Aircraft Display Stands

Neil-1242796

Some Airfix model plane kits require two holes to be cut or drilled to accommodate aircraft stand AF1006 which the instructions state is sold separately. However I can't find it on the Airfix website and the only available stands are AF1008 which use a slotted connection. Can anyone direct me to where I could get the AF1006 type stands. Thank you

• 1 year later...
On 14/07/2022 at 22:46, pg-scout said:

The point is, if the instructions for a new release say that a particular stand is available separately then it should be.

I agree with you, I remember when stands were included. Airfix should update their instructions if they’re no longer available. I recently purchased a Jet Provost set from Aldi and the instructions state the AF1006 stand to be purchased separately, which I believed to be available from Airfix / Hornby. 

Aircraft stands are a bit of a Marmite subject among modellers - some love them, others never use them (a bit like pilots).

You can put your aircraft on any stand, slot or pin. I have used 1/24 stands to mount 1/48 Lightnings and Buccaneers. All that's needed is the right size (and shape) hole.  Don't be constrained, use your ingenuity!

• 2 weeks later...

Now this has become a very interesting thread for my current predicament ... how to mount a wheels up 1/72 scale B-17 Flying Fortress. I have both the Dogfight Double black two pronged stand that I can repurpose, but it looks as though it would just fold up under the weight. And I have a set of the clear old style stands, but do I want to cut a slot along the underside seam ... will this itself just break apart under the weight. What a dilemma 😳

I don't recall a stand ever breaking under the weight of the model but I do remember the model itself doing so. On quite heavy models such as the Hercules or Superfortress, or the 1/24 kits, the upper fuselage join would be the one that gave way. The stand slot is usually somewhere around the balance point of the model. So the weight of the extremities are all acting around it, like levers on a fulcrum in those newton-metres and kilogrammes things you used to have to solve in O-Level Physics.

The next place the model would split was along the lower fuselage join, because in working the model onto the lug atop the stand, you inadvertently weakened the join. 

The stands themselves are fine, I think you just have to reinforce the weak points during assembly. Displaying the aircraft on its gear solves the problem, but to my mind there is something odd in displaying a model of a flying thing to its worst advantage - standing on the ground, cockpit empty, not flying. It's as though you built a model of an E-Type and then displayed it up on bricks with the bonnet up and the engine in pieces around it. Each to their own obvs.... 

Have just found this excellent little stand for my B-17 from eModels, no holes or slots required. Unfortunately it's made in China but that is still the way of things.

IMG_1370.jpeg

IMG_1373.jpeg

I’m thinking of stocking up on a few more as they seem to have great versatility to fit most models  

• Like 2

That's quite neat. It's good that you don't have to glue the model on because it means you can repurpose it if you decide to change what's on display.

I'm a bit gutted that Airfix now appear to have lost both the original A-shaped Dogfight Double stands. There were always two, identical except one was larger for the post-WW1 era pairings. They came with two stand arm holes, one at the point and one in the crossbar of the A-shape. As well as appearing in the original DFDs, this stand was used for the 1/72 Hercules, with a different V-shaped support arm that located into both holes. In the 1990s, there was a release of the Red Arrows Hawk which featured two Hawks in one box and the smaller DFD stand, so you could display both models on it.  

By the early 2000s the DFDs were coming out with the smaller stand, the larger one having apparently vanished. It is frankly too small. The recent reissue of the Bristol F2B and Fokker DrI comes with no double stand at all, so even the small one seems to have disappeared. The current much larger DFD stand they use clearly wouldn't fit into the Vintage Classics box. 

It's a shame if these have gone for good, especially since they were never sold separately, meaning there has never been a time when you could stock up. I may have to look at casting these in resin or something.    

• Like 2