New Releases 2019

Hmmm...

I was quite intrigued to see some Belgians make an appearance among this year's line-up (1/72 Gloster Gladiator and 1/48 Hawker Hunter F.4), however...

It appears the otherwise excellent Airfix research team made a minor mistake in researching the 'Red Devils' Hawker Hunter, in that they took the Brussels Air Museum example as their research sample!  The 'real' IF-70 was indeed a Hawker Hunter that flew with the Red Devils display team, however it was a Hunter F.6 rather than a Hunter F.4!  (IF-70 was the Fokker-built c/n 8820, delivered December 1958 and withdrawn November 1963; sold to Hawker in January 1965 as G-9-160, converted to FGA.73 and delivered to the Kuwaiti Air Force as 215 in February of 1966).

The Brussels Air Museum example is Hunter F.4 ID-46 (Fairey Aviations-built c/n AF39, delivered December 1956 but already written off June 1957; used as instructional airframe until transfer to the Brussels Air Museum); it was painted up as IF-70 (a Red Devils Hunter F.6 used during the 1961-1963 seasons) soon after its arrival at the Museum in March of 1960, and never restored to its original livery or identity.

So the kit is accurate for the aircraft in the Museum (Something Airfix have done with other recent releases, as thanks for assistance given (e.g. Vampire T11)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year Revell had 10 new moulds that I know of, maybe more, and Trumpeter releases regularly too. t. 

This year Revell has one. These things ebb and flow. Tooling budgets can affect things, production budgets too - the Hellcat will take up substantial elements of each, but hopefully generate returns that mean investment in more new tooling in the future. The other thing to remember is the time taken to develop these kits - so the announcements we hear now were probably given the go ahead 18 months ago or longer - at a time when Hornby's finances meant that major capital investment was lower. The same reason why Revell only have one new tool this year.

The 1/35th range is interesting (albeit not to me) as such a large range puts Airfix into that scale in a big way, and hopefully generates enough revenue to enable/ pay for original tooling

I think Airfix is doing a pretty good job and overall the 2019 models brought a smile to my face. The return of the old 1:76 military kits is welcome as they are cheap & simple and I make them regularly just because of that. Particularly pleased with the DH Heron. Black Widow and the SM79, but all the old re-releases are very nice to see even if it is more nostalgia that sways my buying choices rather than the accuracy, ease of build or internal detailing. As regards the kits or scales Airfix haven’t given us, well, I just buy from other manufacturers depending what takes my fancy. My preferred scale for military kits is 1:48 so I buy Hobbyboss, Tamiya etc on top of the Airfix Afghan British Forces kits (which I found exceptionally good). Airfix remains my firm brand favourite having been a fan for almost 60 years  and I think the team are entirely on the right track in giving everyone something ...from encouraging younger potential modellers into the hobby to those competent enough to tackle the 1:24 aircraft models... so it’s a well done from me ! 

Out of this year's new releases, I will be getting Airfix QUICK BUILD J6031 Volkswgen Beetle "Flower Power" and Airfix QUICK BUILD J6032 Volkswagen Camper Van "Surfin". Sadly, these are not brand new releases and just re-colours, but nevertheless, they should be good.

GNR-Gordon-4 (AF)

The 1/35th range is interesting (albeit not to me) as such a large range puts Airfix into that scale in a big way, and hopefully generates enough revenue to enable/ pay for original tooling

The 1/35 tanks are from Academy so no tooling cost to recoup.

As usual at this time of year we hear the crying of folks who have specific interests that have been overlooked. Get over it. No manufacturer can please everyone all the time. I can't recall the last time I bought a brand new Revell, Trumpeter or Tamiya kit for that matter. They don't issue subjects that interest me. Now and then Airfix does. Only one or two per year, but I have learnt to be patient. Good things come to those who wait.

The 1/35 tanks are from Academy so no tooling cost to recoup.

I think David_Fleming understands that, what he is suggesting is that if the 1/35 kits sell well enough it may encourage Airfix to do their own original tooled kits.

Awful

Here's some suggestions:

1) Don't buy any Airfix this year

2) Hope that next year things will be better for you

3) Address the stash (if you have one)

4) Buy kits in scales and genres from the myriad other manufacturers that are in the plastic kit business, that suit your taste

They couldn't do anything for D-day in 1/48 either; how hard would it be be to knock together a D-day set similar to the battle of Britain one 

I'm struggling to think of which kits, other than the P-51D, that are available from the current tooling catalogue, from which you could 'knock together' a D-Day set. Give us a clue.

sorry for the late reply, been at work and the airfix website is still slow; ive already pre-ordered the one 1/48 kit i want from the airfix releases which is the tiger moth and there are still lots of last years airfix kits avaliable that i can buy, apart from the tiger moth nothing else takes my intrest. 

I was thinking for the d-day set they could have a Supermarine Spitfire mk v with a bedford truck and mabye some ground crew. The spitfire could carry the scheme of one of the spotter planes used by the US or mabye one with the invasion stripes which in my memory i have never seen airfix do on a spitfire (im not saying they have never done on; i just cant remember if they have done one) 

as they are partnering up with acamedy for tanks they could partner up with another asian modelling company TAMIYA and mabye get permission to include there 1/48 jeep in the kit aswell in return for one of airfixes ground vehicles which tamiya havent done 

P-61 Black Widow is re-released again. The 1967 vintage P-61B, which is covered with Clydeside rivets and shipbuilding welding seams as panel lines. The tooling will make 52 years this year. It is older than me.

What is really grotesque is that the age-old Airfix kit is still today the best 1/72 Black Widow kit around. The Frog is generally unavailable, the Dragon kit is horrible to build - it takes a tube of putty to fill all the gaps - and Hobby Boss new kit is simply rubbish. It ought to be illegal to publish kits like the Hobby Boss P-61 in 2018.

Here is a suggesstion to Airfix gurus. Please make a new tool 1/72  P-61 - you may well use the old kit as the starting point, as it is reasonably accurate and dimensions are okay. Not that I wasn't okay-ish on sanding the bolt heads and welding seams away and scribing my one, but after the Hobby Boss fiasco, we really need a new P-61 in the 72nd scale.

Awful

Here's some suggestions:

1) Don't buy any Airfix this year

2) Hope that next year things will be better for you

3) Address the stash (if you have one)

4) Buy kits in scales and genres from the myriad other manufacturers that are in the plastic kit business, that suit your taste

They couldn't do anything for D-day in 1/48 either; how hard would it be be to knock together a D-day set similar to the battle of Britain one 

I'm struggling to think of which kits, other than the P-51D, that are available from the current tooling catalogue, from which you could 'knock together' a D-Day set. Give us a clue.

sorry for the late reply, been at work and the airfix website is still slow; ive already pre-ordered the one 1/48 kit i want from the airfix releases which is the tiger moth and there are still lots of last years airfix kits avaliable that i can buy, apart from the tiger moth nothing else takes my intrest. 

I was thinking for the d-day set they could have a Supermarine Spitfire mk v with a bedford truck and mabye some ground crew. The spitfire could carry the scheme of one of the spotter planes used by the US or mabye one with the invasion stripes which in my memory i have never seen airfix do on a spitfire (im not saying they have never done on; i just cant remember if they have done one) 

as they are partnering up with acamedy for tanks they could partner up with another asian modelling company TAMIYA and mabye get permission to include there 1/48 jeep in the kit aswell in return for one of airfixes ground vehicles which tamiya havent done 

I take it you don't understand that airfix and tamiya are very much rivals in this day and age.

The most anticipated event of my Modelling year has finally arrived - the publication of Airfix’s releases for the coming year. I opened the link with great disappointment. It took so long to open each page. I guess so many people were looking at the same time.

There were a number of highlights for me when I finally was able to look at all the pages. The top of the list has to be the new Buccaneer, with RN markings. It’s been requested numerous times, and now it’s the year we get it - Great Stuff!

A lot of the early tank & ship models continue to be released, and now they are joined by a good number of veteran aircraft. Again, Great Stuff.

I also noticed, after a couple of retakes, that the 1/48 Hunter is to be released as an F4. There were some markings options shown, which made me wonder about the RAF option. If that scheme is actually released, it is in fact an F5. I had to check because I didn’t thing 1 Squadron flew F4s. The real thing is in the Tangmere Museum. Not that there’s too much difference between the F4 & F5, other than the engine. Still, it will be good to get an accurate straight winged Hunter at long last.

So, well done again Airfix. Thanks for the anticipation.

Yes some interesting developments. Still find it interesting the 1/24th Hellcat was released. I think Airfix has the basis for two excellent 1/24th scale models in their famous Spitfire and Bf109E 1/24th kits. A re-tool of those I would have thought, would be a good way to go, as they both had serious flaws and with a bit of work could be brought up to modern standards? Even the excellent 1/24th Hurricane had problems, wing dihedral issues and wing thickness. Benchmark kits are available in 1/32 scale for these aircraft and some good 1/24th scale from other manufacturers, but an update of these classics would be a good and not to expensive way to go? Having said that, fixing the Hurricane wings and indeed the 'flat plank' look of the Spitfire wings, would require a pretty significant modification?

Also, with the excellent Blenheim, Bristol Herculese engined Lancaster, Whitley and Wellington releases, the very much neglected but very important HP Halifax, is surely due for a re-tool?   

The Airfix 2019 releases seem to have disappointed a few people, including me, but on the whole it looks like quite a good year. I would have preferred a 1/72 new tool of something not covered by a mainstream manufacturer before, but the firm just can't be all things to all modellers. It was good to see them branch out into 1/35 AFV kits in a big way, I hope it will be a success and will definitely give it my support. The return of HMS Victorious is good news, along with some of the old 1/72 classics, because it will stop people being ripped off on e-bay. The new Buccaneer is great, I doubt if anyone else will produce a state of the art kit of this British classic.

@ Captain Triggers

If my memory is correct Airfix did a Spitfire Mk.IX JE-J with invasion stripes. It was the new tool Mk.IX not the horrid old tooling offering with solid wings, and the second decal offering in the DAF Spit IX release!

@ Captain Triggers and Hawkerhurricaneguy, your posts have been referred to admin. Whilst I'm sure no offence was intended I can also see that it could easily be taken. Can I also point out that before posting up a reply to something that might be deemed to be personal you are encouraged to use the report facility.

@ Captain Triggers and Hawkerhurricaneguy, your posts have been referred to admin. Whilst I'm sure no offence was intended I can also see that it could easily be taken. Can I also point out that before posting up a reply to something that might be deemed to be personal you are encouraged to use the report facility.

alright, i will use that next time; thank you

what did you think of my suggestion for a 1/48 d day pack thou with a spitfire mk v in a american spotter aircraft scheme or with invasion stripes and a bedford truck and ground crew? 

I can't believe the poor reactions and negative comments ☹️

Airfix does have their problems, I've railed about a few meself like the atrocious A-4B Skyhawk, missing appropriate crew figures in kits, and glaring holes in 1/72 and 1/600 scale new releases and too much 1/48 but that's just my own viewpoint.

Airfix can't possibly cover everyone's "want", and if that's your problem, find another manufacturer.

I must admit a little dissapointment in some areas with this years releases but I'm also impressed by what I see too, with a number of purchases coming to mind that need aquiring (some 1/35 vehicles are VERY tempting) like a 1/24 scale Hellcat, my first 1/24 kit in 35 years.

If you want new tool kits from Airfix then support them with purchases so they make the dollars (err Pounds) and can afford to invest in new tooling.

Over all, well done Airfix 😎

what did you think of my suggestion for a 1/48 d day pack thou with a spitfire mk v in a american spotter aircraft scheme or with invasion stripes and a bedford truck and ground crew? 

Not bad at all. For whatever reason Airfix have decided to go with the 1/72 sets, probably because there's no additional artwork and packaging to develop. The Hellcat will have been a huge drain on whatever resources they have available.

Not bad at all. For whatever reason Airfix have decided to go with the 1/72 sets, probably because there's no additional artwork and packaging to develop. The Hellcat will have been a huge drain on whatever resources they have available.

its kind of a shame considering they brought out a "new" stuka when the only new thing about it is an additional decal set. 

I am overall very pleased with the 2019 range espicially the Buccaneer (my favorite British aircraft after the Canberra) and the Hellcat.  If Airfix can make money through marketing Academy armor, that is very positive.  The old molds might make some disappointed but building the older kits is comforting and therapeutic.  I like particularly the Bulldog and Demon - using my more advanced finishing skills (compared to when I was a kid) should be fun.

Shame about the standard and predictable gripping. How can anyone moan about a decent Buc ?

1/48 Tiger Moth - Great !

1/24 Hell cat !

Please note folks - accuracy with a certain Chinese manufacturer seems to be optional.

Bit puzzled by the launch into 1/35 Armour - bit late Airfix. Will need to be cheap to sell.

Lots of stuff they could have released and sometimes they are lacking in creativity.

On the whole - well done Airfix

Archived