Free Club Locos

This is it, Jimbo......./media/tinymce_upload/664d64caad83d3e41f42147dcbe9c25b.jpg

As for offering an 0-6-0 for an additional charge, Hornby are not likely to enter into further admin and stock holding for such a low value model........HB

Personally, I'd sooner they provided something else, or dropped the loco and thus the price of membership.  There's only so many of thse you can use or need, some are not that authentic and the models are not greatly detailed.  One of their large competitors gives a special edition wagon instead, which I presonally much prefer.

That would be a good variation, TsoT. Every year, Hornby only provide it's members with one of the same three steam 0-4-0's, painted in a different livery. Although they are painter different, would be nice to get a different class of loco every now and then. It's very repetative.

GNR-Gordon-4

I don't think the number on the loco has anything to do with the year. The two models released when the Queen was eighty in 2006 was numbered 80, for her Diamond Jubilee in 2012 the loco was No.60.

As Sarah said, the 2002 (R2304) GWR (looking!) was numbered 101, and a similar loco in 2007 (R2665) was numbered 328.

The last club loco (with membership) was in 2014 - it was a BR Pug (R3292) and numbered 56011.

I recall a tank wagon was offered in the very early days of the free model, but as I recently threw all of my "The Collector" (from Edition One) Magazines away I cannot check. I do have a list of the free models from the year 2000. Many of the loco's are available on eBay for about the cost of your Club membership.

• 3 months later...

From the Summer 2018 (Issue 116) 'The Collector' Magazine...

Both the 'Club Exclusive' H Class and the Club 2018 GWR 101 Loco 'will now be arriving in January 2019. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.'

A very prototypical 'late running' announcement.

Our local station announcer couldn't have done it better!  😉

• 2 months later...

Looking at the number plate, 18 it seems that the next one will be number 19....

There was only the one , number 101, and that was mainly confined to Swindon works....

For me, wagons are more attractive....and can be re-painted easily (Sacrilage! 😉 ) if not to your liking....

I see no reason for next years loco to be numbered 19 - there has never been any pattern to loco's being numbered after the year they were introduced. The last loco like this years was in 2007 (R2665) and was numbered 328.

If you look on the forum Colin you will see that many received the loco a week or two ago. It's a lucky dip when the container ship arrives. I think Hornby are just as surprised as you with what arrives. Don’t know why they give dates any more. They should just say it will arrive eventually. 

I suppose the reason for extended estimated arrival dates, to cover their backs in case the product is late. Oblivously products get released later than the original estimated arrival date changes for a later one, but it wouldn't helpful when to expect a product if no estimated delivery is given. If ot arrives earlier than this than that's a postive, but if it arrives later, then that's a negative.

GNR-Gordon-4

It's more likely that Hornby have to order the Club loco in batches throughout the year as new Club Members join........so the batch that has recently been deliverd were for those members who signed up earlier this year.......recent club applicants will then get theirs in Jan 2019.......logical.?........ 😀.......HB

I don't think so, HB. Why would a batch of the 2018 locomotive be ordered for after 2019, if there are no 2018 locomtives left? If this happened and there no 2018 locomotives left in stock but they joined in 2018, then most likely they will get the 2019 locomotive, what ever this will be. I am sure we will find out in December or in the new year!  😉 😀

GNR-Gordon-4

I recall posting somewhere that Hornby had said they had 3000 Club loco's to send out. I very much doubt that there is a huge department dealing with this - probably a couple of people with a copy of the membership list - slowly wrapping parcels! So there is a very good chance the full quota arrived with Hornby at the same time, but then again they may arrive in batches. If you are a club member your loco will arrive at some time - as I have said before " no need to lose sleep over it".