Latest acquisition

Ratch

I've just got back into Airfix after a 50 year break. My wife bought me the 1/48 scale Spitfire 12. I've now got HMS Fearless, the 1914 Dennis Fire Engine, and after joining the "club" the 1/48 Gloster Meteor. I've pre ordered the 1/24 Stuka. Trawling through eBay led me to the Dennis, and also coming via Royal Mail is the 1/24 Hurricane and the 1/72 Halifax.

This "new" hobby that I've talked about getting back into for years is getting expensive. Still, being a Gentleman of leisure now I must admit that I am enjoying it.

Sadly, I think this year will not feature much plastic being boughtcry

My other, large time wasting(!) hobby is PC gaming. 3 Years ago, in Jan 2020, I updated my gaming PC with some fairly beefy components, and fairly high end stuff at the time. The rig it was replacing had lasted nearly 9 years, with just a few bits replaced - extra storage, extra RAM, new graphics card; but in the whole, it had lasted fairly well. But the time had come, to do a fairly major rebuild (nothing survived except the storage drives...)

Fast forward to Jan 2023,and I had started to replace little bits - extra storage, new graphics, new cooler for the CPU, nothing too major. However, over a couple of weeks, an annoying tapping/clacking noise had made itself known. Hours of diagnostics followed. Tracked it down to a small, cheap, plastic fan that cooled some small motherboard components.

For a really expensive, top end motherboard, it was let down by a cheap plastic fan that failed! Worst of all, it could not be replaced. Lots of research showed many users in the same position. And... the same part number from the fan was being used across multiple iterations of the fan, all with different configurations. So could not identify the correct part! The manufacturer would not replace, as their argument was that this part was not a "user-replaceable part".

Ah well, time for another upgrade methinks.. So I've updated my gaming rig with new motherboard, new processor, new memory. Apart from a slight hiccup (tends to happen with new tech) system is running smooth as silk. Downside - no buying any new models until this lot is paid off!

• 2 weeks later...

Just visited Newark air museum shop. Lots of vintage kits for sale.

Managed to find the first airfix kit I ever built.

The 1/72nd Hellcat in blue plastic. This kit kickstarted a life time of modelmaking. I made a complete mess of it in 1969. Its time to make it properly. This will be a trip down memory lane.

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes wonder whether vendors actually look at the kits they're selling when listing on e-bay. This one was described as -

Unused and new, box has some wear

forum_image_640b7a1d2e2c0.png.a8e267bffd456274ca0bb889df1c7bf0.png

The box is fine, but they never looked inside.

forum_image_640b7a2031c34.png.73d2b60c1b976a7d4662a741272bf4ae.png

The Jeep is built, as is one side of the Buffalo, plus, the tracks are joined. Who knows whether it's complete. I got a full refund.

I've had the same problem as well ratch, but like you always got a refund back.

i got the old dambuster set that came with the lancaster started and bits missing had to get another old lancater to use for bits but the 1:48 tornado was all there.

even had a set come with a kit missing and photographs of people inside and that was put as still factory sealed.

Ayup All…

Santa Maria and The Mayflower… thought I was short a piece of the Mayflower as I hadn’t noticed the blister was cracked under some tape, but I took it home in a bag and the part was within that, so lucky…I want the Airfix Titanics, but I have ten others already !