A04017 Bristol Blenheim MkIV

Heather Kavanagh

I think I'm nearly there.

/media/tinymce_upload/4ba87d5e185fe348874bb4029fdb41fe.jpg

A mix of generic and kit transfers went on to give me the national markings. 

/media/tinymce_upload/c42b01f8fe93b39a183d38fefde3e9eb.jpg

To get the white outline on the aircraft ID letter, I used a draughting pen and white paint. I knew there was a good reason for choosing a letter with straight lines! The letters are 24in, which are a bit large to truly accurate, but they'll do for me. This image shows the model after a coat of satin varnish had been airbrushed over it. Sadly, the varnish spattered a little, so I left it to dry hard before dealing with it.

/media/tinymce_upload/3def221370e0973c8eaac0fa0bc50145.jpg

I carefully rubbed down the spatters and repaired the paintwork as necessary. I followed up with a brushed coat of satin varnish to try and impart a little life back into the airframe. Small paint repairs and various fixtures and fittings were done, so I'm left with installing the props and the antenna wire, with a smidge of weathering to complete. I must remember to take the masking off the landing lights, and dab some brick red over the wing machine gun port.

Once those bits are done, this model can join my Bomber Command fleet. The only gap now is the Fairey Battle. I wonder when we might get a new tool of that plane?  😇

And it's finished!

Bristol Blenheim MkIV, R3744 BL-K, No 40 Squadron, RAF Bomber Command, Wyton, Cambridgeshire, July 1940

Originally formed in February 1916, No 40 Squadron RFC was disbanded in 1919. In April 1931 it was reformed as a bomber squadron. At the outbreak of the Second Word War, the squadron was equipped with Fairey Battles and was sent to France as part of the BEF's Advanced Air Striking Force. In December 1939, the squadron was returned to the UK, at RAF Wyton, where it was converted to Blenheims. The unit continued daylight operations over France, flying from its UK base, through the Phoney War, the Battle of France, and during the Battle of Britain to attack the invasion barges being assembled by the German forces.

The squadron converted to Vickers Wellingtons in November 1940, flying night bombing missions. In late 1941 a detachment was sent to Malta, the whole squadron following in early 1942.

No 40 Squadron was disbanded in February 1957. Interestingly, it was slated for reformation as the first operational BAC TSR2 squadron, and then to fly the General Dynamics F-111. As both aircraft were cancelled, the unit remained out of service.

/media/tinymce_upload/c5b1a85f594cfe651a7696a73ee20abd.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/8650c0324cfe8d9303b174659ecc79fa.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/607efb315df47ebb551fb88304e22d06.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e8f216df9cbdad3c9990915ae3a5a0a5.jpg

The kit was built more or less out of the box, with markings cobbled together from the kit sheet and generic aftermarket sheets. The squadron codes are not quite correct in size, but I couldn’t find any suitable letters. No 40 Squadron outlines each aircraft identity letter in white, which I did with a bow pen and white paint. The model was brush painted with Xtracrylix, Humbrol and Revell acrylics, with some enamels used for detailing. Perhaps it’s time I considered making my own decals! The vehicles used are from Airfix and Flightpath.

I wonder what will fall off the stash shelf next!

Well done. A good model and a very nice scene with some interesting history to back it up. I particularly liked the change in impact from the semi-gloss to the matt finish.

Given the mix up in squadrons at the early stage, I wonder if you based the final diorama on a real 40 Squadron picture. I followed your link for the black & white 110 Squadron picture, and eventually found a colour version. It was particularly interesting to see the collector ring bronze.

/media/tinymce_upload/7179dc2f7e780bda3de55b8ba9aff741.PNG

Yes, that photo was definitely an inspiration for me. The original is available from the Imperial War Museum web site.

I think the version you've posted has been colourised from the black and white original. Whoever did it looks like they coloured the collector ring Based on false information.  😉

Yes another lovely rendition of the Blenheim Heather and I do like your display pictures of your finished models, far better than my efforts. 

But in relation to the collector ring colours I was given to understand the collector rings were stainless steel so the Gun Metal 53 colour given by Airfix's colour call-out may be  near correct when new, but heat tainted the rings a bronze tone which is the colour Airfix stated in most of their older tool kits with similar collector rings? 

Well, yes, collector rings can heat stain; there's also some suggestion that some of them may have been painted ex-factory, and the metal colour is only revealed when the paint chips and/or peals and/or burns off.

As to "what colour does stainless steel start as?" and "what does it discolour to?" that's opening another can of worms because it will depend on the grade of stainless used!

• 2 weeks later...

I found this link

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/70160-bristol-beaufighter-collector-rings/

which has a couple of pics of the last flying Blenheim. It's a stainless steel ring but engine heat has turned it a copperish colour. A K interactive do metallic waxes. Their copper lightly applied over gloss black worked for me on a Beaufighter.

• 2 weeks later...

/media/tinymce_upload/80016b766a915fc9750e12dd080e5c63.jpgI found this link

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/70160-bristol-beaufighter-collector-rings/

which has a couple of pics of the last flying Blenheim. It's a stainless steel ring but engine heat has turned it a copperish colour. A K interactive do metallic waxes. Their copper lightly applied over gloss black worked for me on a Beaufighter.

Excellent posting! That Blenhein picture really does it. The old usage of bright Bronze/Copper needs to be put down. This diagram points out how the collector heat stained.

Well done. A good model and a very nice scene with some interesting history to back it up. I particularly liked the change in impact from the semi-gloss to the matt finish.

Given the mix up in squadrons at the early stage, I wonder if you based the final diorama on a real 40 Squadron picture. I followed your link for the black & white 110 Squadron picture, and eventually found a colour version. It was particularly interesting to see the collector ring bronze.

/media/tinymce_upload/7179dc2f7e780bda3de55b8ba9aff741.PNG

In my copy of "RAF Wattisham- A Pictorial Hisstory" it states:

"All unit insignia  and other obvious  identification markings had been removed from front-line aircraft by the outbeak of war and replaced by a two-letter code donating the squadron  and  the individual aircraft"

So what is the individual letter fo R3600?

• 2 months later...

Hello Dominic.

I don't have that sheet. I find I tend to make up markings from generic sets if the kit doesn't cover what I want. In a way, I suppose, that sometimes makes the finished model slightly less "authentic", but it suits me,

I have, in the past, bought in special sheets, but I then find most of the sheet never gets used once I've trimmed out what I want. I do look out for suitable sets that cover various types where I can. An example of this is a specific Battle of Britain set from Xtradecal which covered many of the Fighter Command planes.