Is there a problem with the order of messages in the forum?

I recently posted on an existing thread by "quoting" part of an earlier posting. But today returning to that thread, my posting is now not there. It was just after I posted it and remained there until I closed the session on my PC. Refreshing the screen to see any possible reply.

I used the Google advanced search as recommended on a posting here. But was unable to find my last posting. I also searched for another word (which was included in my “quote”) and the word was not found. The word: Lenovo appears in a number of topics.

Why are postings missing from certain topics?

I’ve also noticed that folk are answering questions that don’t appear earlier in the topic. This is quite widespread. Any suggestions, please?

@landyman - This forum has 2 quirks which combined have resulted in your confusion.

• In each forum topic/query/thread after a certain number of posts (less if the first post is quite long) the forum separates the posts into multiple ‘pages’ - that can only be accessed/changed at the bottom of the ‘page’.

• The initial post is repeated at the top of every ‘page’.

What you are observing is that your latest post initially appeared at the bottom of the first page - however after closing & re-opening your browser the forum has started a second page, with your latest post as the ‘first/second’ post (after repeated post.)

Depending on whether you view first or second page - original replies or latest replies appear/disappear!

@ LT&SR_NSE, no sometime posts mysteriously disappear. I wished to refer to a post about the Turbomotive upgrade and when I went back to the thread the post had disappeared. I suspect that at times if Hornby don't like the post (for some reason) they have it deleted.

@sxbiker - conspiracy theories aside, the forum rules clearly state that posts can be removed without warning or explanation - so if Hornby were (however unlikely) it’s hardly nefarious!

Back on topic - disappeared/removed posts are rare & certainly not widespread. Whereas if someone isn’t aware that threads can contain multiple pages - that would certainly make it appear a widespread issue!

Finally Landyman commented on his own post appearing & then disappearing - I have observed this occurring when a post causes a new page to start.

Yes I am sure sometimes they do lose the odd one. You could think it is a conspiracy but generally it is just something in the system not censorship. Sometimes it takes so long to load you do wonder if it accepted it, quite often it takes so long that the contributor hits the save button multiple times that multiple posts appear, so it would not be surprising if it completely misses it.

@landyman - This forum has 2 quirks which combined have resulted in your confusion.
• In each forum topic/query/thread after a certain number of posts (less if the first post is quite long) the forum separates the posts into multiple ‘pages’ - that can only be accessed/changed at the bottom of the ‘page’.
• The initial post is repeated at the top of every ‘page’.
What you are observing is that your latest post initially appeared at the bottom of the first page - however after closing & re-opening your browser the forum has started a second page, with your latest post as the ‘first/second’ post (after repeated post.)
Depending on whether you view first or second page - original replies or latest replies appear/disappear!

Thanks LT&SR_NSE.

Perhaps this and other forum “quirks” could be listed in a fixed at the top posting.

I was aware of your first built point, but not the second. This would explain replies to posts that don’t appear above.

You then posted:-

“Finally Landyman commented on his own post appearing & then disappearing - I have observed this occurring when a post causes a new page to start.”

This is quite possible. This (a second posting) also raises the problem in this forum of not being able to multiple quote.

Thanks again.

EDIT:

Immediately viewing my posting shows another problem. Single blank lines between paragraphs when typing become double after posting.

I remember a thread once got slightly off topic about a members birthday, several members wished happy birthday, and next time I checked the thread, it had been cleaned back to a point before any mention of the birthday.

Whether you want to call it Hornby, or the mods, these posts don't just disappear, they're removed. This happens on every forum. Sometimes it's completely unnecessary, and other times it's just making sure the rules are followed.

Landy

The extra line space quirk has been covered multiple times, so unless you spend most of your time on Mars you could not fail to know about it. Go back and edit out all white space on your post and note the difference once posted.

As to a sticky for quirks, there isn’t room as the list would too long, so it ain’t going to happen. Nor are many of them likely to get fixed anyhow as we have been trying for at least 2 years, putting forward valid argument for forum glitches to be fixed and improvements to be made. Latest promise is at the next forum revision which will be a new platform.

As this thread relates to forum issues it has been moved to where it should have been posted in the first place.

@landyman - there already is a pinned post like you request, it is titled “Important Information for New Members…” - no need for additional threads/stickies!

https://uk.hornby.com/community/forum/important-information-for-new-members-registering-for-the-forum-updated-29th-march-2023-309399?ccm_paging_p=1#end-of-replies

@RDS - could I politely request that you add the above ‘quirks’ (thread pages access controls at bottom of thread & repeated first post) to your helpful guide for new members?

@RDS - could I politely request that you add the above ‘quirks’ (thread pages access controls at bottom of thread & repeated first post) to your helpful guide for new members?

I am happy to add additional information. Please add a proposal below, of what you would like added.

Threads with multiple posts

Once a thread contains a certain number of posts (less if the first post is quite long) the forum separates the posts into multiple ‘pages’ - that can only be accessed/changed at the bottom of the ‘page’.

The initial post is repeated at the top of every ‘page’.