HM7000 Suggestions box for improvements

David-348062

Just now, GMD said:

Thanks RAF - I think I understand that, and if I follow your meaning correctly that is not what I am envisaging. I like the tactile feel of a physical controller - either a slider or a turn-knob. When you do that on any current DCC-compliant controller it creates a signal, which signal is then transmitted through two wires, then on to the track and through this to the decoder, and the addressed loco responds accordingly. 

What I would love to see is some adapter that tricks the DCC controller into thinking its the track, when in reality it is intercepting the signal, recoding it as an equivalent HM7k-compliant instruction, which is then sent over bluetooth to the HM7k decoder in the loco. 

That may be impossible to achieve - or (more likely!!) impossible to decipher my logic - but allow me to dream! 

A bluetooth tactile controller was mooted at the very first video about HM7K, which would talk to the app and hence to the radio decoders.

• Thanks 1

@GMD the following suggestions:
• a tactile interface for Bluetooth control (which is very similar to your request.)
&
• a Bluetooth equivalent of the eLink - (removing need for select/elite with dongle) for those who like touch control of all locos.

…have been put to both Hornby (during Q&As) & the HM7k devs, however the response has only been either ‘never say never’ or silence.  So whilst the relevant personnel are certainly aware of those requests - Hornby are only likely to proceed if whatever black magic involved, indicates that those are profitably viable options!

• Thanks 1

It would be nice to see the CV settings in the Adv. CV editor when a loco is not active. I have a couple of A1’s but a limited layout. So if I want to take over settings from one to the other, I don’t have to put the first one on the track to read the current CV settings. 
(I hope I’m making myself a bit clear).

1 hour ago, Loewietje said:

It would be nice to see the CV settings in the Adv. CV editor when a loco is not active. I have a couple of A1’s but a limited layout. So if I want to take over settings from one to the other, I don’t have to put the first one on the track to read the current CV settings. 
(I hope I’m making myself a bit clear).

Unfortunately if a loco is inactive then you cannot access it to copy over any settings, but if the proposed suggestion to be able to export not only functions but also CV values then maybe that could be made to work 'off-line'.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve-738643 said:

How do I switch it on, do I have to alter that CV, if I press the brake squeal button it just works once? 

AFC (F28) is switched on from the button on page three of the function controls on the app.

Edited by SteveM6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Loewietje said:

Thanks. On the A1 (OO) it has the whistle preset, not the brake sound. 

Lights and background sound are the always on selections. Anything else needs to be configured if the profile does not include it, e.g. brake squeal at stop. See the famous manual page 66 onwards.

• Like 1

I have to say, for me, HM7000 brought the fun back in DCC.  The ease of reading, writing and playing with the settings without the abstractness of CV numbers. Everything’s there, with the description and all, just with a touch of a finger. 

• Like 1

Someone has made this suggestion elsewhere but put here in the correct place now.  Separate to BT aerial from the decoder PCB to limit its size. Two possibilities to consider:

• make the aerial a flexible stick-on which can then be put somewhere and wired back to the decoder PCB, or
  • start including it in loco body mouldings. 
  • Like 2

Look at the way a USB stick has shrunk in size but expanded in capacity over the years. They are at the point of the plug being bigger than the gubbins. I am sure decoders will continue down a similar road towards everything on a single chip with no external components except the plug.