Latest acquisition

Ratch

I have built both of the Airfix Swordfishes, new and old tool, and the Matchbox kit but not the Tamiya one. The new tool Airfix one is very good.

I’ll second that , I like the newer Airfix kit, I’m building 7 or 8 of them.

the Tamiya kit is a different scale .

Randall

Just received this in the post! I wasn’t prepared to pay the silly money being asked for an original one, so worth waiting for the re-issue of this Vintage Classic version of the Auster. It definitely comes with wheels, so I’ll have to work out what else I need to do in the way of modifications to build it as a 653 Squadron AOP as flown in Tunisia in 1943.

forum_image_648b06096834e.png.c32c6f9abeff9421292861e689693327.png

Have wanted this for a wee while, the most iconic of spacecraft, fictional or otherwise. Not the biggest version (or most expensive version). Space 1999 is on ITVX at the moment and after re-watching Series One just had to get one! Series Two, well that's another story.

Andy

forum_image_648ccdc751bc8.thumb.png.99f73b4caf0bd332873aa82fb88cbf5c.png

Saw the post from Dave Bush... I'd been reading “Above the Battle”, in which Lyell Munro writes about his experiences having joined 'C' Flight, 653 Squadron in April 1943, flying an Auster in an Air Observation Post Squadron. The ‘blurb’ goes on to mention: “Flying from airstrips just behind the front lines, without armament and often with no parachute, they controlled the fire of hundreds of guns and their enemies learnt to dread the sight of the little green Austers in the skies above the battlefield.” The squadron was in Normandy in late June 1944, which is why I wanted to do a military Auster.

I’ve also seen a watercolour by David Shepherd of an Auster with a couple of soldiers brewing-uo in front of a truck. The picture is given the title ‘654 Squadron Auster mkIII in Tunisia 1943’ and actually would make a great diorama if I can find the right truck model!

So Wiki suggesting that the Auster was only in service post-1945 is strange - it's not like Wiki to get things wrong.....

Happy birthday me. The Westland Whirlwind has been unwrapped and I’m eager to get stuck in. I know it’s just a wee kit but as has been discussed lately on the forum, your mojo sometimes needs a boost.

And eat cake!! 🥳🍰🍜🍫👍🤪

Well, if I'm going to build 'old school/old moulds' Vintage Classics, I thought I'd better see how it was done back in the day, so I found these available for not very much money. Reading them makes you realise just how lucky we are to have the accuracy and finesse and fit of new moulds, and also how fortunate we are to have the materials and tools and accessories so readily and relatively cheaply available as they are!forum_image_64a96c156e137.png.e9b1345d6c6459d0b1baaeea73838dcb.png

Having said that, there is much in them both which would still be of use to the current modeller (as opposed to the straightforward kit builder - although there's nothing wrong with that at all...)

• 2 weeks later...

Some new acquisitions to enable continuation of my RAF Warmwell project. I’ve made a kind of policy decision to try to confine myself to Airfix products – who knows, someone at Head Office might decide to reward my loyalty with a freebie!

Anyway, on a more serious note, the latest batch includes:

Hurricane IIB which will be built as HH-A BE687 as flown by 175 Squadron during Operation Jubilee (Dieppe in August 1942);

P38J Lightning, which will be finished as 42-67799 of the 429th FS, 474th Fighter Group;

and finally (obtained at rather too large expense!), a Lysander which will be produced as one of the 277 Squadron aircraft, specifically BA-E V9547

On the subject of the Lysander, I’ve very vague recollections of someone producing a resin (or it might have been 3D printed) underwing life-raft ‘pod’, but I can’t find any reference to it, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

forum_image_64b92db0eaedf.png.38d69a522f43a2ab1e4fe3ad98ff3e01.png

Some new acquisitions to enable continuation of my RAF Warmwell project. I’ve made a kind of policy decision to try to confine myself to Airfix products – who knows, someone at Head Office might decide to reward my loyalty with a freebie!

Not sure, I just built 8 Swordfish and three more here and recently built 8 Martlets. All I have to show for it is a bunch of fantastic models...

Randall