HM7000 decoders released?

Rallymatt

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rarewaves on EBay have over 1.1million items available on their store with a 96% positive feedback rating. I’d say it’s likely they aren’t involved in anything nefarious but likely buy up huge quantities of stock from other sources. It may be that they haven’t done their homework and not realised this stock is likely dodgy.

The HM7000 decoders on Amazon now show as out of stock, so it’s likely that they’ve had a call to inform them of the situation.

That lucky chap Andy at Modeloco on YouTube has got his hands on a Next 18 sound chip;

Unless this is something that Hornby have given him, to make a video about an unreleased and seemingly unauthorised acquisition of this product seems unwise.

You guys crack me up.

Of course he’s got it from Hornby 🤦‍♂️

Out of all the YouTubers reviewing the new TT stuff, this guy Andy from Modeloco & also Simon from Simons Shed are by far the most positive about TT120, they may not be the biggest, but they’re a lot more approachable than most especially for new-comers/returners to the hobby.

saying that I wouldn’t be surprised if Sam got one soon as well for one of his reviews whereas Sneering Charlie might get left out in the cold. Not that I think he’d be bothered.

I’m with 96RAF on this one. If Hornby send you a product to test that is unreleased, there is no doubt that it comes with strict instructions to keep quiet about it.

Also, when you do get a product to test and you are allowed to share it publicly, there is usually some acknowledgment of this in this video. “Hornby have kindly sent me this product to test” etc etc, then some info about official release dates towards the end of the video.

I don’t see the point of sending a sound decoder to an ‘influencer’ before the app is released to show its true worth. Certainly the testing team knew nothing about his review.

As for ‘influencing’ - I was influenced to stop watching after less than 30 seconds.

I don’t see the point of sending a sound decoder to an ‘influencer’ before the app is released to show its true worth. Certainly the testing team knew nothing about his review.
As for ‘influencing’ - I was influenced to stop watching after less than 30 seconds.

Me and at least 3 guys over on the 120 forum page went straight to the website and pre-ordered one.

and as the TT120 club now has over 15’000 members I’d bet we won’t be the only ones.

just because you don’t like or understand something doesn’t mean it’s not relevant 😁

I’m with Steve and almost switched it off during his raucous intro, but plodded on scan watching to see what ensued.

When he got to the app comes later I thought what’s the point. It is simply a decoder with a factory sound set used for production testing that can be used on DCC. Not much he can do with it. He can’t even update it to latest spec, so it could be buggy.

Without the user manual he would have no idea of the full or even any capability, and he would have no knowledge of which CVs to tweak and their setting values.

As for influencing folk, I would be peeved and asking Hornby if he can have one without the app why not me who has pre-orders in.

As to disclosure the test team were told that before any info was posted in the public domain it had to be cleared either by the project manager or marketing.

It wasn’t a bad event by any means. Andy is enthusiastic about TT120 and an engaging person. Even without full access to all the decoders ability it still impresses. It would have been better with an app access to show the true potential of HM 7000. The choice was down to Hornby. That said, the marketing at Hornby does not seem planned or consistent. The product plan is great, the desire is undoubted but the delivery of a coherent strategy does appear wanting. The frankly less than amateur effort in TT Talk (now pulled) does suggest lack of marketing direction.

Glad I’m not the only one unimpressed. And agree useless without the App which we’ve seen all about officially anyway.

I don’t believe he told me anything I didn’t already know and 99% of what I know is in the public domain and I’ve shared here.

But without being in any way critical, if someone like Peachy who is on here regularly found info he hadn’t already seen, then it was of some use.

Then I’m not convinced SK has the best marketing advice if this was thought a good way to get out more info.

And just by the by - pssssst - they’re not released yet.

It seems to me that if Hornby are going to send out new HM7000 decoders for people to test you’d also send them a working version of the app, so that they could thoroughly test the entire system.

You’d also have to be known to Hornby, and I think to a degree, the community too. They aren’t going to pick some random YouTuber and send one. If Hornby entrusted a known YouTuber with new products, no sensible person would break that trust for a few clicks and views.