Purchasing Rivarossi HR2638 Big Boy.

roythegrass

I’m considering buying the Rivarossi HR2638 ‘Big Boy’. (DCC and sound.)

I have a Hornby Select DCC layout and various sellers say to run only on third or fourth radius albeit slowly – my oval is third radius. Would the Hornby Select controller be OK?   It doesn’t appear to be offered in the UK so can only be bought in the US/Canada or Europe. Having looked at numerous US sellers they are the cheapest but the shipping and import duties are high.  In Germany the price is higher but the shipping is much less and there are no import charges. So on balance the price works out much the same – approx £360 all in.

I’ve seen the odd model on UK websites but they’re always used and analog and sell for about £200+p&p so by the time it’s upgraded to DCC/sound one’s no better off, and of course it’s second hand. Also it appears that the latest model has had several improvements.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Roy

PS I can’t get links to work so the ebay item numbers are 252316335916  US  and 191828004198 Germany

Hi, there is at least one guy on here, who has one. There are one or two snags. Firstly, repairs/ warranty, when buying from USA., dont apply, you are kinda on your own. I buy regularly from ebay america, and Tillig Track from Ebay germany. With germany, your warranty would be ok.   Bachmann USA, wont  cover europe. If you need it to go back for spares/ repair, it would be costly.  Having said all that, i am also on the lookout for the same thing, but do have a son, living in the states, who would buy on my behalf.  I am also dubios of your select having the function capability.  They do come up on ebay, uk, but if you are intent on going ahead, i would contact Hornby, America, after all, they are the parent company, and may be able to source one and discuss warranty. Why not email  manufacturer, the worst they can say, is no. john

Select firmware was updated by Hornby last year to handle more functions so it can be used successfully with sound locos with more than 8 functions, the previous function limit.  The update can only be done by Hornby by returning it and costs £15.  The firmware is version 1.5.

Select firmware was updated by Hornby last year to handle more functions so it can be used successfully with sound locos with more than 8 functions, the previous function limit.  The update can only be done by Hornby by returning it and costs £15.  The firmware is version 1.5.

How do I check what firmware is on my Select controller? The DCC set was the Venice Simplon Orient Express which was brand new but I believe could be old display stock.

Thanks

Roy

Thanks Rog. Would you suggest I ask Hornby to update to version 1.5 if this is more suited to running this loco?

On the question of buying from the US I decided to buy from Germany. If one reads the small -very small-print of US carriers their insurance cover is inadiquate for the product value and to take out extra cover is prohibitely expensive.

Roy

@RTG

v1.5 will give you access to all 29 functions (F0-F28 inclusive), but it also changes the way you 'do' things with the buttons.

I would download the current manual for it from here and have a read to see how operation has changed compared to your version. Note there are v1.4 and v1.5 so pick the latest one.

Update.

‘Big Boy’ now up and running. Ordered from Germany and only took four days to be delivered! Yes it was expensive but what a magnificent loco – the sounds are truly amazing.  Fortunately I had extended the straights on the layout as positioning this engine and tender on a curve would be very tricky. She ran fine on third radius but with points next to a level crossing when crossing to second radius the tender hit the crossing gate posts, also the tender side steps brush the track power clip.  Admittedly this loco looks out of place on my 1950s English countryside themed layout but the sight and sound of this loco makes it worthwhile. I’ll now have to start saving for a several American freight wagons.

Archived