Any one have recommendations for starter storage kit for paints , glues , tools

Thank you for reading this ..just picked up modelling again after a break for 50 years ….I’m now finding after 3 months my desk looks like a ww2 battle field with paints , tools , glue etc no matter how hard I keep organising on the desk…any one got suggestions for storage to start me off please …. Can we keep it to say a starter set that I can expand / add to .

Thanks for any suggestions and recommendations

Regards From Dartmouth Devon

Hi CIG

Hornby/Airfix sell a desk tidy through this website. Personally I keep my modelling (and artistic work generally) to a desk which is invariably messy with numerous kits and paintings on the go at once but I do use the draws to keep all of my paraphernalia tidy.

A little while ago I bought a large box of drawers for storing nuts & bolts etc in Homebase. It contains -60 drawers each with a partition.

I found it ideal for paint and tool storage. It can be wall mounted or freestanding.

You should be able to find it on their website to see if it’s suitable.

Dominic

have a look under humbrol techniques tips & craft and look for heading tools and things we use when building, a few of us put some ideas in there on what we use and what for.

as ratch says you will stop building your tools and paints up let alone the amount of kits you get and put away for another day

paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Like many others storage and organising the paraphernalia of model building became, almost, a hobby in itself. I probably spend almost as much time "sorting out" my gear as I do building and painting. To be honest I quite enjoy making my own storage utilising things like biscuit tins (being a Scot I find the shortbread tins from a certain well established grocer to be ideal) along with some strong corrugated cardboard and a hot glue gun to be ideal. They also stack nicely and allow a bit of space saving.

• 1 month later...

I have bought/kept tins of biscuits and chocolates from Christmas (after the biscuits/chocolates are eaten); one for paints and one for tools and glues and one for each unfinished model/sub-assemblies/sprues/decals/instructions. I use bubble wrap from deliveries to prevent rattling about inside the tin and breaking arials and propellor blades. The only thing that won't fit in a tin is my cutting mat.

I find garden centres and home products centres often have a sideline somewhere in tins of various sizes to suit. I use tins without hinges for the lids so the lid doesn't get in the way sticking up and the lid can be used as a tray too.

• 1 month later...

I make use of some discarded household tools such as cartons, cardstock or discarded boxes to make a toolbox with many compartments for easy organisation. I also use Plastic storage bins with lids to store items like paints, glue, and spare parts. This will keep them organized and easy to find, while also protecting them from dust and other debris. Another choice is Magnetic strips that can be useful for storing metal tools like scissors and tweezers. You can attach them to the edge of your desk or even on a nearby wall. If you're short on desk space, consider installing some wall-mounted shelves to store your supplies. This can also help keep items within reach but off your workspace. You can learn others methods here: You can refer to many methods here: https://www.homeedmag.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Same for me, returning after a long, long break in modelling.

These are good. "2 tier stackable craft storage box"( I have multiple ). Got them from Amazon . Then took some removable separators from a cheap craft box from HobbyCraft and cut some long side cardboard from an amazon envelope to create the separators.

This gives me a layer for paint, a layer for tools and a separate compartment for models currently "in construction".Little sticky dots on the paint lids help identify the paint number.

forum_image_65a2a9068c8dc.thumb.png.bca7abfa3bde60863ca941ffb3eba8f1.png

forum_image_65a2a91045cde.thumb.png.6011a7fc45acfb961418b503c067e3e0.png

forum_image_65a2a91a0dbce.thumb.png.67068bbc66315755465f40a39474a33c.png

forum_image_65a2a92391fe2.thumb.png.fa8bab93a03124943c7727511c03a116.png

forum_image_65a2a92d4fcd8.thumb.png.71c51f1b4ae85a83e372cb80ed0f274c.png