Latest acquisition

Ratch

Several bits and pieces...

From Antics in Bristol - 1/72 Revell MR.3 Shackleton & 1/48 FAA Corsair III. Direct from Airfix the post war release of the 1/72 Tempest MK V, and the 1/72 PR. XVI Mosquito.

The Tempest is coming to the top of the build list... Back when I was a lad, and not that long ago either to those in the cheap seats commenting otherwise(!!!) I happened to be a member of the local Air Training Corps unit, 80(Bolton) Sqn, and we adopted the same sigil in our sqn emblem as 80 Sqn RAF, a bell. There maybe more of a historical connection, but it was never explained to us at the time. So there is a definite reason for wanting to build the kit, and for wanting to buy it in the first place.

It's stuff like this, that helps keep the old modelling juices flowing and helps to keep the dreaded mojo loss away.

Hi PMM.

That J1Ni Gekko is a real find, a rare plane indeed. I've been looking for a kit of the aircraft since the 60's, never knew anyone made a model of it, lucky you..

I was thinking only last night that there always seems plenty of twins of USA, UK,& German WW2 aircraft, but nothing or very few Japanese, French or Italian twin engine aircraft. i know the French were famous for building some of the most ugly aircraft to fly, but it seemed they learnt very quickly and went on to produce some really beautiful and photogenic aircraft of WW2. Like the Amiot 350 series, the Leoire & Olivier LeO 451, the Breguet 693, even some of the later Bloch (174 & 175) series Dewoitine and Hanriot were showing some French flair. then there's the beautiful Potez 63 series which unfortunately suffered a lot from friendly fire due to being mistaken for an Me 110. Heller made a beautiful model of the Potez 63:1 and the 63:11 if you ever see them, grab them you won't be sorry.

Remember we do this for fun John the Pom

Hi John,

I agree, it is difficult, but not impossible, to get anything really that is not British, American or German from WWII. If it's Russian, Japanese, French or Italian it can take some searching to get what you want.

Anyway, the Gekko is the old Fujimi kit from the 90's reboxed with new decals from Hobby 2000. It's a nice kit with recessed panel lines, but not much cockpit. Cost wasn't too bad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...