Latest acquisition

Ratch

I've managed to pick this treasure up at a charity shop, 1975 Ju88. The mouldings lovely and crisp, although it has raised rivet details. Paid £3 for it. Apparently they have been gifted a box of models that they need to go through. I'm just waiting for the nod as there's an Airfix Hampden in the box.forum_image_63c15d99d44a3.thumb.png.14dfdee844588b37c4cff64f9d4f0611.png

Most recent acquisitions from over Christmas. The Spitfire and '109 where a present from the local charity shop where my youngest works when they're home from Uni, and cost £9 each, The other Airfix kits were brought with Christmas money, or came in the Club renewal (I feel a double meteor build coming on!), the F/A-18 was a Christmas present from sister in law.

forum_image_63c52ec06492e.thumb.png.cbf743fc7e2b00f8107960972d687c4b.png

forum_image_63c52eccc71fd.thumb.png.8b44201c731f8561291373f079db19e2.png

forum_image_63c52ed9b24e5.thumb.png.07f61b4cf810a7008a7883408540be22.png

Hi folks.

Not kits right now I'm sorry to say but VMS varnish in matt, semi-matt and gloss flavours.

I've tried pretty much everything from other manufacturers but this VMS gear is seeing everything else staying put on the paint shelves.

It's a bit idiosyncratic and goes straight into the airbrush undiluted, which is particularly weird as it's like syrup that'll make you think 'that'll never get through a 0.4 nozzle'...but it does (about 25-30psi) .

The matt to date has dried dead flat with the all important attribute of no white specks and flecks appearing via micro-clumping of the matting agent. As an aside, when that's happened with other brands a light touch of Johnson's Klear kills the specks and a light overspray of the matt restores happiness to the bunker.

The VMS gloss needs to be put on as a 'bomb coat' that stops short of running and then put aside and not touched, looked at or even thought of for 24 hours. The net result has always been the most decal friendly surface I've ever tango'd with. Really marvellous stuff but as I say, specific in its needs.

As for new acquisitions - da boss has told me I can play with a 1/32 Kotare mid-production Spitfire Mk.I when they fly in from down under.

Happy days

Steve

Airfix Club package 2023!

Ordered Tuesday, 24/01/2023. And arrived on Friday as my renewal was due on that date! Lovely looking kit, and box is filled to the brim...

One massive negative though about the delivery (which has been reported to Airfix/Hornby customer services), Evri decided to just dump the parcel on my doorstep and not bother knocking on the door to let me know it was being delivered! Didn't even have any notification from Airfix that the parcel had been despatched. Not too happy about any of this really. Where I live, we seem to have a lot of doorstep parcel thefts, so I was lucky it was still there when I found it on the way out of my house at 16:45 to go and run some errands. Mind you, I suppose the other only positive, unlike a lot of my neighbours, at least they found the right house, on the right street! Half the time round here, they can't find the simplest of addresses correctly! I do wish Airfix/Hornby would get rid of Evri/Hermes as a delivery company, they really are the worst in the UK (offically as per a CAB survey in Nov 2022!)

My membership box (as illustrated in an earlier post!) was sent by Royal Mail as a 48 hour tracked parcel. I guess it's just the luck of the draw as to which parcel service is used. The problem is that Evri (and other couriers) are now - as I understand it - undercutting Royal Mail, so businesses will tend to use the less expensive option, which in turn threatens the future of Royal Mail, whose service is (or so I have found) invariably reliable. I guess if you're paying for postage on an item, you're entitled to get a reliable service, and if Evri costs less than Royal Mail, why is there only one postage rate quoted when making a purchase? And if the postage cost quoted is for a Royal Mail parcel, why use Evri at all? It's a bit of a conundrum...

If you choose to upgrade to express delivery service, instead of the standard service, that will be delivered by DPD. However... there have been quite a few times when ordering that the system has not allowed me to upgrade the delivery, and I've then raised this with customer service. Initially I was told to put it through, and then ring back when I received my oder confirmation and they would then be able to upgrade it manually, no problem. Put the order through, rang back - oh no, sorry we can't change your order once it's been processed, and cannot change the delivery type!

Several emails sent off at the time about that and have also now sent another about this latest farce of a delivery. When will they learn that this is having a detrimental effect on their company!

I recently got the Revell Shackleton MR.3 as a christmas present, just need the paints for it. so trip to my local model shop for some tamiya paints and maybe a model if the wife doesn't notice. Another I got at a carboot sale is a Hasegawa War Hawk in 1/72. Looks rather old so unsure if I should build it or not.