Wishlists - 2020

Kenneth ONeill

I vote for more armour models, but please in 1/72nd! I would love to see...

British A-11 Infantry Tank "Matilda" I Matilda I (tank)

British A-10 Cruiser Tank Mk II Cruiser Mk II

British A-13 Cruiser Tank MkIVA Cruiser Mk IV

Italian M-11/39 Medium Tank Fiat M11/39

US M4 Sherman II in British Service at 'el Alamein'http://www.theshermantank.com/wp-content/uploads/British_8th_Army_M4_Sherman_Tanks_Lined_Up_on_Trailers_in_Western_Desert_1942.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

So now we have an excellent 1/72 RN Phantom and Buccaneer can we expect more 1970's FAA next year? Both the Phantom and Buccaneer box art have a Wessex lurking in the back ground on plane guard duties - so can we expect one soon?  Also how about a 1/72 Gannet AEW to complete the HMS Ark Royal / HMS Eagle air wing.  We can but hope.

Please can we have a 1/24 BF 110C/D,a new tool 1/48 Buccaneer,1/48 Fairey battle,new tool 1/72 Vulcan,1/72 Lincoln,1/24 ME 262 a1/a,1/48 Lancaster B1/B111(the Tamiya one is showing its age),new tool 1/72 Sunderland and stirling oh and hampden for good measure.Any chance of any of them?,no? Ah well worth a try.

I would like to see the 1/76 Bedford MK 4 Tonne truck and Tacticle Refueler make a welcome return.  Almost impossible to get hold of for a fair price.  They would make welcome additions to any 1970/80s AirField Diorama.  

How about 1/72 Avro Lincoln and Avro Manchester (full) kits. It's about time we had an injection moulded kit of these two classics and I can sell off my resin conversion kits then! Or some Fleet Air Arm 1930s stuff like Fairey IIID, Fairey Flycatcher, or some of those ugly Blackburn aircraft?

1/72 Manchester 1/72

1/72 Lincoln

1/72 B-32 Dominator

1/72 and/or 1/48 Barracuda

1/72 and/or 1/48 Hampden (New Tool)

1/72 B-24 (New Tool)

1/72 B-17E/F

1/72 B-26 short wing/tail/old tail gun positions (New Tool)

1/72 Stirling (New Tool)

1/72 Heyford

1/72 and/or 1/48 Hudson (New Tool)

1/72 and/or 1/48 Baltimore

1/72 and/or 1/48 Beaufort

1/48 Pucara

Injection molded Manchester and Lincoln are WAY overdue!

Upgraded and updated 54mm Napoleonic figures in 1/12 (150mm) or 1/15 (120mm) scale;

Upgraded 1/12 figures (Black Prince &c.);

1/24 Me 262, BAE Hawk, Tiger Moth, F4 Corsair (FAA & USN), Sea & Desert Hurricanes, GR9 Harrier, Lunar Module;

1/48 A-35 Lightning (FAA, RAF, RAAF, USAF &c.), Phantom, Wellington, Halifax and Lancaster (incl. LM130, 463 Squadron).

1/72nd Supermarine Scimitar. That is loooong overdue for Airfix.

1/72nd Hindustan Marut. A beautiful aircraft, and a model with many 'What if?' possibilities.

1/144th Blackburn Beverly

1/144th Bristol Brittania

1/144th Short C Class Flying Boat

OK. I am going to have a guess as to what might be appearing in the 2020 catalogue as it is only a few weeks until the big reveal.

Given that the Hellcat was the major release last year another 1/24 offering is very unlikely so I suspect 1/72 and 1/48 will be the scales of the year.

So, here goes.

In 1/72 we are about due another Battle of Britain aircraft since it is 2 years since the Wellington. My best guess here is a subject which these forums have been crying out for as the last significant Luftwaffe entry. If there is no Ju-88 in 2020 it can't be that far off.

2020 marks the 75th Anniversary of the end of WW2 so a significant subject from that year ought to be on the cards so I think there is a fair chance of seeing a new B-29 in 1/72. If you want a guess at liveries I would suggest 'Enola Gay', 'Bock's Car', a conventional bomber from the pacific theatre and maybe an RAF Washington.

When we consider 1/48 we see a steady stream of WW2 and Early Jet aircraft, more or less alternating. This year saw the Spit XIV and Tiger Moth (delayed till 2020) so I think it is the turn of the Jets. We have had a Meteor and a Hunter so the obvious gap filler would be either a Vampire or Venom. Both of these have options for RAF and Fleet Air Arm versions in keeping with the Sea Fury so must be good candidates, and the Vampire was certainly exported so I think has the edge over the later Venom. Though something more contemporary is a possibility (Harrier, Skyhawk maybe)

A fourth new tool is faily normal for a year and given the delays in the Tiger Moth I would edge towards another 1/72 offering. Either a small jet or something completely different like a V-Bomber Resupply set.

I have no inside information so this is pure speculation. I would be interested to see what others think.

What I would like to see is a 1/72 Macchi M202 Folgore (my son wants one to match with the Desert Air Force Tomahawk) and a 1/72 Canberra to accompany my V-Bombers along with the resupply set.

Clearly there are those who now consider the hobby is for middle aged gentlemen who can afford expensive 1/32 or 1/48. Ok but why not take a two pronged approach.

1.Anything big and WW2 German:  ie a FW Condor - possibly two variations - personnel aircraft for one of the leaders of the third Reich and the convoy spotter or a big scale Stuka. Looking at modelling sites there appear to be an awful lot of obsessive modellers who will buy anything German.

2. Personnally, I would like to see a few sets that have fewer pieces, 1/72, something different from the usual. As aircraft seem to be the important subject Airfix  look back at the Frog or Heller for ideas  .  A few French or Dutch  planes -Fokker XII. Lots of choices of decals and the Vichy French are very colourful.

Alternatively a new Fairy Battle (on 20 September 1939 over  Aachen credited a battle was credited  with the first confirmed kill by British aircraft in WW2) or a Skua (orginally thought to have the 1st confirmed kill .It suffers from 'armchair expects' who consider everything the British produced as rubbish) 

Ships -  scale up to 1/100 scale the current Mary Rose.

AFV - please NOT another tiger, panther etc  - why not a bren or scout carrier for 1940 France. Would not take much to convert the ancient universal carrier to these icon afv - and they are DIFFERERENT!.

I hope to bring the rather "underrated" figures to the attention:

Downscaling 1/32 sets (the figures' design is already there!)

Such as: Modern British Infantry / SAS (perhaps to be combined in 1 set due to the number of poses)

Modern German Infantry

Space Warriors?

Guards

Wouldn't a tourist in London like to buy a re-released Guards Band, Guards Colour Party (in red of course) or their civilian bystanders (or railway figures?). Maybe it is a bit like a niche but I bet souvenir shops would manage to sell this.

Modernized civilians, or historical ones?

All civilian figure sets Airfix used to market, look very outdated in their 50s-60s clothing, and no-one of the other manufacturers is releasing any modern looking civilians. There are lots of people if you look at them, who are holding mobile phones and I think it is really an interesting topic for that reason.

Or hooligans or demonstrators vs another set called riot police, which no-one has ever done before and which might speak to the imagination.

Most popular theme worth updating: American Civil War

American Civil War is the most wanted thing when I sell second hand sets from other brands. Even more than Waterloo. They are the armies of the masses, crowding the dioramas of modellers,and people keep buying them. It was the first that I ran out of when selling superfluous sets, it goes faster even than Waterloo or Ancient. I have the idea that Airfix is sticking much to the taste of babyboomers when they were still children, then WWII sold best, but what I notice is that this kind of public has grown, matured, and they are now far more interested in more historical themes, far before WWII. Airfix did only some now very obsolete ACW sets, and never really tried to blow new life into it by modernizing it, but the theme is the most popular among those who buy figures. Further marketing information: only a very tiny fraction that I sold was for children, and if it is for children it's only a handful of figures, like 1 or 2 sets. The adult, more historically oriented public buys greater quantities in one time and Airfix has always been one of the most affordable brands of figures. The baby boomers who are now in their 40s, 50s and 60s that's my buyers' public and their ideas have matured and are far richer than children who mainly bought WWII in the past.

The idea of producing 'tourist' models seems sensible. Indeeed Airfix hae already produced many in their large figures.

The large figures certainly are ancient - the senior/rover scout figure is a rave from the grave and there must be very few around who knows whata  senior scouts iwas. However, it would be good to see the odd one reappear (Black Prince  or Oliver Chromwell?). I am sure many have their favourite large figure.

One obvious choice would be to upscale the 13pdr  to 1/35 and make it accurate. Could produce it with 2/3 variations  - the King's troop as per 'trooping the colour' etc, late and early WW1 in action.

As for sets like modern German infantry and ACW  they are being produced by companies that specalise in figure production. 

However, one gets the impression that Airfix's market reseach indicates that big scale aircraft are the way forward.

One area that Airfix seems to have moved away from in recent years and that I sorely wish they would go back to, is single engine props in 1/72. 

Sure, there have been plenty of new heavies & jets recently, but it feels like, unless you're into 1/48, new single engines prop kits get overlooked. 

Two 1/72 kits that would benefit from new tooling that immediately spring to mind are:

- Hawker Tempest, both variants, mkv & type II

- Yak 9u

Keeping my hopes up!!