Hollybush Railway - TT120 layout photos

Dave the Busker

Actually, scratch that. It ran forward for one loop of the layout, then started to slow. Now it's back to not moving either way. Urgh, back to Hornby. Scunner that it went on a bank holiday and no one will be on the phone in the repairs department until Tuesday.

Have you run it without the body on Dave to see what is happening with the motor and the worm drive to the gears?

Could also be worth popping the brushes out to see if they are misaligned and catching in the edges of the commutator (the contact strip on the motor armature for those not familiar with these terms)

Not a bad idea, I didn’t even remove body on mine because I don’t have a suitable tool to remove the rod fixing and not about to start butchering stuff and then expect warranty! Over the years I have had loads of locos apart, but not usually until they were a few years old

Great photo’s. I’m just at the early stage of buying plywood for a baseboard & wondered what size was the baseboard for Hollybush, which looks an interesting layout with good views of urban scenery. I’m thinking 6’4” by 3’6. I notice Hollybush has a straight in the curved sections suggesting slightly wider than the 40” in Hornby’s the trackmat layout.

Thanks

Paul White

Great photo’s. I’m just at the early stage of buying plywood for a baseboard & wondered what size was the baseboard for Hollybush, which looks an interesting layout with good views of urban scenery. I’m thinking 6’4” by 3’6. I notice Hollybush has a straight in the curved sections suggesting slightly wider than the 40” in Hornby’s the trackmat layout.

Thanks

Paul White

That's Blink Bonny away to Hornby for a service. It's annoying that I've had issues with it, but at least Hornby are very good about seeing that it gets sorted. Got to say, shout out to Matt on the phone at Hornby for managing to cope with someone with both a heavy Scottish accent, and so full of the cold just now my voice is barely audible and about three octaves lower than normal! joy

I agree, it’s looking very good. I presume when the competition says ‘diorama’ it could be a complete layout or a small scene. So even if people haven’t got a full layout ‘finished’ (as if they ever are 🤣) there is scope to work on a small area and pop an entry in