New Releases 2019

Not normally one to whinge,there have been some wonderful 1/72 and 1/48 aircraft releases over the past 2-3 years,but I am somewhat underwhelmed this year with only the new tool Bucc to look forward to ( and even then it was crying out for a 1/48 tool).It is a shame if there has been a change of policy to save money by re-ssuing old models instead of innovating and leading the field.Perhaps Airfix should change its name to Tankfix!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps Airfix should change its name to Tankfix!

Considering the neglect of AFVs (along with ships, cars and figures) over the last few years that's a bit rich. Aircarft modellers have been inundated with new tools over the last ten years. I know 'planes are easy money, but how much longer can the other genres be ignored. Just an odd new tool every now and then would be an improvement (and the reboxing of existing Academy kits doesn't count as inspirational or new). There are one or two on this year's list that I might be tempted with, but nothing that leaps off the page and says "buy me, buy me, buy me, I must get that!"

The market was also crying out for a new tool Buccaneer in 1:72nd which we now have, and those who work in the 1:48th scale can't have every new tool going. Under the current difficult financial situation I think we should all be realistic in our expectations as lots of new toolings would require heavy investment, so Airfix probably due require the funds generated by the sale of the old classic kits going forward!!!

I had not realised that the Jetstream, Dominie, DH Heron and Concorde were part of the classic range.

I am quite excited these are being released albeit under the Vintage Range - as I use to love putting together these types of aircraft as a lad, and got immense satisfaction from putting the windows in. I have to say I don't like the modern civil aircraft kits due to the fact that you get decals for the windows (not quite the same!). This time however - I will make sure I get some interior detail inside, in the vain hope that you might see it for looking into the cockpit / cabin. 😆 

The modern moulds though are great, and I am fairly pleased with the choice on offer for 2019.

One small thing - maybe for 2020 classic range - would be nice to have a classic car (subject to tools being available) - perhaps the Maserati (was proposed ~2015 I think) or Mercedes 280 SL

With reference to the Vintage Jetstream release, this kit was based on a cancelled order for the USAF, and is only applicable to the USAF specification, it can't be built accurately as any RAF/ RN or civil aircraft without modification, mainly to the engine instillation I think. Basically it's a What If model, though nothing wrong with that if it's your thing.

It is a shame if there has been a change of policy to save money by re-ssuing old models instead of innovating and leading the field.Perhaps Airfix should change its name to Tankfix!

It's quite possible the company is responding to demand in re-releasing old kits, although I don't doubt they are stretched to invest in lots of new tooling. My impression from the forums and Facebook groups is that the old kits have been well received, not just by geeks of a certain age looking for a nostalgia fix, but also by more casual buyers who've discovered that the old kits can be a bit of a hoot to build. If they sell well there's a double bonus, it helps Hornby get back on its finacial feet and Airfix will get to invest in more new tools further down the line.  

Have tosay I disagree with those who say there's not much exciting this year in aircraft. Seriously looking forward to the new Buccaneer & Fresco. Cant wait to finally get hands again on the re released Sea Vixen, and the 1/24 Hellcat is a great fresh addition to the range. 

Tanks are not my personal bag, but a I know some who are excited abouted the big rerelease catalogue for this year. I'm with the poster who comments on re release for investments sake, and I reckon Airfix have made some pretty good & well informed decisons on what to develop and what to bring back from the past.

Well done guys.................. Can we pleeease have a new tool 1/72 Superfortress next.

Well done Airfix! I can't wait to get my hands on that 1/48th scale Spitfire FR14...I am thinking a postwar 443 'Hornet" Squadron machine at Utersen West Germany winter of 45-46.

The Mig-17 is a must and I will park that next to a Sabre 6 in a "what if it had happened" park.

I am not really a fleet air arm guy but I can see a nice diorama of Ark Royal's flight deck with the Buccaneer and Phantom!!! Likewise the big Helcat ... A diorama with the Helcat in front of an Essex class carrier's island...I think I have a colour picture of that in a book.

Speaking of dioramas, the 1/48 Tiger Moth will round out a Hurricane diorama that I have been considering based on a picture that I have of AF964 taxiing over a snow covered taxi way past the flight line of Tiger Moths of No.2 IFS in the winter of 40-41. Oddly enough I ended up with three pics of AF964: one is a  front view parked with the test pilot getting out, the taxiing picture shows the right side and I have one more of the left side flying up against a cloud  bank!  And it's production line mate, AF955 was converted in the UK to a Sea Hurricane and featured in the 1/48 Airfix kit!

Oh.... So many models..so little time.

Cheers,

Tim

I am amazed at the number of 48th 'officienados' both here and on other sites I belong to unhappy with this years' releases  ☹️

I could've had a giant whinge about NO new tool 1/72nd Sea Vixen (a big hole!!!!!), Meteor, Walrus, Sea Fury, Fury 1, Merlin, EA-6B, Spitfire Mk.XII or Seafire F.XVII, all released in 48th but not a whisper of a new tool 1/72scale release of these subjects ☹️

I could've gone on about the fact that Airfix has missed a great opportunity to release a 1/72scale tin wing Hurricane to go along with their rag wing Hurri (I've two of these) that maybe could've competed with the outstanding ARMA Hobby release but they've let that go. I'm about to purchase several ARMA kits so without a horse in the race Airfix loses out.

I'm only mentioning these points that I'm not 'pleased with' as an illustration that Airfix cannot possibly please everyone in all scales (said this before). It's just not feasible for any manufacturer in the hobby. Although if they did release the above subjects . . . . YIPPEE!!! Out with the wallet!!!

That aside, and I know I've said something like this in a prevoius post here, we should just support Airfix so they can generate the cash they need to enable them to produce those "new" tools us modelers are waiting for.

@ FAAMAN

I agree with your post, and your previous 1 too. I find it difficult to understand those who work in 1:48th scale who complaint about the lack of new tools considering those they've had in the past couple of years. I have a long wish list but accept Airfix aren't in business just to adhere to my personal preferences!

As you said they can't hope to please everyone all the time, the best Airfix can do if please some of the people some of the time which I'm sure they try hard to do .......... !!

With all these new releases, new armour kits,  and vintage classics it is a pity that the excellent Airfix Napoleonic 54mm figures range has still not been retooled or reissued - still nowhere to be seen!. Shame, Airfix could not even manage a token effort for the 200 anniversary of Waterloo in 2015. Modeling is not just aircraft and armour.

With all these new releases, new armour kits,  and vintage classics it is a pity that the excellent Airfix Napoleonic 54mm figures range has still not been retooled or reissued - still nowhere to be seen!. Shame, Airfix could not even manage a token effort for the 200 anniversary of Waterloo in 2015. Modeling is not just aircraft and armour.

Considering the RAF 100 and End of WWI centenary were damp squids, and the forthcoming Concorde and Apollo 11 50th Anniversaries rate only Vintage reissues rather than new moulds why would Waterloo 200 be any different (Mayflower 400 next year, rebirth of the Sail Ship line?...)

There are dozens of old moulds that haven't yet been added to the Vintage Classics thus far. The 54mm figures may have a following (id take a few to add to my existing small stash) but are they any more deserving than many remaining aircraft, cars and miscellaneous items? 

I was generally very encouraged by the new releases. They show real  confidence in the future in my view. While there's not a huge amount that satisfies my 'thing', (1/72 military aircraft, from a particular era) rhe Buc and Mig are of real interest to me, I have no problem whatsoever seeing tanks, ships and civilan aircraft across the scales; Airfix has a wide customer base and needs to appeal to as much of it as possible.  😀

The 1/35 scale armour is REALLY expensive compared to other brands efforts. Unless Airfix has gone mad this suggests they could be world class kits.  I'd suggest watch and see when more info available

I'm primarily 1/72 aircraft. Having seen how much effort goes into a full blown new tool release its unrealistic to expect more than a handful a year. What they have scheduled for release are good choices and not represented elsewhere. If you want a bucaneer it's a 1970s mould. The mig 17 will be an eastern European kit. My latest build was a 1980s boxed hampden. Easy build which painted really nicely to make a nice model. It was a fun build which is the whole point! I'm looking forward to some of the old releases being reissued as they should be really enjoyable projects.

The one thing that does become really apparent year on year is a total spitfire vacuum in 1/72. Bizarre for such a British icon as airfix. The mk ix (easily bought online for the price of 2 pints) is a great model as is the mk22/24 etc. They've got the moulds, it's a nice kit, why not make more?  

The RRP of the 1/35 armour is exactly the same as the Academy boxings - where they came from.

My only experiments with 1/35 armour is tamiya. Half the price but nothing to write home about. £50 for a 1/35 panther is a significant price though.

I've generally been pleased with academy aircraft but as you say price is similar to airfix.

My main interrest is in US military aircraft 1950/1960 on, so the Airfix 2019 planned releases disappointing.

The A4B Skyhawk in new markings would have been of interest but I was put off the earlier release by how fragile parts such as the tail hook, nose probe, slats are.

I am curious about the re-release of the old USAF Jetstream kit unchanged.  I wonder how much interest there is in building it out of the box and alternatively conversion to any other Jetstream version is not that easy.

Airfix have produced some fairly good kits of the F86E/F Sabre in recent years but then don't continue the theme with say, F86D (re - issue) F86H, FJ2/FJ3 Fury.
Llikewise no continuation of the theme after the WW1 Eindecker and Be2c.

Suggestions made to Airfix include - LOCKHEED: Neptune P2V7- T33A - F104 (USAF) -  C121A/C and WV2: P3 Orion.   GRUMMAN: EA6A Electronic Intruder - Hawkeye - Mohawk - Tracker/Tracer - Panther/Cougar.

In light of the mig 17 adapting the new tool F4 for USAF/navy/USMC would be cost effective and make a nice "dogfight double"

How to convert an F-4K/M into an F-4J.

1. Lower main undercarriage and missiles
  2. Remove F-4K/M
  3. Insert F-4J
  4. Raise main undercarriage and missiles.

Seriously, there are very few common parts given the Airfix tool design.

F-4K/M to F-4J would only need new fuselage halves, exhausts, wings, horizontal tail, nose undercarriage, cockpit, weapons...and decals.

Yes a new 100% new mould would be nice but I suspect it would also be wiser to lobby Airfix to rebox the new(ish) Academy F-4J considering the AFV tie up.

A whole new 1/72 US Phantom lineup would be nice considering Hasegawa and Fujimi kits are no longer reasonably cheap and easy finds in shops, Revell only did the F, and Academy the J. There's a gap in the European market for sure but if Airfix were to jump in they would need to step up their game and not repeat the irritating small errors on their UK Phantoms (notably the lack of very visible vents). 

The academy "jolly roger" F4 was the most enjoyable F4 I've built but it was £30 plus shipping from the far east (and that was a couple of years ago) Reboxing it as airfix and I'll advance order it today The RAF also used F4Js so it's got potential in a few schemes. 

I can't find an F35b in 1/72. That must be on airfixs to do list.... 

The academy "jolly roger" F4 was the most enjoyable F4 I've built but it was £30 plus shipping from the far east (and that was a couple of years ago) 

In 1/72? Hannant's stock it at 26.99 along with the Showtime 100 and Red Devils boxings. I got a Jolly Rogers from a Facebook group for 24.00 posted. Probably the best in scale at the moment.

F-4K/M to F-4J would only need new fuselage halves, exhausts, wings, horizontal tail, nose undercarriage, cockpit, weapons...and decals.

Yes a new 100% new mould would be nice but I suspect it would also be wiser to lobby Airfix to rebox the new(ish) Academy F-4J considering the AFV tie up.

A whole new 1/72 US Phantom lineup would be nice considering Hasegawa and Fujimi kits are no longer reasonably cheap and easy finds in shops, Revell only did the F, and Academy the J. There's a gap in the European market for sure but if Airfix were to jump in they would need to step up their game and not repeat the irritating small errors on their UK Phantoms (notably the lack of very visible vents). 

The Spey intakes are wider too, and there are at least 2 different shape leading edges for the inner wing pylons. The whole fact of this discussion illustrates just how close Airfix come with their Spey Phantom.

The academy "jolly roger" F4 was the most enjoyable F4 I've built but it was £30 plus shipping from the far east (and that was a couple of years ago) 

In 1/72? Hannant's stock it at 26.99 along with the Showtime 100 and Red Devils boxings. I got a Jolly Rogers from a Facebook group for 24.00 posted. Probably the best in scale at the moment.

In 1/72. Thanks for the hannants tip. They carry an amazing range but their search option is less than ideal. 

Archived