Latest acquisition

Ratch

The Hunter kit is a thing of rare beauty that I would love to have built (badly) back in the day. Perhaps it's as well that my lack of pocket money allowed some to survive.

I did get to view the example that the aerodynamics research folk flew over Fife in 1982, from the air, as I strived to master the Bulldog. It was notably graceful even though a fair age by then. Amazing that they were still learning from it after many years service.

I've been on the lookout for one of these for a few months now. Most seem to go for £50-60+ on e-bay, a bit too much for me. But I managed to bag this one for quite a bit less. I can't remember exactly when I built this before - it was first issued in 1965 - but I certainly did make one, so I shall relive my youth with it.

53525975794_269060a904_z.jpg

On 2/13/2024 at 12:15 AM, Ratch said:

I've been on the lookout for one of these for a few months now. Most seem to go for £50-60+ on e-bay, a bit too much for me. But I managed to bag this one for quite a bit less. I can't remember exactly when I built this before - it was first issued in 1965 - but I certainly did make one, so I shall relive my youth with it.

53525975794_269060a904_z.jpg

WOW .... I've been after one for donkey's years ........ Lucky you.  I built one some time around 1970 .... it was amazingly detailed for the time.  I think you can get a vacform shroud to cover the open base .....but then you lose all the detail .....

• Thanks 1

I know it’s a bit of theme at the moment, for obvious reasons, but I’ve had my purchase of a B-17 Flying Fortress in plan since visiting Thorpe Abbotts early last year … honest 😊

I’ve just constructed the interior and bomb bay, and so far the quality of this kit is fantastic. I can’t now wait for the release of the B-24 Liberator to complete my little Eighth Airforce Project!

B17.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

From e-bay, I was expecting these -

53611060344_e7df4b3c5e_z.jpg

but these were included too

53610937873_1fff1206fa_z.jpg

53611060289_0c352e2ab9_z.jpg

The Airfix 54mm pieces will be renovated or put into spares, The other two are about the same size, del Prado Italian Carabiniers 1812-15 and are metal - nice pieces if outside my normal sphere of interest,

Not a ship I know ...... but just ordered this.  I've been after one for a good 50 years but always baulked at the fact that the only one available was to 1:72.  At least I don't have to build an extension to my house for the 1:144 version.   Hope it get here soon......

Boxart Convair B-36D/F/H/J Peacemaker 337 Roden

• Like 1

On 26/03/2024 at 13:14, Nick Andrews-Faulkner said:

A thing of beauty at a very good price when combining the Spring Offer and some accumulated Hobby Points.

Big Bucc.JPG

I've just got that too (though from a forum's for sale thread).  I used my hobby points and the Spring Offer to get the D-Day Overlord Diarama for £20 (instead of £70).

Edited by Graham-1306256

I've recently returned from helping a family member move house and in the 'for disposal' pile what should I find but the little Airfix Starter Set of the Boulton Paul Defiant. This was one of the multitude of Airfix kits I gifted to all my family and friends one Christmas after settling on this as a theme for that year's festive gifts! I do love a theme. P.S. I also found the socks from the following year! 😂

So, my latest acquisition is now this Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant, the British aircraft with the most claimed kills per squadron at Dunkirk - 53 versus 28 for the Spitfire and 20 for the Hurricane. 

IMG_0858.jpg.dbc2bd2abbe3195beb7fd0187470875e.jpg

This was possibly the second model I built on my return to 'full time' scale modelling in June 2020 and which I still have gathering dust in my collection. Back then I used a brush and Humbrol enamel paints while sat at the dining room table. I'm just itching now to see what I can do with this lovely little kit from my purpose built loft workshop with acrylic pigments, clear canopy glue and an airbrush 😊

• Like 1

Freshly minted repop

This beastie just landed. I’ve already got one I built ages ago and recently refurbished. I don’t really need another MkV for my 1940 obsession, but there’s a conversion kit by Flightpath to make a Tiger radial engined MkII or III. They were still lumbering about in the training role into 1940.

Decision, decisions… 

• Like 2

This one just flew into my study this morning.  Been after one for years. I finally decided to go for the 1:144 kit.  The 1:72 version with a 3 foot wing span was a bit to big to fit in any of my display cabinets ...... still it can sit to my other 1:144 airliners.

Such a weird plane - 6 propellors and 4 jets!

box-art.jpg

Edited by Sailorman
Corrected number of props

At last - a recently engineered and moulded model! Keeping involved in my early jet aircraft mini-project, I've just received this Supermarine Swift FR5 - looking forward to a model that doesn't need too much doing to it! Mind you, if anyone has built one recently and has any useful hints and tips, I'd appreciate your input...

superswift.jpg.329a571a824efab3701f8fafda41e52d.jpg

• Like 1

A bit different from a kit, after a few conversations about where to put built bombers and not having much room Dominic asked me what my solution would be as it needed to fit under the eves of the roof as they slope steeply.IMG_7419a.thumb.jpg.ab466bf3a7b414982da2a593e823fe2b.jpg

I've taken a chance and got the KALLAX unit from ikea its layed on its side and fits nicely under the eves, each square is 33.5 X 33.5 cm and 38cm deep and you can get glass shelfs with a glass door to slide in to the individual squares if they turn out to still not fit in there I've at least got some space on top of it for some now

• Like 1