Membership

Malcy

I rejoined myself last night.

After selecting the community section of the website, as well as the link to the Forum, there is a link to the Collector Club. If you scroll to the bottom of that page, there is an icon to click called 'Renew'. Just follow that link.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not only overseas members that are affected by this. I've been a member since last November so am not due to renew for another 8 months. In the meantime my current membership is neither recognised nor linked to my account.

I phoned them a few weeks ago only to be told that that it's an ongoing issue which they're are hoping to have sorted by the end of this month. He didn't seem that sure though. An update on the situation from Hornby would be welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Pandy,

I'm not a member myself, but I believe you access the 'Club' via the 'Account Pages' once you log into the Hornby website. Once you have logged in, click 'My Dashboard' then 'My Account' followed by the 'Clubs' tab [see blue highlighting boxes in image below]. I suspect that the 'Clubs' tab will then give 'Club Members' further access to deeper club functions. You must have a 'Hornby Account' already set up as you wouldn't have been able to raise this question without one.

If your 'Club Membership' is not linked to your account. Then read the previous replies in this thread relating to club account linking issues, as your 'Club Membership' needs to be linked to your [same] Hornby Account before you can access it. The 'Club Membership' and the Hornby Account are interlinked and not separate entities, so if the person who purchased the 'Club Membership' for your 'son's' present did so through their own different account, then I suspect that the membership may be linked to their purchasing account and not yours. If that is the case, the purchaser may need to contact Hornby and ask if it can be transferred to your account.

forum_image_607039e51c93b.thumb.png.ce6605692db35b69f53eee54626d1cb0.png

As I have said previously, the link between Club membership and Hornby account is not working, though it might work for newly joined Club members, I don't know. I spoke to someone on the helpdesk about a month ago and was told it should be sorted by the end of the month. Well that has come and gone and it has still not been sorted out. I'm wondering/guessing that it might be related to the Brexit issues with overseas membership.

• 2 weeks later...
Any news on when the overseas membership will be available? It's been 3 months now since the Brexit crisis.

I'm not sure what the exact issue is regards Brexit? I've been able to rejoin the club for the blue box company without any problems with respect to the UK departure from the EU.

HK

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting. I checked with customer support 2 weeks ago and was informed that they are nearly there with a solution for over seas customers. This is just to get online shop pre orders shipped. No word on membership yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the problems today, you can now renew your membership online.

You can also buy the Rest of the World club membership.

There are a few other improvements to the Club page coming in the next few days but the basics are there and working.

We also are linking around 300 missing club memberships up to their owners - so by late tomorrow, I think those should all be solved.

Tim @Hornby

There still appears to be a grey area surrounding the European club membership which has its own application and pin badge, and a charge of 40 Euros or £35 as opposed to £30 for UK membership and £35 for the Rest of The World.

But whilst UK members will continue to have a 0-4-0 loco included as part of the membership package and Rest of The World members will pay a reduced purchase price separately if they wish to purchase the loco, nothing is said about the content of the European membership package.

Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see why component costs, badge, card, loco etc. can't be worked into the overall membership fee. Then the sum of individual component costs adds up the the membership fee. That should take care of customs value declarations, aside of any additional taxes/duty that may apply.

What has changed is that the UK no longer has the stability of the EU trade agreements. The UK govt is now gradually making piecemeal trade agreements with different countries/groups, whilst simultaneously seeking to change parts of the agreement it has already made with EU, thereby making trade anything but stable!

Obviously something about the loco (whether manufacture location, materials/components, definition of final product etc.) has attracted extra import/export/shipping costs. Therefore they had the option to either raise the cost of membership by almost a third, or keep the membership cost but charge the additional fees for the loco.

Confectioners have been keeping prices but reducing size/weight/contents for years, as costs/taxes/regulations change. Hornby have simply chosen to do something similar.

Anybody who imagined/believed that Brexit would simplify anything is now realising their delusion. Whether any long-term advantages will occur remains to be seen.