Linking HM7000 decoders to the wrong app - Don’t do it.

96RAF

Some users have been linking their HM7000 decoders to the analogue HM6K app in error.

If you have done this you will have to unlink the decoder and delete it from that app before you can connect with the correct app which has not been released yet.

You will also have to reset the decoder using the specific reset code generated when you link to the app. The likelihood is you will already have mislaid that code and will have to apply to HM.customercare@hornby.com for a one-use replacement code. It may be possible to arrange a temporary time limited reset code if several users end up in this unfortunate position.

I repeat the HM6K will not control your decoders and the HM7K app is not yet available at this time and date.

The scan code has been amended to direct folk to the decoder manual download area in support.

This might be a daft question but ill ask anyway...

So ive got a loco working on HM7K ( when the app comes ) with a TXS decoder fitted.

If i sell the loco / decoder I'll have to remove it from the app.

Would the new user be able to generate the code to link it to there app or would they need to email for a code?

Have a read of the instructional text help documentation in the addition manuals area linked to in the sticky. The essentials are there, but you are correct, you have to purge the loco and/or decoder from your app and the new owner scans for and finds it with their app. The only real difference is they have logged into the app using their Hornby account, not yours. As such there is no restrictive licence conditions to be complied with such as seen in Rail-Master.

• 4 weeks later...

Been exercising the old grey matter regarding the use of the wrong app (HM6000) and ending up with a seemingly useless decoder. It may be totally irrelevant but I’ve had a similar experience with Over The Air (OTA) updates albeit in a WiFi environment. Part of the code will be dedicated to the OTA functionality and when an update happens all the code (inc OTA bit) gets overwritten so the updated code has to include the OTA code. Clearly the HM7000 can be updated with HM6000 code and if this is done, OTA functionality will be lost. 

Since the HM7000 can work in DCC mode (ie without Bluetooth) might it be possible to update the code from new app without Bluetooth (making sure it’s turned off in the iPad). This may be how Hornby install the default profile in the first place. Having successfully installed a HM7000 and got it working, I have no inclination to try this out but if you’ve now got a non worker because you updated with HM6000 code it may be worth a try - what have you got to lose?

The updates come via the internet from the Hornby server in the app as do the sound profiles. They are then loaded to the decoder OTA by way of the app.

The only cure is a bottom up reload using a specific Toolbox developer app, but again these loads are OTA.

I guess the production factory has a hard-wire load but that sort of data file and associated kit will not be available to Gen-Pop.

I have bricked a HM7040 test dongle by loading a 6010 firmware over it. The device then takes on a 6010-#### ID rather than in my case a 7040-#### ID. Trying to reload the correct package is impossible at my level as the app cannot see a 7040 to load onto, only a 6010 for which it has no files.

“The only cure is a bottom up reload using a specific Toolbox developer app, but again these loads are OTA.”

If my assumption that the OTA code gets removed when the HM6000 app (which presumably doesn’t have or even need OTA functionality) then even Hornby would not be able to use OTA for reloads. I assume they must have hardwired mechanism for doing this.

“The only cure is a bottom up reload using a specific Toolbox developer app, but again these loads are OTA.”

If my assumption that the OTA code gets removed when the HM6000 app (which presumably doesn’t have or even need OTA functionality) then even Hornby would not be able to use OTA for reloads. I assume they must have hardwired mechanism for doing this.

Have a read of pages 42/43 of the famous manual.

I think when a decoder is mis-ID’d by a wrong update the problem is the software only looks for update files relevant to the device type, I.E. 7000-, 6000-, 6010-, 7040-.

I bricked a 7040 ID say -xyzz by somehow loading it with a 6010 file and it’s ID became 6010-xyzz and although I could see the correct update file for the 7040 in the Toolbox developers app it was greyed out as the app had filtered 6010 as the only live files available based on the false ID. Hence I had to send the test article back to Hornby.

I presume Hornby Tech has a workaround that allows for direct picking of any file from a master suite to be able to overwrite the duff load with the correct one to get things back into fettle. My test sample awaits re-issue back to me in the next test Phase. I expect any 7000 decoders returned due to wrong load have similarly been fettled and recommissioned as replacements.

• 3 months later...

Colin the best advice is to read and follow the instructions and recommendations carefully and follow the steps to the letter. Also follow best practice and be sure you have rock solid WiFi and turn off all notifications etc on your phone/tablet so the setup process is not interrupted.

Thanks SteveM6, I assume I need a reset code from Hornby as the App comes up under Resettable Devices "HM6010_850" which is probably from when I first tried it with the QR code pointing to the wrong app.

Unfortunately, choosing the wrong app means your decoder now thinks it is an HM6000 and needs to be persuaded otherwise. Give Hornby customer services a ring in the morning and they will provide a one shot reset code to get you back to square one.

Once you set it back up you will be able to find the reset code for future reference on the settings page of the app.

Just be aware that after you have reset it, undertake a power cycle of the app and the decoder (switch them off for a good five mins to be sure). When you first scan for the decoder after resetting, it may still show as a resettable device (a known glitch) in which case a second power cycle (decoder and app) and a second rescan should move it to linkable status.

@Colin - the answer to what your first step should be depends entirely on what you did when following the QR code took you to the wrong app.

• If (as others did) you followed the on-screen instructions (in the wrong app) to upgrade the firmware that will have made the decoder non-user-recoverable and it will need returning to Hornby to have the correct firmware reblown onto it (which is the warning 96RAF gave). In this case contact hm.customercare@hornby.com to arrange return.

• Alternatively if you simply linked the decoder (but didn’t alter firmware) then simply resetting decoder within the HMDCC app (as SteveM6 & Daedalus are suggesting) should work.

The only way to move these posts is gor a mod to generate a new thread and copy and paste each post across there, but all posts will be under the mods name. Likely not worth doing. Much better if Colin had started a new thread and all contributors to the topic do their own copy and paste, then delete over here.

Colin, just to be clear on the steps you need to take:

Delete the HMDC app completely to avoid any future confusion.

Call Customer Services on 01843 233525 to initiate the returns process for a reblown decoder.

When the repaired decoder is back in your hands make sure you have opened and registered the HMDCC app before trying to link the new decoder.

When you open the app, go to the settings page and click on ‘link device’. It may show as a resettable device - as I said before, that’s a known glitch so don’t panic. If it does, power off the decoder, app and phone/tablet and leave them for a few minutes. Power them all back up and rescan and it should now show as a linkable device - click the button and away you go.

I can see this happening lots as the digital sets actually start arriving in peoples' laps. My sets haven't arrived yet but as I'm already up and running I'll be ok. For many it'll be their first dip, hopefully the instructions will be very clear.

If not, it's gonna be a busy weekend here, and a busier couple of days next week at HQ.

With any luck, this post is now mostly history. New to DCC/HM | DCC people were doing this when looking for the correct app before it was available.

By rights now it will only happen if people searching the App Store are presented with both the DC and DCC apps and pick the wrong one.