Does the 1:32 Morris Marina tooling survive?

MG Writer

The list of what is NOT available is easier:

- none of the toys are available AFAIK, sorry for those who want a reissue of the FN-rifle

- all pre-1981 vacuform parts like bases for the outposts have been lost

- the ex-kitmaster and Airfix railway and trackside series are all with Dapol

- The Austin Mini is with M.R.R.C.

- In 2002 The Airfix Collector's Club magazine Constant Scale listed just four moulds actually missing: S.S.France / Aston Martin DB5 / SAM 2 "Guideline" / Infantry Combat Group, but it says nothing about the whereabouts of the moulds for the Ferguson Tractor, S.S.Southern Cross, teh Fireball XL5 and the Stingray. Thet are presumed not be with Airfix

- In the same issue three moulds were listed as "Worn beyond economical repair": Austin Maxi / Wellington B111 / B-17G Flying Fortress

- A number of kits have been altered, so cannot be released as they were originally delivered: DC-3 / Ford Capri / Ford Zodiac / Vauxhall Victor Estate / Lotus Cortina / Canberra. All these tools however exist in their altered state.

As I mentioned on another thread, the story (from Trevor Snowden no less) is that the Maxi, Marina and Bond Bug tools were left out in open storage during the move to France in the Palitoy era, and hence were rendered unusable.

That does look good. You didn't buy that kit then, MG Writer?

GNR-Gordon-4

Sadly no. I would like to hope that before too long the technology and costs of 3D scanning and printing might make it feasible for someone to make copies under license from good original sprues....

• 3 months later...

So the Custom versions of the Cortina , Victor , Zodiac and Capri exist still . Being a child of the 70s I have coveted these for years . Sadly My pocket money missed them first time and the rare occasions they hit E Bay they are ridiculous money . Even if I did stump up for one chances are I wouldn't have the heart to build it and devalue it . 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I believe that the answer was that someone left the tooling unprotected outside and it went rusty and presumably was scrapped. I wonder if the time will ever come that they could 3D scan an unmade kit and retool it from the base? Probably the answer may be no - there was a recent very interesting article about the way that Corgi classic models have been largely retooled from scratch because volumes and manufacturing techniques are much different today. Still….