New Releases 2019

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never had any problem with H's search engine. With the keyword, less can be more, but the spelling needs to be spot on.

If you search for say "F4 phantom" you get 20 pages of pe and resin upgrade parts, not necessarily the one kit - which they may or may not carry- coming up. I use xtradecal decals routinely but it's easier to find the sheet you want on eBay than hannants.

If you search for say "F4 phantom" you get 20 pages of pe and resin upgrade parts, not necessarily the one kit - which they may or may not carry- coming up. I use xtradecal decals routinely but it's easier to find the sheet you want on eBay than hannants.

Use the pull downs to refine the search, eg. aircraft, kits only. You can narrow that down to manufacturer, current, new arrivals, future releases etc. Decals can be more of a problem, but sometimes you can get the hits you want if you name the units that you're after. For instance a search using Xtradecals, 1/72, Lancaster, 617 squadron takes you straight to a relevant sheet. 

Use the pull downs to refine the search, eg. aircraft, kits only. You can narrow that down to manufacturer, current, new arrivals, future releases etc. Decals can be more of a problem, but sometimes you can get the hits you want if you name the units that you're after. For instance a search using Xtradecals, 1/72, Lancaster, 617 squadron takes you straight to a relevant sheet. 

I can use a computer.... 

"1/72 Lancaster decals" on eBay works better. Not least it only throws up decals. I recently had a ridiculous situation where I was using eBay to get the product code for a set of sea king decals because the hannants website would only show them if I entered the product code. 

Anyone questioned the forthcoming A-4 Skyhawk reissue decals yet?

Not convinced option #1 VA-15 is correct in its finer details. OK so I'm forced to go by Boxart and Side profile only atm but there are question marks, with only 2 months or less to release so little time to refine if they haven't already. 

1. Red stripe on fuel tank - Shouldn't it be blue to match the fin tip colour? There's pictures of Gold stripe tanks, likely 'borrowed' from another squadron, but nowhere have I seen Red stripes of this style on any Skyhawk or USS Intrepid/CVW-10 aircraft of the era (Apr 66-Dec 67 iirc) .

Note that Hasegawa has the same option in a 1/48 kit, and the boxart is a colour photo of the real deal with a blue stripe tank. 

2. Rudder colours - The aforementioned (Hasegawa) picture also shows the multiple colours on the rudder ribs as befits a CAG bird. The art works show neither. I would like to hope they are still mentioned in the instructions even though its unlikely to on the decal sheet due to their small size.

3. 00 codex - A minor quibble but references point to this being 300 whilst at sea on the Intrepid although once again I haven't seen pics to confirm, with the 00 being after it's return from combat. Obviously not a problem if you assume your finished kit is displayed post-deployment.

4. Mission markings - these show the full, final count, however as the art depicts a combat mission it should in fact be shorter by at least 1 (maybe more but that would need knowledge of what stores were dropped on each mission). Again not an issue if you assume the post-deployment display option - or a little trimming. 

I can live with other colour and marking mis-matches atm as art may imitate does not always mirror life. Only when full instructions with colour and markings are available will the itty bitty details such as exact placement of the BuNo be resolved.

*FYI, I tried raising this on a FB group and several early replies were along the lines of 'who cares', 'why post here?', 'the tanks just from another plane'(without ref's) - Nicely unhelpful so I just deleted the post and will await the inevitable 'Airfix is %+=&' posts if it is released with errors. (I tried to help) 

Ps. I'm happy to be proved wrong if someone can post relevant pics. 

The academy "jolly roger" F4 was the most enjoyable F4 I've built but it was £30 plus shipping from the far east (and that was a couple of years ago) Reboxing it as airfix and I'll advance order it today The RAF also used F4Js so it's got potential in a few schemes. 

I can't find an F35b in 1/72. That must be on airfixs to do list.... 

Hasegawa has a 1/72 F-35B in several boxings of different marking variations. It has poseable lift fan doors and the exhaust nozzle is also positionable to horizontal flight or STOL mode.

Maybe these don't count since they were announced previously, but looking forward to the FGR2 Phantom  (have old Modeldecal sheet with 29 SQN, 1st to touch down in Falklands), K2 Victor; glad to see A4 with different Argentine markings, re-release of Severn class lifeboat. Still have HAR3 Sea King from last year to catch up on (again using old Modeldecal sheet I've been saving for Grey Whale of 202 Squadron).  If I see one or two releases that interest me, that's about all I can handle in a year anyway. Like most others, I have a stash to draw from (50 years in the making), so don't really have to purchase a bunch of new models every year.  Anything Falklands related is a big plus.

Honestly, I'm super excited for the MiG. They should make a new Sabre with decals for John Glenn's plane to acompany the MiG. Other sets i'm excited for are the Matilda, new FW-190, and the Hellcat, although that seems a bit hard for me. Back to the MiG. From just previewing it,  the schemes aren't that good.

I don't know if John Glenn's "Mig Mad Marine" had the 6-3 wing or not. The Airfit kit would need a new main plane and cannon bay doors to produce any earlier machine.

Ref the MiG, I take you mean it has 2 plain silver schemes, rather than a "foreign camoflage" option?

Honestly, I'm super excited for the MiG. They should make a new Sabre with decals for John Glenn's plane to acompany the MiG. Other sets i'm excited for are the Matilda, new FW-190, and the Hellcat, although that seems a bit hard for me. Back to the MiG. From just previewing it,  the schemes aren't that good.

Airfix has already issued their recent F-86 kit with Maj. Glenn's "Mig Mad Marine" markings. But USAF Sabres never really went up against MiG-17s. The Korean war was over by the time the MiG-17 came into service and, while it did serve in Vietnam, the US adversaries were mainly F-4 Phantoms, F-100s, and F-105s.

Not much good if you want to do an operational aircraft then though is it ? Hmmm...

I was quite intrigued to see some Belgians make an appearance among this year's line-up (1/72 Gloster Gladiator and 1/48 Hawker Hunter F.4), however...

It appears the otherwise excellent Airfix research team made a minor mistake in researching the 'Red Devils' Hawker Hunter, in that they took the Brussels Air Museum example as their research sample!  The 'real' IF-70 was indeed a Hawker Hunter that flew with the Red Devils display team, however it was a Hunter F.6 rather than a Hunter F.4!  (IF-70 was the Fokker-built c/n 8820, delivered December 1958 and withdrawn November 1963; sold to Hawker in January 1965 as G-9-160, converted to FGA.73 and delivered to the Kuwaiti Air Force as 215 in February of 1966).

The Brussels Air Museum example is Hunter F.4 ID-46 (Fairey Aviations-built c/n AF39, delivered December 1956 but already written off June 1957; used as instructional airframe until transfer to the Brussels Air Museum); it was painted up as IF-70 (a Red Devils Hunter F.6 used during the 1961-1963 seasons) soon after its arrival at the Museum in March of 1960, and never restored to its original livery or identity.

So the kit is accurate for the aircraft in the Museum (Something Airfix have done with other recent releases, as thanks for assistance given (e.g. Vampire T11)

The Belgium Hunter F4 isn't the first kit to be 'museum' only. As already mentioned the Vampire T11 is similar.

There's also the well-known error with the 1/72 Blenheim based on the restored Bolingbroke, but less so is the A-4B of VA-95 that has late service modifications that match the preserved airframe but weren't present during its 1966 combat cruise.

OK so these aren't major deal breakers and some are easily backdated or overlooked, but it would be nice if they were presented correctly on box/instructions as being post-retirement.

*The Hunter artwork is still labelled 'subject to change' so maybe it will be tweaked, after all the original F6 decal options were changed in the period between first announcements and final release. 

Archived