Hollybush Railway - TT120 layout photos

Dave the Busker

Posted (edited)

Picked this up for Β£2 on eBay. Matchbox 1/124 double decker bus. Looks like the advertising signs are holding the roof on, so there's a little project for when I've got some spare time. I'm going to try taking it apart to add some passengers, change the ad to something more Scottish and repaint it to a livery more suited to my layout's location, either SPT or Western Busses.large.HollybushRailway-1.jpeg.9d14014b4203458052c5bea00dde8e2c.jpeg

Edited by Dave the Busker
typo
  • Like 2

Nice find. Matchbox toys of that era generally had a tab and a rivet to secure two parts together, I’d be very surprised if the side sticker is holding the two parts together (result if it is). The tabs can be disguised as number plates or centre bumper sections. Glazing and painting that could turn out a really nice model 😁 Great bad weather projectΒ 

I'd watched a couple of videos on restorations of these models while I was waiting for it to arrive, so I was expecting a rivet but didn't see one. There's definitely some movement around the side stickers, so I think perhaps someone's had a go at it some time in the past and taken the rivet off and stuck it back together. I've got the perfect bad weather for a rainy day project right now if I had the time to work on it todayΒ πŸ˜‚

• Like 1

Had a quick look, and sadly it's not just held on by the side ads, no such luck. I presume the rivet is in the same place as in the videos I'd watched, but it looks to be covered over by a metal plate I can't easily move. Ah well, everything else can wait until I've more time.

One little job I can do on it today is to turn it from a London Tour bus into the 52 to Dalmellington I used to take to Hollybush to see my grandparents, and have the ads be for my band and my family's old picture framing business. (don't worry mods, that's not actually advertising anything for sale here now, Burns Gallery closed about 20 years ago!)

large.Chippedbus.jpeg.a47d092c2effdda2e0899524211640be.jpeglarge.Gallerybus.jpeg.0d428c8969a428331e7f16efd33f8ffc.jpeg

• Like 4

Picked up some very cheap N gauge figures on eBay. Had fairly low expectations for them, but only really intending for them to be used in places where they wouldn't be seen much, just to suggest the presence of people, bus passengers for example. They arrived this afternoon, and while they're no match at all for the detail of something like Noch, they're actually not as bad as I was fearing. A few of them are now on board the Oxford Diecast bus, a couple more on the Matchbox, a few on the platform at Dalrymple. Help make the place feel more inhabited without having to splash out the budget for more detailed ones just now.large.12D703A3-A9B1-4A49-B0EC-B5FC584763D9_1_201_a.jpeg.c07b31dc756dcedc43ca73d626f08e74.jpeglarge.HollybushRailway-1.jpeg.028a04efec23f361c3fdf3f6fbfa2d37.jpeg

• Like 5

A new bakery just opened up on the High St... Another Metcalfe N kit that doesn't seem too small (to me at least) for TT. I wonder if, even if they aren't considering a TT:120 specific range, if they might think about marketing their N kits as N/TT in a similar way to the way some get marketed as H0/00.large.HollybushRailway-1(1).jpeg.321cf7e67cf46f62270bd90fb5abd8d1.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...