US Loco Big Boy Question

Cedric HK

@CedricHK

Depends which one you are after....

Hornby don't have a minimum quoted on the Rivarossi page for the proposed 2019 release of 4014, but a quick search suggest you are correct for 18" for the Rivarossi model. MTH also suggest 18" and Athearn 22". The Trix Big Boy claims to handle 14".....Others are available. As suggested by Yelrow, make some adjustments - all your stock will look and operate better on larger radius curves, not just the BB.

They look great and I've often looked at them and thought..........mmm maybe.

@Yelrow

Which BB do you have?

@ellocoloco

Proposed 2019 release you said? I was unaware and now I might consider getting one if the price is right. I was looking at another BB done by a US company starting with "B" and it looks brilliant, sadly it is quite expensive too.

The only radius 2 sections I have on my layout is two curved points, which are standard hornby points. 

https://imgur.com/a/Ufgj7Af

@Yelrow do you think you could test the BB on some Hornby standard curved points? I would love to know if they work!

@CedricHK

If you look under the Rivarossi new releases on this website you'll see the proposed 4014.

I had forgotten that Broadway offered one - I thought you ment Bachmann, but that was an NP 2-8-8-4, which I quite fancied but have never been convinced with the products I have of theirs. 

If you not sure about the curves then a S/H example might be better............

@CedrikHK

As Yelrow suggests, second hand - or preloved!

So many models out there get little use and remain in great condition so bargins can be had. The Rivarossi model has been around for about 40 years so there are 'varying' standards available. If you can find a Hornby built one you should be fine, or a later Rivarossi example from the late 90s.

I'm tempted to preorder the rivarossi one releasing this year, since I don't have to paid for VAT if I ship to HK, making a brand new BB around £300 without shipping. From eBay there are quite a few BB listing and in very different price range too. How do I know if there are built by hornby?

From memory R2 is 438mm which is 17.25”, so marginal in my opinion.

Adverts I have seen say this loco is almost a metre long, so a considerable machine to get round corners even with dual articulation.

RAF: don't believe eveything you read/see - almost a metre, that would be some monster! I've just measured my HO magnificant beast, just under 500mm long including the tender.

@CedricHK

Rivarossi was acquired by Lima at some point and the whole operation folded in 2003. Hornby bought their assets in 2004 and moved production from Italy to China. Along with the separate acquisition of Electrotren, these brands form the basis of Hornby International.

Hornby issued models would have HR in front of the product number and would have been China manufactured form 2006 (It took them a few years to get their act together) If viewing on ebay, the box should have the Hornby 'H' logo somewhere....................

Good luck.

Adverts I have seen say this loco is almost a metre long, so a considerable machine to get round corners even with dual articulation.

RAF: don't believe eveything you read/see - almost a metre, that would be some monster! I've just measured my HO magnificant beast, just under 500mm long including the tender.

Gaugemaster advert in a newsletter...

The link takes you here 1071mm long in Ho

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=HR2753

/media/tinymce_upload/915e73ff9163c42b3161e094d1d78260.jpg

• 1 year later...

I recently purchased a bigboy new old stock model number HR2005

I received the bigboy yesterday in the  post from the seller,  brand new old of the box ,took the loco out of its box, notice the front driving wheels were handing down and not clip into the frame of the loco

put the bigboy on the track to run it and only the back Drivers would rotate, after more closer inspection , it was reveled the from drivers where locked solid, then I noticed the cover to the gear box of the front gearbox had come off , revelling all the gears in the front gears box had broken off the spools they sit on 

I sent an email Hornby in the uk, the respond I go was that everything over there is sill closed down including hornbys spare parts warehouse 

so I'm looking replacement front bigboy truck 2005/3 or Trasmissione Hr2031 (HR2099/3) if it fits a hr 2005

Also Hr2005/19 part number HS1411 trailing truck 

Hornby International parts for older models are pretty difficult- in view of what you have said the item could not have been packed in a satisfactory condition by the seller that is unless the loco was damaged before being sent !!!!!. Personally I would send the thing back for a full refund including carriage.  There is always another day !!!!