Ratch

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to suggest something really different
In 1/72 and 1/48
An Avro Anson.
In use from about 1936 to 1974 in about 24 versions (Marks). Used by a great many different countries during its lifespan.
An Anson would fit in with the Blenheim 1, Beaufort and other early RAF twins

A 1/72 Avro Anson would be a good choice. As you say it was used quite broadly during WW2 and after.

I do think that with the great number of Handley Page Hampden requests in the "Wishlist for 2022" that maybe a 1/72 Hampden might be in the 2022 Airfix catalogue ... here's hoping!

Cheers,

Tim

I do think that with the great number of Handley Page Hampden requests in the "Wishlist for 2022" that maybe a 1/72 Hampden might be in the 2022 Airfix catalogue ... here's hoping!
Cheers,
Tim

As I have about 4 of the old kit to build there probably will be a new tool kit soon, grinning

Or maybe a re-release of the old kit in the 'Vintage Classics' series if the mould is still good to use

• 2 weeks later...

Just been watching the Hornby documentary on telly. A lot of work has been done on researching the Bristol Fighter for a Corgi model, hope they can carry on and use the information for a new 1/72 offering in plastic.

Hope to see a few more 'Vintage Classics' in 2022. I would be really great to see the original Hercules with the Bloodhound Missile, but perhaps that's too optimistic.

A lot of manufacturers seem to be going for a themed approach (such as 109s), whereas Airfix just seem to thrash around with no obvious direction, so my wish list would for 4 themes 1/72 FAA up to 1945 (repeated in 1/48) and the same for FAA post 1945 (including helicopters).

A lot of manufacturers seem to be going for a themed approach (such as 109s), whereas Airfix just seem to thrash around with no obvious direction, so my wish list would for 4 themes 1/72 FAA up to 1945 (repeated in 1/48) and the same for FAA post 1945 (including helicopters).

Hi S2000

How each of us rate Airfix’s delivery of new aircraft into the market place depends on our own perspectives.

I don’t really see their new mold releases as “thrashing around with no direction”…… I see it more as a calculated, balanced approach to satisfying all of the various interest groups at the same time updating their huge vintage catalogue that dates back to the mid 1950’s with kits that will sell and make them some money.

Personally, I think that they are doing well and I am surprised with some of the new offerings that I never thought would make it into production. My main areas of interest are WW2 RAF Fighter, Bomber and Coastal Command and Post War Fast Jets in 1/72nd and 1/48th scales. So, I have done really well by Airfix lately.

By the way, it is not like they have done nothing lately in your area of interest

1/72nd scale Buccaneer, Phantom II, Sea King, Sea Harrier

1/72nd scale Wildcat, Swordfish,

1/48th scale DH Sea Vixen

1/48th scale Sea Hurricane, Sea Fury,

Not to mention the big 1/24th scale Hellcat (not your scales)

Hopefully you have bought and built a few of each and everyone of these kits!

Cheers,

Tim

Well I’ve purchased them - building them is another matter! But there are some holes (Whirlwind helicopter and 1/48 Buccaneer), but here’s hoping.

Hi S

Good on you. I have many of them as well and face the same challenge in getting them built.

My wife and I have spent the last 3 months with grandchildren (I am not complaining) and reality is that now the neglected chores and projects have to be complete before the arrival of winter. Grandkids are still a bit young for the snap together kits …… but soon we will be all over that opportunity.

I am hoping for a retooled HP Hampden and maybe another WW2 bomber but I still need to catch up on purchasing the 2021 new tools now available.

Cheers

Tim

Okay, here is mine - all in 1/72 scale.

1. Consolidated B-24H Liberator with Ford nose. [There are no 'H' model kits in existence. The old Airfix B-24J is horribly inaccurate and dated.]
  2. Vought F4U-1D Corsair with folding wings. [same reason - there is no folding wings version of Corsair available in 1/72, and the Airfix F4U is horribly dated.]
  3. Brewster F2A Buffalo, with noses for either Model 239 (the Finnish version) and F2A-2 (FAA version).
  4. Junkers Ju 88 A-4 / C-6 with parts for both bomber and fighter
  5. Republic P-47D Razorback. [The old Airfix kit is horribly inaccurate]
  6. Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate [We need a new kit of Ki-84 Frank]
  7. Handley Page Hampden [The old Airfix kit is horribly dated]
  8. Fokker D.XXI with both Finnish and Dutch versions [The old Frog kit is unavailable]
  9. Blackburn Skua [The old Frog kit is horribly dated and unavailable]
  10. Messerschmitt Bf 109 F [The 'G' model is horribly inaccurate]

1/72 bombers - yes a Hampden would be good as would a new tool Short Stirling and an Avro Lincoln. A new tool HP Halifax wouldn't go amiss.

Definitely an Avro Anson.

A new B-29/Washington would be cool as well.

In 1/48 I'd love to see a Supermarine Scimitar, a Hawker Nimrod and/or Osprey (they should have scanned them when they did the Brisfit at Shuttleworth), and a retool of the Seafire FR.47 for purely selfish reasons. The Blackburn Skua and Roc are pretty good in 1/72 and 1/48 at Special Hobby, so I don't see Airfix going there.

Can they upscale the Buccaneer scans to 1/48? Seems a plan.

How about a new Horsa glider to go with the Stirling.....

Finally, maybe an ABC set on a 1/72 Lancaster III. They did it to the B-17.

Having dipped their toes into the water with tiger and Shermancold_sweat is it time for Airfix to do a couple more ALLIED early war in 1/72.

Easy to pick a couple that are not available/or from the ark from other manufactures.

Matilda

Vickers VI

Obviously aircraft are the norm at the moment from airfix.

Lets support those restoration UK projects the Hampden and the Barracuda although a skua would great.

Fully with you on that! Please, please, Mr. Airfix, we don't ALL build WW2 'planes! I would like to see some of your veteran and vintage cars re-issued. Years ago, the Airfix Magazine was full of up-grades for the Model T Ford. Are you missing a trick by not issuing perhaps a Model T van, Black Maria, Model T for the desert, ambulance - all these and more were in the old magazines. It would be great to see the wonderful Mini you used to do, and the Morris Minor. They would sell to non-modellers who are fans of these cars.

It's got to be said as many have. But to complete the early war RAF medium bombers we definitely need a new tool Handley Page Hampden.

And to add to the early war air component then the Fairey Battle needs the new tool treatment as well.

I'll keep it simple with just the 2 requests rather than waffling on with unrealistic demands!

It's got to be said as many have. But to complete the early war RAF medium bombers we definitely need a new tool Handley Page Hampden.

And to add to the early war air component then the Fairey Battle needs the new tool treatment as well.

I'll keep it simple with just the 2 requests rather than waffling on with unrealistic demands!

T2B

Good strategy and good choices. I do really want to see that 1/72nd Hampden in the 2022 catalogue. The Fairey Battle would also be a good choice. Both have lots of history

As I have said elsewhere in this forum…Airfix has such a great number of vintage 1/72nd scale kits dating back to the mid-1950’s that just updating those kits with new molds is a monumental task….and at the same time they have to make some money or they won’t survive!

Cheers,

Tim

Yes Hurricane Boy I like to try and be realistic with my wishlist as I do despair with some requests for obscure models which may suit the originators interest but wouldn't sell in the volumes to be profitable 🤔!

I heard it somewhere that when Hornby took over they wanted to redo all Airfix's back catalogue, but as you say that would be a monumental undertaking and take far longer than the original catalogue, so much so I'll never see that day 🙁!!

Airfix has given us new 1/72

Bristol Blenheims, Mk.I and Mk.IV

Bristol Beaufighters Mk.X and Mk.TF.10

Bristol Beaufort

Next should be a Bristol Brigand and a Bristol Buckingham and maybe the Buckmaster as well

Three very over-looked types and hard to get in model form

And while I'm on about Bristol's, what about re-issuing the Belvedere as a Vintage Classic and maybe a new tool kit?

Airfix has given us new 1/72
Bristol Blenheims, Mk.I and Mk.IV
Bristol Beaufighters Mk.X and Mk.TF.10
Bristol Beaufort

Next should be a Bristol Brigand and a Bristol Buckingham and maybe the Buckmaster as well
Three very over-looked types and hard to get in model form
And while I'm on about Bristol's, what about re-issuing the Belvedere as a Vintage Classic and maybe a new tool kit?

Hi Frederick

I was hoping that AIRFIX might back fill the earlier Beaufighters with 1F/1C, IIF, VIF/VIC variants as well. These should be an easy go for them..

Agreed that Bristols had a strong showing in both aircraft and engines back in the day... the Bristol Olympus and Pegasus engines were real world beating technologies.

Tim