HM | DC user bug reports and suggestions for improvement

96RAF

OP6 - it would help diagnostics if you told of exactly which device you are trying to work with, iOS or Android for starters and which make/model at what revision.

Also how many of each module do you have 6000/6010.

Immediate advice is to check permissions on device, reinstall app, reset module using probe tool and relink.

OP6 - it would help diagnostics if you told of exactly which device you are trying to work with, iOS or Android for starters and which make/model at what revision.
Also how many of each module do you have 6000/6010.
Immediate advice is to check permissions on device, reinstall app, reset module using probe tool and relink.

I thought all of these were included in my initial post but ok, here we go again:

Android phone ( three of them actually, totally unrelated)

Current app available on play store v1.2(B61r1)

I have three 6000 and one 6010 all happily working until the update on 20 December

Since then ,the app would not connect the units to Bluetooth . Deleted the app. Reinstalled it . Now can't pair any of the units.

In mesh Bluetooth mode the app crashes when trying to do the scan, Tried three unrelated phones with the new app installed same result

In ble Bluetooth mode nothing is found. All permissions enabled.

Absolutely nothing have changed. Whatever the hornby morons did is responsible.

The modules have been reset using the reset button for 5 second. Relink not possible

Is that clear enough?

Also for all of those who said theirs worked how about deleting and re installing their app and then commenting how well it works. Otherwise, just don't comment with useless opinions.

You are a real bundle of fun.

Your distasteful remark about Hornby redacted. Your note to other folk offering assistance is not helping your problem either. Please keep discussions polite or your post is likely to be deleted in toto.

Your concerns have been flagged to Hornby but there will be no effort applied until after the holidays.

I have updated my app and see no problems with 4 x 6000 and 3 x 6010 modules.

You were requested to provide exact details of your handhelds but declined. Are you sure you have purged the modules from each device before attempting to reconnect.

A" bundle of fun" so calling names is allowed on you "forum"??? Very distasteful. The folk offering assistance? Did you even read their posts? Self inflicted? Don't be posting here , contact hornby? Well you clearly didn't read mine.

Correct me If I am wrong but I was under the impression that you wanted users to alert hornby of the problems with HM 6000. And that's what I did?

I have a problem. A real problem that I want sorted by the people who made it. And certainly not to hear that" my problem was self inflicted" whatever that means.

I declined to provide the details about my handhelds ? Are you sure about that? I edited the comment with the phone name but the post did not update. Are you so upset because I offended your masters?

I assume by "handheld" you mean the phone make? Redmi note 9 s

I don't know what purging the modules means. I uninstalled the app, reinstalled it, didn't see purging option anywhere.

Hi OP6,

Thanks for posting about the issue you are experiencing in this thread, Hornby have indeed requested such reports.

Everybody posting on this forum is (like yourself) a member of the public, with an interest in model railways, but not an employee of Hornby. Even the moderators are volunteers, who give their time out of a desire to see this forum thrive, and simply uphold rules as directed by Hornby.

(This info is given merely as an aid in assisting with understanding expectation of who you are ‘talking to’ & therefore the answers/responses you are likely to receive.)

It is completely understandable that you are experiencing frustration with non-working equipment. Please don’t take responses like ”mine is working” to be either jeering or critical of you - that is not how they are intended. Those type responses are simply to assist/inform Hornby (& all users) that the update is working on some devices, so that efforts can be focussed on isolating/identifying the cause of the issue that is affecting you - rather than wasting time looking for a general fault that could be ‘bricking’ all devices.

The request for which make & model of devices/handsets/phones/tablets you are using is to again assist with focussing efforts on cause(s) of fault. You’ve now identified experiencing the issue on the ‘Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S’ earlier you mentioned trying 3 different devices - were all 3 of these, the same make & model or were they different makes/models?

Also to aid in fault finding - which version of Android OS are you running on each of the 3 different devices?

Thanks again & please do believe that everyone on this forum wants everyone else to be able to enjoy their hobby & nobody is wishing to be anything less than helpful - most unfortunately sometimes misunderstandings do occur.

A mesh is comprised more than one module, hence my set up is in mesh mode. BLE mode is intended for a simple one module setup.

Purging means deleting all modules from every handheld device they have ever been linked to, as once a module is tagged by one device it becomes invisible to any other device. Using a probe to manually reset the device usually clears the tag.

You may like to scan for each module in turn to see if a particular module is being elusive.

If you have a problem with moderation or members attitude then there is advice in sticky posts about how this can be escalated.

OP6, my HM6000, will be arriving on 9th jan. You can put what i know about Bluetooth and mobile phones, on a postage stamp, and still have room. Fortunately, the fountain of knowledge on forum, mods and other learned souls, will i am sure, willingly and happily, assist me in my installation, as they did with Elink and Railmaster. I will not update, immediately as learned, the error of so doing, with Railmaster. As for reading instructions, that has never been my strong suit, preferring to learn by mistakes. If i have learned something from this thread, it is. I Must read , learn, and inwardly digest before playing. I am behind others, not by choice, but due to the make and model of my mobile phone. Hornby, boffins, have bent over backwards, to allow this app to now work, for which, i thank them.

"A mesh is comprised more than one module, hence my set up is in mesh mode. BLE mode is intended for a simple one module setup.

Purging means deleting all modules from every handheld device they have ever been linked to, as once a module is tagged by one device it becomes invisible to any other device. Using a probe to manually reset the device usually clears the tag.

You may like to scan for each module in turn to see if a particular module is being elusive.

If you have a problem with moderation or members attitude then there is advice in sticky posts about how this can be escalated."

Well that's what I thought, but unfortunately in mesh the app crashes so no way to progress.

In ble it doesn't find a single "purged" module, the scan is going on and on.

As stated in original post and the follow up, two of the four units have been reset using the button at the back, 5 seconds, so the blue light is off. I know what you are thinking: something has gone wrong with the phone, and it's reasonable but I took a different phone that has never had this app installed, installed and it is the same result: in mesh the app crashes when the search for units is initiated. Before that update I have never had any problems with this app. It was glitchy but nothing major.

I posted the crash report in my previous message and apparently it was not approved.

@OP6, 'Since then ,the app would not connect the units to Bluetooth . Deleted the app. Reinstalled it . Now can't pair any of the units.' Unless I am mistaken Bluetooth (BT)pairing is part of the phone OS. A corrupt BT connection is the likely cause of the app failure.When everything works correctly BT is a godsend but it doesn't always go to plan.

Example : my Alexa to AV unit. AV reports connected to Alexa, Alexa says no. Occasionally both connected but no sound, can take switching on/off a few times to get a working connection, this is devices 6ft apart.

@Simon

Tried it on two different phones , two different operators, the same result . Alexa , etc connects to Bluetooth, no issues. The modules are visible to phone Bluetooth.

Phone restarted

App reinstalled from play store

Absolutely ALL permissions granted

The layout is dead , no trains running...

@LT&SR

Both phones are Redmi Note 9s, one is the lower spec memory wise. Absolutely no issues with any other apps on them. Fully updated. Might have exaggerated about the third phone, didn't get to try it yet.

• Chipset: Snapdragon 720G (8nm): Octa-core (2x2.3 GHz Kryo 465 Gold & 6x1.8 GHz Kryo 465 Silver), Adreno 618 GPU.
  • Memory: 4/6GB of RAM; 64/128GB UFS 2.1 storage; dedicated microSD slot.
  • Battery: 5,020mAh; 18W fast charging.
  • Connectivity: LTE-A; USB-C; Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; dual-band GPS; Bluetooth 5.0; FM radio; IR blaster.
  • Misc: Side-mounted fingerprint reader; 3.5mm audio jack.

Trying to get a different make to resolve this , this is what I came down to.

The crash report mentions the following:

Java.lang.Security exception . Need BLUETOOTH _SCAN permission for android.content.

Now I have granted every permission on HM app, so what else can be done?

Update: just forced stopped and removed updates on the phone security app, no joy, the app still crashes, same crash report.

Could it be that this particular phone model has become unsuitable for hornby app since their update? Since no one else is complaining.

I am feeling OP6's pain. just dugout my HM6000 (2nd hand, reset it, solid red). Phone can see it, HM wont detect it by BLE or mesh scan.

HM DC v1.2 (B61r1)

Update: app settings within HM DC dont appear to work, had to enable location permissions for HM DC from system settings

Very poor documentation from Hornby : by default most people deselect location when prompted by apps, having to select location is not mentioned in any of the 'Hornby' getting started etc user guides.

suggestion for improvement: better documentaion