Wishlists - 2020

Kenneth ONeill

McDonnell Douglas / Boeing T-45 Goshawk; North American T-2 Buckeye; Airbus Military C-295; LTV A-7 Corsair II; Beechcraft C-45; Beechcraft C-12 Huron / Super King Air; Beechcraft Bonanza V-tail; Grumman HU-16 Albatross; Mitsubishi MU-2; ATR-72; a re-tooled Douglas A-26/B-26 Invader; Scottish Aviation Bulldog; Saab SF-340; Piper Cub; Cessna 172; Cessna Caravan; Cessna Skymaster/O-2; Saab 105; Fokker G.1; Fokker F VII 'Tri-motor'; Fokker 50; Hawker Siddeley 748Lockheed Martin F-35B; Lockheed Martin F-35C; DHC-2 Beaver; DHC-6 Twin Otter; Short Skyvan; Beechcraft Model 18; Piper Aztec; North American Bronco. All in scale 1/72

Building of small regional airports/-fields; airport accessories; airport personnel in scale 1/72.

BAe 146-200; Fokker 70 in scale 1/72 and/or 1/144. 

R-R Merlin in scale 1/48

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1/72nd I'd like to see:-

Gloster Sea Gladiator, 

Bristol Beaufort

Spitfire Vb/c

Spitfire IX

(by the way an open cockpit option for all the Spitfires would be very welcome, there's all that very fine detail in the Spitfire I and you can't see it without surgery)

re-release (or even new tool) the Fiat G 50

By the way the only model of a Macchi 200 in 1/72 is a very old Revell kit, just thinking that there is a gap in the market, think of a Malta theme.....Sea Gladiator, Spitfire V's, Hurricane IIa with Akbour filter, Bf 109 f4 etc.

Bristol Beaufighter I

Mosquito new tool (bomber version too please)

New tool Bf 109 g6

Bf 109 g10

Ju 88 nightfighter

New tool Fairey Battle

P 47 Thunderbolt

New tool Dauntless

what about Luftwaffe ground crew and vehicles similar to the RAF and USAF kits?

Some new First World War aircraft kits would also be nice.

The non aircraft related wish list;-

Re-release the 1/32 Crusader tank.

1/32 Multipose 8th Army and Afrika Korps

I fact all of the Multipose range!

As you asked...

I just love the large scale airplanes, and Airfix was the first (at least to me in my younger days few decades ago) that triggered this love - a superlarge Ju 87 Stuka in my local shop, impressively waiting at the top shelf - with an even more impressive price tag on it (beyond reach for an eight year old boy).

But it kept me yearning; in the meantime I bought several... and most of the other ones as well.

Yet, there might be some other planes looking fantastic at great scale:

I am crazy for a 1/24 Me 262 in whatever version, as the RAF now has a significant advantage here with the Typhoon and the Mosquito; another very interestiing thing would be a Boulton Paul Defiant in 1/24 (not really an Axis force plane, but a beauty anyway.

The Westland Lysander would also be a hefty piece of art (or work, I suppose). And the Vought F-4 U Corsair, the Hellcat would be great, a Wildcat, too-  and so on and so forth - you asked!

I am well aware of the costs for making the tools for a single one of these planes, and I am pretty sure that none of them will show up in the next couple of years or so - but it would be really, REALLY nice, you know?

And with these little motors for the props they do even better... so do not forget the motors. Please!

There's a 1:24 Hellcat in this years catalogue......so you can tick that one off!

I know... I just wanted to be right once (shame on me).

Nonetheless it was a great idea, and one of these grumpy cats will be definitely sold in Germany.

Besides: A CA13 Boomerang would be a delightful model as well; small and nifty, so you could concentrate on the details. Generally spoke, I think single engine planes are much easier to realize and to sell; the Mosquito was superb, but really a big bird for this scale.

Generally spoke, I think single engine planes are much easier to realize and sell.

Ah..... but just think how lovely a DH Comet Racer would be to 1:24.  I suppose there's no chance of that happening before the planet warms up!

Well... yes. That would be a neat treat for us hardcore fans.

And I had dreams about a Petlyakov Pe 2 or a Me 110 (after they made the Mossie, I thought: now everything is possible, even the supercrazy BV 141 in 1/24!). The major question behind this is: whom to sell these kits to. The Mossie is well-known throughout the world, and not only few modellers could be targeted; as with all the other 1/24 warbirds.

Here we go: war planes. Wide variety, drawing attention like almost nothing else. Imagine a Cessna or Piper of any kind in 1/24... who should buy this? Not me, that´s for sure.

Even with military planes, most of the other types are so very specialiced, that the prospects of salesrates might be too slim. I know, profits, profits, unfortunately that´s what the world is about today - if there is a different tomorrow... funny idea, but I don´t think so.

So, Hornby needs to make money. Okay. I am glad they came up with the F6, so there is progress, not to forget the Typhoons.

• 4 weeks later...

Love these guesstimations!

Expecting to see (all newtools in 1/72)

- Ju88A

- B24 Liberator

- HP Hampden

Hoping/Wishing to see (all newtools in 1/72)

- Downscaled 1/72 Walrus

- Hawker Tempest MkII and MkV

- Spitfire Mk's I, VC and IX (yes it's time to re-tool them to today's standards) 😉

Dreaming of a 1/350 HMS Queen Elizabeth/POW and an all new tooled 1/24 Spitfire Mk IX 😎

The B-24 would do best as a Ford Nose H.

That was the quientessential variant of the AAF IN Europe, and the original equipment of most AAF Liberator groups that arrived.  The ones that did not come over with the H (7 groups) flew the H series in numbers as replacements.

I was very happy with the 2019 releases.  The Bucc in 1/72nd and Tiger Moth in 1/48th will fill in a gap.  Many of the rereleased aircraft models will suit me very well, thanks.  Quite a few of my wishes have come true from Airfix over the last couple of years.

As for 2020,  still hoping for these.  Trying to think of good sellers.

1/72 Hawker Hunter F6 New Tool Replacement for old tooling.

1/72 DH Mosquito BIV New Tool 3 Versions

1/72 Hawker Hurricane I New Parts. Metal Wing version.

1/72 Bristol Beaufighter NF1 New Parts Gibson / Cunningham Decals

1/72 Avro Anson to replace old kit.  

1/72 Bomber Support Figures. New Tool. To go with Vehicles1/48 Hawker Hurricane I. New Parts. Fabric wing. 3 Versions.

1/48 DH Vampire T11 New Tool

1/48 Supermarine Swift FR5 New Tool

1/48 HP Provost T3 New Tool

1/48 Supermarine Scimitar. 1/48 Austin 'Tilly.' New Tool 1/48 RAF Ground Crew New Tool 1950-1960 to suit Javelin / Hunter1/48 Land Rover ( RAF ) New Tool 1950-1960 to suit Javelin / Hunter

Larger wishes are for the following aircraft . . . .

1/72nd Vulcan B2 to replace old mould.

1/72nd Halifax BIII to replace old tool.  

1/48th Buccaneer S2 to replace old kit.

Odd balls . . . 

1/48th  DH 88 Comet Racer.  New Tool and three versions.

1/48th Gladiator.  New Tool.  3 schemes. 

Would buyers support a Helo revival? 

This buyer certainly would 😀 - loved the recent Westland SeaKing and would also love to see other RAF helicopers given similar treatment. Just the thought of a Whirlwind HC/HAR.10, Wessex HC/HAR.2, Puma HC.1 - or my personal favourite a Belvedere  HC.1 - all done to the same standard has me drooling at the prospect (not a pretty sight...).  Preferably in 1/72, but 1/48 would be good too.

/media/tinymce_upload/1d25d0f992c44a0f647308e9f70b6340.jpg

I think they would fly off the shelves... 😛

Rich

• 3 months later...

I'm so impressed with the new tool kits.

Just finished building the Blenheim. First build for me in more than 20 years and loved it.

I would love to see new tools in 1/72 of the b24 liberator, b26 marauder, Lysander, and maybe a Short Empire or Sunderland.

Or a boeing 314 clipper. 

OK, maybe 2021:

1/72 Vickers Valentia: RAF night bomber 1940, RAF transport in Iraq (41?), SAAF day bomber in AOI.

with follow up Victoria in 2022.

with Airfix’s new penchant for interiors too.

Probably one of the most underrated twin engine planes never done in injection.

A 1/24th Defiant would be nice.  The turret would be particularly interesting in this scale?  

Wouldn't the Gnat suit the scale well, and provide many colourful finish options?

And a Vampire would be attractive if not as good a potential seller?

• 3 weeks later...

What I'd like to see Airfix re-releasing, if you still have the tooling, are the two old Hovercraft kits:

The SRN4 "Channel Crosser" in 1/144 scale and the even older SRN-1 in 1/72 scale. 

These are currently selling for totally outrageous prices on the usual "well known auction site" (the last time I looked these were being offered at over 100 Euro!).

So if you dusted off and repaired, if necessary, the old tooling and marketed these two kits at more reasonable prices, I'm convinced you'd have a decent market of nostalgic fans out there.

Sine there's no 2020 thread yet:

1/48 scale Hampden

1/48 scale Hudson

1/48 scale Beaufort

1/48 scale Anson Coastal Command version

1/48 scale Whirlwind (WW II fighter, not helo) done right

1/48 scale Blackburn Skua

1/48 scale Battle

If you notice a trend here, you're right.  These are all Battle of France/Battle of Britain types, long neglected.  We are up to our ears in German types, our American side of the pond does pretty well, RAF needs some attention too!