What's on your workbench?

81F

/media/tinymce_upload/cff90ac3b64d0654aabc989d3ff6ebfa.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/00f58c4a13c7f8644de4493ec3a44407.JPG As mentioned elsewhere I am trying to build theCollet 8 wheeled tender. My third test print is almost there just need to do a few tweaks before I can re print. The photo above shows it posed behinf one of my Hornby/Dapol castles with an old Hornby Tender body fitted on it temporarily and a close up.

My final choice of prototype will depend on which plates I can get for it.

@wtd

All I know was that it was built as an experiment. I would guess that it might be something to do with distributing the weight differently as I understand the coal and water capacities were the same. I remember seing a photo of it in my late teens and thought I must have one to go behing my Triang Hornby Hall.

My attempt to conbvert the triang tender only ended in tears with my Hall eventually ending up with a Mainline 3500gal tender!

More recently and as I happend to have some spare tender chassis I had thought of doing a cut and shut using two chassis only to find there was so many differences I thought I'd 3D print the frames and use the wheel, but even then I was thwarted as the six wheeled tenders use 4 foot something wheels while this one uses 3'8.

@PP

Thanks for the compliment, I'll probably put it behind a castlke. I've got a couple of duplicates so this will add something a little different.

a quick update, 1st photo shows a flanged nut which acts as a stabiliser to stop the rocking motion, 2nd photo after first visit to the paint shop, 3rd photo is the central bogie and i have decided to have them fixed rather than a drop in fit, 4th photo shows the wheels and axle converted to a live axle with a little bit of solder,

/media/tinymce_upload/eda5b497d193861e13ecfe73c6cbf6c2.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/f741e6b32eae560e349f3a937bca7ea9.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/5622051f28b4948f01a9aaeaa82551b8.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/6837228f6ccaf3025de615ad1f747153.JPG

@dynax

Had you thought about employing MJT carriage compensation units?

Hi Caiptean, I have looked at them, but for me it's not worth it, the ones i'm doing are only a rough copy and not meant to be an exact replica, not only that i'm having more fun doing my own bit of engineering than getting stuff off the shelf, thanks for the link though it may help someone else,

been experimenting with fibre optics for the table lamps, not quite finished them, but here is where i am upto cheers,

/media/tinymce_upload/9d2660d9ddb60d3e613a2438572eb6dd.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/e11c8b269d1229383f03976e1574e5db.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/f9fa779188eec719a802d040a7048d56.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/e6972ed18d9d75f5a140b93caa39bee1.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/06948752ab18bc59317c494ce311c8a8.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

More the whole workbench. I decided I'd make a lightweight, transportable TMD that I can run programs on with Railmaster and sit back and watch! So far so good... A couple of slabs of insulation foam, holes through it sleeved for the droppers, etc, to protect the foam from wire insulation. Electrofrogs, modified Hornby turntable, all ballasted and painted. Now making a modern shed, and different buildings/features for different periods...before getting to grips with all the minutae and detail work. Pattern maker dowels set into foam to make to locate the 2 pieces. Minus all the scenery, each board can be carried in one hand!

/media/tinymce_upload/ca596c441cb4b4b23a780fa56c72c69c.jpg

Not exactly the workbench, more the kitchen table, but I've just fitted an A3 TTS sound decoder to my B17 Barnsley.  Apart from having to add insulating tape to the speaker terminals (they were shorting out against the metal tender weight - it was very straightforward.  I've no idea if it sounds like the real thing since I'm too young to have ever heard a B17, but as they were 3 cylinder locos designed by Gresley I guess they might sound quite similar to an A3.  Anyway, I'm not too bothered - the sound is just a bit of fun and adds an extra dimension.  I might even post a youtube video later.

There are some tiny smd leds on my bench - somewhere - when they ping out of the tweezers they are gone forever. Just as well I have a long roll of them. Soldering fine wires to them is going to be fun. The resistors are slightly bigger just large enough to bridge the gap in veroboard. I must invent a sticky pickup tool for these things.

Rob

Not railway at all - at the flying club this afternoon I was 'given' a toy contra-rotating helicopter to see if I can mend it. One of the rotors doesn't, so it won't fly. At first glance the drive gear has fallen off, but I'll have to strip it down to find out.

Latching reed switches.  Thanks to Chrissaf's advice I have now tested these on a rig and found they are excellent for switching on LED lighting for coaches etc. I have made a small "magic wand" from a neodymium magnet attached to an ice-lolly stick and proved that a close wave works even with a sheet of plastic between the magnet and the switch. So it will obviously work through a coach roof. Turning the "wand" over reverses the process.

The big advantages of using these switches are:  1. No drilling of the coach floor needed

2. No need to lift the coach from the track to access a switch

I hope this info may be useful to those unfamiliar (as I was 😛 ) with latching reed switches.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I just fixed my Hornby Triang Class 37 diesel (the one I made my first post about when I joined!). Runs lovely now I've replaced the old brushes.

Next up on the fix list is the older style Hornby Harry Potter Hogwarts Express and a Hornby Intercity 125 in swallow livery. It's just finding the time to fix/service them.

After quite a long break from railway modelling, I've started on the long list of plans I have for the summer. I've nailed down the 'chimney loop' and will soon add reed switches ect to avoid short circuits. The long term plan for this part of the layout is to build a mountain around the chimney block and have a small OO9 spiral. Pics to come.

I'm also really proud because we've finally managed to get the curved platform to fit properly with the track using Hornby standard track pieces only. This should've been an easy enough task, however the loop is a mixture of 2nd and 3rd radius curves (because of the points going off to make a triangle). So going clockwise from the straight, I have R8073 right hand point, R609 3rd rad curve, R609, R610 mini straight, R607 2nd rad curve, R607. The right hand spur leads to the bay platform going on the other side of the platform to the outer loop. This is made up of R610, R609, R606 single 2nd rad curve, R605 1st rad curve, R605. This fits large bogie coaches on each side (with a rather unrealistic "mind the gap" gap).