fc5b65b.png

The motor/gearbox and the larger separate motor are both from a pound shop r/c stunt car and the smaller motor is a mobile phone rattler device, but I’m struggling to get the cam weight off without damaging the motor.

The not to scale background illustration is a typical OO gauge chassis for railed vehicles.

May have to stay DC as I can’t see me being able to get a decoder in there, even if it was placed in a trailer.

Rob

Making a start on a Dapol Deltic kit by matching it to a spare Hornby Class 40 chassis.

As you can see the basic overall body size will fit the chassis OK for length, width and height, but the CL 40 bogies are a bit too long and the bogie pivot centres are a little bit out from the Deltic centres. I may have to live with that if the bogies will swing inside the valances, else its a search for clip in bogies to suit.

Why didn't I start with a Deltic or CL 55 chassis - easy - I didn't have one but I did have a couple of others to choose from and the CL 40 is the closest.

/media/tinymce_upload/d8f24c47efb36b8c74d7fc3477fbfe12.JPG

Rob

/media/tinymce_upload/bcd3b25cf9fe0f652e60a0ee4d96773a.JPG

Hi all

Does this count the first frame of three for a new model railway it is essentially complete just needs joining plates and adjustable feet.

Before track bed is fitted this layout will be open frame construction so the only solid top will be for track and any large area like yards

and possibly towns depending on how flat and level they are.

This allows scenery to go above and below track height with ease

regards John

Maroon LMS JInty just leaving the workbench. I have given up on it. A slight wobble that couldn't be located, (which I could live with), and a very noisy motor when running in reverse, (which I cannot live with). Gear/worm seated correctly, pickups well adjusted, brush spring tension acceptable etc. Well it was only ten quid........so I may keep it for s & s. The body is good, if slightly faded.

Ok so I brought the Jinty back to the workbench. and fixed the noise. There seemed to be excessive play in the armature spindle so I pushed the worm gear and heard a click. Nothing was broken or split and this reduced the amount of play. Also, the biggest contributer to the noise was a carbon brush. It still had planty of meat left on it but was very 'round'. A replacement stopped the noise and the loco runs very well now. Still got the stupid wobble though. One of the wheels is either not seated squarely on it's axel or the axel irself is bent. I can see lateral wobble when running the loco upside down. All the axels are seated and fixed correctly...... the wheel is solid metal not plastic sooooo...I don't know!

I assume the wobble is on the insulated side Jeff? If it is, it may well be the wheel bush will need replacing. Also worth a look is the holes in the chassis the axles pass through. These tend to wear over the years if not lubricated and can cause issues. I bought a Tri-ang-Hornby jinty some years ago where there was 1.7mm play in the axle holes due to excessive wear, a good s/h replacement chassis block fixed the problem, the owner had never lubricated the loco since new.

SoT,  the axels seem to have metal 'ring' bushes which locate, (by pushing), into special notches in the chassis. I don't think the wheel is lose as such but as you suggest it looks like it could be the plastic bushing. When I first got the loco it was awash with oil. Took ages to clean it all away....... the more I cleaned, the more would appear. I think the seller must have been trying to eradicate the rough sound and like I said, it turned out to be a brush! Thank you for your help. When is the new venture starting and will it have a website?