Wow... love all the new cars for 2018

roy_fitzsimmonds

Yes, anything pre 1990 woald do like -gosh- an mgb

Especially if it's an R107, Mercedes-Benz SL Class!  😆

I'm with you on the idea of the Mercedes, but my point was that Airfix could perhaps initially exploit some kind of 'usp' and an obvious one could be 'British subjects'. Assuming that idea got buy in, perhaps step two would be to do a review of who else has done a reasonably recent good quality kit already, because it seems to my simple brain that if someone has already produced a frankly brilliant kit - such as the Tamiya Austin/Morris Mini Cooper - then why spend the money tooling up the same model, unless you can add something worthwhile. My pet favourite the MGB has been modelled in kit form by Aoshima, and they tell me they're thinking of bringing it back. Both Airfix and Revell have listed the MGB Roadster before, so even I have to admit that tooling up a new MGB kit perhaps doesn't make sense. But Airfix could look at extra sprue, maybe for specific variants - say a Le Mans MGB, Sebring MGB, maybe even an MGB GT. Then there is an FX4 taxi kit doing the rounds (Aoshima have licensed it for 2018) but if it is the kit I think it is, it is pretty horrible. How about the brand new electric London Taxi as a subject!? Then there are other subjects like the MGA, TR4/5/6, Morris Minor that nobody other than white metal kit makers have bothered with. Did Tamiya do the Lotus Seven? How about a 'Prisoner' special and a Caterham Seven too? Lotus Elan? Jaguar C/D/E Types (even if the Jaguar E Type has been done before, is the kit any good?). A Mini Traveller? Jaguar Mark II (including an Inspector Morse limited edition?). What do others think?

I didn't know that, because I've never seen this kit on eBay. And other retailers like Amazon or others say that the kit is not available at the moment. With about 60 euros for the kit it would be far to expensive for me. Perhaps also for others. Thanks for the info.

This discussion is running in circles since years. The same arguments again and again. Why don't we accept, that Airfix won't do cars? I have the Jaguar MK II from Tamiya, the XKSS from Revell, the Mercedes 450 SLC from Esci. What's wrong with these kits, that they are not from Airfix? I don't need an Airfix box, if I'm interested in a model.

I didn't know that, because I've never seen this kit on eBay. And other retailers like Amazon or others say that the kit is not available at the moment. With about 60 euros for the kit it would be far to expensive for me. Perhaps also for others. Thanks for the info.

This discussion is running in circles since years. The same arguments again and again. Why don't we accept, that Airfix won't do cars? I have the Jaguar MK II from Tamiya, the XKSS from Revell, the Mercedes 450 SLC from Esci. What's wrong with these kits, that they are not from Airfix? I don't need an Airfix box, if I'm interested in a model.

They are all impossible to get and everpriced by every second hand dealer ever.

This discussion is running in circles since years. The same arguments again and again. Why don't we accept, that Airfix won't do cars?

Pretty much my own view, but it won't stop others debating it. I think it's quite possible that Airfix will go back to doing vehicles (and other genres) when everyone's economic prospects are more favourable, but at the moment they are hanging tight with what they know is guaranteed turnover.  

@MG Writer

I completely understand what you mean by the 'British subjects', but however, my favourite cars are German cars. there have been some great British cars, like the MG MGB, to name one, as you mentioned. Despite this, German cars will always be my no. 1 favourite and the German car that tops all to me, is the R107 SL, from Mercedes.

Any car tooling needs to be added to the range though, as the choices are next to nothing! Whether it's a favourite of mine or not, more needs to be added. Come on Airfix / Hornby Hobbies! We know you are reading!  😆

GNR-Gordon-4

Lovely, did you do it ?

I wish! But it just goes to show what is possible - and with the best will in the world, 1:24 or larger whilst more expensive will nearly always give a better level of realism without recourse to lots of photo etched parts and special glazing. 

Just another suggestion for the Mini: police and fire fighters on a parade in Munich. 

/media/tinymce_upload/e8e63c33d04b8a0a127f6b16fc0bb282.jpg 

/media/tinymce_upload/a2002d7586234b85b716a02723846789.jpg

Yes, good idea - making more variants makes sense. Tam**a made Morris, Austin, racing and rallying versions of the classic Mini, sold as different kits. 

Archived