Hollybush Railway - TT120 layout photos

Dave the Busker

Cheers! I'll try and bear that advice in mind, hopefully it all goes well. I'm taking it all very slowly today, gluing small sections of track just now then testing when it's starting to hold but not set so much I can't adjust things. I'm about 3/4 of the way round with the glue. Hopefully start a bit of ballasting tonight, then I've got until about 5 tomorrow before I need to leave to play a ceilidh gig. Doubt I'll get it all done this weekend, but nice to make a start on it.

Left it to dry overnight, but I think I must have over diluted the pva/water mix as it still hadn't set this morning. Not really happy with how that section looked today anyway, so hoovered up and try again. Dundee drew, so the league's going down to the last day. Hopefully my team Ayr can get a result today and I can get the hang of ballasting!

I favour a pva/water mix 30/70. It can take a while to dry particularly if it’s not very warm. A drop of WUL in the mix helps the mix run into the ballast. A pre damping with water is usual, but as I am typing this I wonder if putting the WUL in the pre damping spray would be better?

Ballasting takes practice of course. I fear you may have a few too many grains on top of sleepers and on the insides of the rail which may interfere with the flanges. Did you give the rails a gentle tap before letting in the glue? It literally bounces loose grains off the sleeper tops.

I use approx 60/40 water/PVA ratio - thinner than I use for grass scatter etc.

This is N gauge track post ballasting and weathering. Code 55 rail so also needs to ensure no grains on top of sleepers :)

forum_image_644d1c6d142bb.thumb.png.104d26589c72de007cb3a54c9bf79d09.png

Loving the springtime trees, I’ve noticed so many layouts doing a more seasonal feel recently and it adds something extra. Will you have some trees with leaves yet to open? I haven’t decided when to set my layout yet but I do like the ideas of yellow fluff for daffodils!

Long term (probably very long term), I might get enough seasonal trees that I can swap them round for the time of year. Cost is what's making that a long term ambition, it'll likely stay spring here for a while.

(Always just coming up on Spring, but never quite getting there, just like the 08 shunter release date... joy)

I've been buying them, not sure how to go about making my own just now. Annoyingly, I've got Blink Bonny to sort out again first. It had been running fine for ages, then today it stalled when I went to reverse it. The wheels span for a moment without the loco moving, then it seized up. I think the wheels have come out of alignment.

Hmmm sounds very similar to what I had on my A4s.

Trees are a doddle, especially for someone with your skills. 😁 I use woodlands Scenics tree armatures, pack of 70 £15, paint them, open shape out, tear some foliage sheet (WS again) and mould over branches, some let down pva, dab about, sprinkle some of the bits that fall off or blended turf and spray with some more watered down pva to fix

obviously chose colourings not suit 😁