Hollybush Railway - TT120 layout photos

Dave the Busker

Looking good Dave. I had been out of it a while, the skills come back and new ones learned 😀. Is one of those shops a reference to ‘The Stranglers’ tracks of the same name?

I like the feeling of a railway that is right in the heart of an urban environment that you are creating. Quite different to my efforts.

Apparently the name of a real life music venue can't possibly be allowed on the Hornby forums... Post rejected any time I've had it's actual name anywhere in the text

Cheers Rallymatt. As far as I know it does take its name from the song. It's a real music venue here in Glasgow, my band perform at it quite often and I play the open mic every Monday, so I had to have a 1:120 scale version of it.

Top tip for the early days of TT120 as Hornby don't have much out yet and things of different eras will come in dribs and drabs. Pop a TARDIS on your layout, run any combination of locos and rolling stock you like, and tell anyone who says it's not consistent that it's in a state of temporal flux but The Doctor's working on it... joyforum_image_63e4e0eb25ffa.thumb.png.2459ba30e59253d465966e0f8b2b454e.png

It's named after the village, my Grandparents lived there and I spent a lot of time there as a kid. The layout is probably going to wind up closer to what I see everyday around Glasgow, although a very fictionalised version.

It's a lovely Village. Spent a couple of weeks up at Hollybush House in 2018 loved walking around the area and down by the Doon

I've got Blink Bonny back after something glitched last week. Everything's running beautifully at the moment so fingers crossed it's all good. I've been getting some ideas for the photography competition in the 2nd issue of the TT120 magazine. Deadline's not till September though, so plenty of time to add more detail and finish the scenery off.

(Apologies if this double posts, internet connection's been funny today)

forum_image_63f79c1fdc4e6.thumb.png.ee7b846171aaf4ef4af2a11dc8a5801c.png

forum_image_63f79c2fd1575.thumb.png.ae9fa7fe6b836c281beff47588a2c099.png

forum_image_63f79c3e8bdde.thumb.png.1371e659ae6450be9da93e4592f7add3.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well I don't think any carpenters will be losing sleep at the thought of me taking their work, but for a first attempt at anything like this in years I think this new baseboard table has turned out not too bad. 8 foot by 4, so plenty of space to get a really good layout set up.

forum_image_6403a30d6acb2.thumb.png.1fb186af4cb91ab08b4c8f009ce49b34.png

I've got the track set up on the new board in the configuration it was in on the old board. I'm not pinning anything down just yet or adding much in the way of scenery until I've started expanding the track and made a final decision on how that's going to be set out here. After all I've spent in the last wee while I might have to take the next steps a bit more slowly, but here's how things are looking at the moment.forum_image_64047156d0572.thumb.png.f82c5c205aab7ee1f38d7b586dbc00c3.png

A decent amount more area to play with. Big advantages to taking a slowly approach at moment, you can play about with ideas and try things without a big commitment. Some of us have done that for years already so looks like we make rapid progress but it’s been 40 years of preparation 🤣

Yeah, totally. No rush to do anything much more now. I've got some software I've been playing around with track plans (RailModeller Pro), so I've got some idea how things could progress with the extra space. After the teething problems I had with Blink Bonny having to go back twice I'm just enjoying watching everything running perfectly just now. Looks like everything's doing exactly what it's supposed to and long may that continue!

I did have a look at the shop to get some extra straight track, but saw it's sold out just now. I'm choosing not to see that as a frustration slowing down progress here but as a great sign of how many people are getting into the TT120 line.

I am finding the A4 is getting better and better with running, just like the real thing! How this is common across all of the Hornby TT:120 models. An enforced pause can give you time to think too. Yes brilliant attitude towards track sold out, it’s going well which will give Hornby tremendous confidence in getting the range bolstered ASAP 😁

I wonder if there is much track on eBay etc from people who have split the sets? I still can’t get over how crazy good value a set was.